No 41 primers

akinswi

berettaprofessor,

Interesting results, usually with magnum primers you get better ignition which should typically result in lower SD. So maybe they are not reacting like magnums? I wish you could test the 450s. compare the results.

The Load you used was it originally worked with the CCI 400s?

I usually work up a load with different primers because I have found that I dont always get the same barrel harmonics with same powder charge and different primers.

It depends on the powder and how easily it lights up and sustains pressure, how large or small its bulk density is (how much empty air space it has), and also on how fast it lights up. Either can be the one that does better depending on these circumstances.

The size of the dimple made in a primer doesn't tell you how much energy was transferred to the priming mix because it doesn't account for how rigid the support from the anvil is behind the priming mix, which is what CCI found makes the sensitivity difference.

The only way I know to reliably test primer sensitivity is with the formal setup. This has primers in a fixture that acts as a primer pocket with the open end pointed to the ceiling. A primer is placed anvil-down into it and a floating firing pin is set on top of the primer. A standard weight ball held above it by an electromagnet is released from a calibrated height to fall squarely onto the firing pin. The weight of the ball times the height of the drop determines the number of inch-lbs of energy in the impact on the firing pin. This is called a height test or h-test. Below is a military spec.

attachment.php

The Load you used was it originally worked with the CCI 400s?

Yes, but I wouldn't really stand by it as a "worked up" load. It was a decent velocity node but never panned out to be a sub-moa load with that rifle....better with the Savage axis. The Stag AR liked the 52 grain ELD's.