NJ to ban F16 fighter planes?

Jamie Young

F16 fires on NJ school

Saw it on the local news and found it on Drudge.

I'm waiting to see how many NJ mothers call for the disarming of fighter planes. :eek:

F-16 Fighter Fires At School In New Jersey
Incident Happened On Training Mission

POSTED: 3:56 pm EST November 4, 2004
UPDATED: 5:27 pm EST November 4, 2004

LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. -- A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission Wednesday fired 25 rounds of ammunition that tore through an intermediate school. No one was injured.

Slideshow: Jet Fighter Shoots At Intermediate School

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School shortly after 11 p.m.

Police were called to the area when a custodian heard what sounded like someone running across the roof of the school. The custodian was the only person in the school at the time.

Police Chief Mark Siino on Thursday said police officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside the building.

The 2-inch long bullets are made of lead and do not explode, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard.

It was unclear why the shots were fired, Webster said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other High-Interest Stories
Slideshow: Car Drives Through Philly Convenience Store
Slideshow: The 2004 Election In Pictures
Slideshow: Rape Victim Spots Alleged Attacker On TV Show
Slideshow: Iceland Volcano Eruption Sets Off Tremors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot Fired From 7,000 Feet At School

New Jersey public schools were closed Thursday because of a teachers convention. The Ocean County school is scheduled to reopen Monday.

The pilot of the single-seat jet was supposed to fire at a target on the ground three and half miles away from school on the Warren Grove firing range, Webster said.

The military firing range covers parts of Little Egg Harbor, Bass River and Woodland townships in the southern part of the state.

"We don't know what happened that caused the gun to fire," Webster said.

The plane was 7,000 feet in the air when the shots were fired. The gun, an M61-A1 Vulcan cannon, is located in the plane's left wing.

"The National Guard takes this situation very seriously," said Lt. Col. Roberta Niedt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "The safety of our people and the surrounding communities are our foremost concern."

The jet that fired the rounds was assigned to the 113th Wing located at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. The fighter jet returned there after firing the shots, Webster said.

Webster would not identify the pilot or detail possible disciplinary measures.

Mike Dupuis, president of the township's Board of Education, said there were no precautions the school district could have taken to prevent such an incident.

School workers are mindful that the range is nearby, he said.

"Being so close to the range, that's always in the back of our minds. It is very scary. I have children in that school and relatives that work there," he said.

The school houses students from grades three to six.

The range has been used by the military since the end of World War II, long before the once-rural area was developed.

Copyright 2004 by NBC10.com The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Brick

[uber rant]
The gun, an M61-A1 Vulcan cannon, is located in the plane's left wing... Mike Dupuis, president of the township's Board of Education, said there were no precautions the school district could have taken to prevent such an incident...The school houses students from grades three to six.

NOBODY CARES!!!

"Being so close to the range, that's always in the back of our minds. It is very scary. I have children in that school and relatives that work there," he said.

Then why was it built there
SleepSmiley.gif

The range has been used by the military since the end of World War II, long before the once-rural area was developed.

Why wasn't it left rural? :barf:

[/uber rant]

Did the weapon have a detachable magazine and two or more of the following characteristics:
-A folding or telescoping stock
-A pistol grip
-A bayonet mount
-A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one
-A grenade launcher or mount for a rifle grenade?

Casp_A

NOBODY CARES!!!
I'll bet the people at the school (especially that janitor) care, and I'll bet the military cares. That pilot is gonna get grilled good.

I won't call a flight control stick a pistol grip, but I'm sure someone will. I won't call a large, long and somewhat pointy pitot tube at the end of a radome a bayonet, either. Also, it uses a 515 round magazine in that particular configuration.

:D :D :D

gifted

Last I knew it was 510 rounds. I wonder how many rounds he fired.

How do you mistake a school, with lit up parking lots and playgrounds around it, no doubt with houses with lights around it, for part of the range?

Brick

Casp_A,

I meant that all those irrelevant details.

Like "The gun had a pistol grip and a flash hider."

He probably hadn't confirmed the aiming point to where the gun was pointing.

Ignition

hmmmm

it was said that there has been the firing range, since ww2, only 3 miles from the school, and it was night, but thats still really no excuse for not knowing where your shooting at.

look at the bright side of a very dark issue:
no one was killed
it was ammunition not bomb ordinance
no one can take and use this case to ban anything, except that pilots career.

Alvis

This is exactly why the 1994 AWB should have been renewed. From September 1994 to September 2004 there were no schools shot by high capacity "Assault" Aircraft. I'm moving to a more rational country like England where I know my kids will be safe.

mete

The news on the radio said "fortunately the rounds were not loaded" ???? The bullets didn't explode I guess....It all gives new meaning to "homeland security". :confused:

Wallew

K80G,

No country NEEDS an F16

You are CORRECT. EVERY country on our side NEEDS F-22 Raptors.

Ignition,

it was said that there has been the firing range, since ww2, only 3 miles from the school

Which means the SCHOOL was probably BUILT long after the firing range had been in operation. If that's the case, WHY in GODS NAME does ANYONE build a school close to a firing range? That is an accident waiting to happen.

Just curious.

Quartus

Some of you think it's funny that a school got shot up???

You guys really know how to make gun owners look good!

Sick bunch of pukes! :barf:

mete

Another radio news broadcast says the weren't direct hits, the were peripheral hits they didn't detonate.??? Maybe only the empty cases ??