Nickel Plated Guns- Lubrication & Sovents

Russ

I have a couple of Nickel finish semi-auto's. I have been warned not to use Hoope's #9 on them as it will trash the finish. I think some of the Shooter's Choice stuff will do the same.

Can anyone tell me what you use and what is a good lubricant for Nickel and bore cleaners that will not harm the Nickel finish?

Thanks.

Peter M. Eick

I have used hoppes #9 on my nickled colt diamondback for nearly 20 years, and no problems yet. It is very important that you remove all of the solvent though or at least that is what I have done. Then I heavily oil it with hoppes and no problmes.

Peter's right. For general cleaning, it's no problem as long as you get it all off.

The solvent doesn't attack the nickel, it attacks the copper plating on which the nickel is applied.

I simply don't know if Hoppes would be a problem with electroless guns or not.

Ledbetter

Nicks

Preexisting nicks in the nickel can also be a problem if they allow the solvent to seep into the copper base.

I save the Shooters' Choice for the bore and the steel parts and use CLP on the nickel. If it gets really dirty I polish with some Flitz.

Regards.

Snowdog

From my understanding, it is completely kosher to use Hoppes #9 on electoless nickel finishes, since the nickel is bonded directly to the metal surface of the firearm.

Personally, I use Break Free CLP on my electoless nickel K9 (factory) and Kimber Custom Classic (aftermarket/EABCO).
I use this as both the solvent and lubrication/rust prevention.

Both those handguns look good as new.

Russ

Thanks all for your insights. I read a thread the other day that said to keep some solvents away from the Nickel and it freaked me out. Not much detail however. I haven't had any problems before with Shooters Choice since I wipe away any excess but I wanted to make sure.

Blazer72

I use only Eezox on all my guns. It will not harm Nickel in any way and after it is on you will not even be able to fingerprint the surface. It is also the finest bore cleaner, lubricant and protector I have ever used. Just my 0.02.

bountyh

You can use acetone, lacquer thinner, carburetor cleaner and the like (gun cleaner spray) with no harm to nickel. Use any good oil you want.

djsjd

Second the EEZOX - good stuff that also provides outstanding corrosion resistance. However, I've found that I like using MPro7 for tough fouling, then apply the EEZOX to finish things off.

djsjd

Sissy gun it is!

If the BG can see my big, shiny sissy gun, and that's enough to make him stop what they're doing - we'll that's just fine with me. Rather not have to use force.

Kinda like *seeing* danger - one can instantly recognize the level of threat if it can be *seen*. Hopefully that'll be enough to make things stop right then and there. If not, well I see that being a feather in my defense-cap. My weapon *wasn't* invisible to the BG, and was therefore another indication of a DEFENSIVE measure.

MR.G

I have two older S&W model 19 nickel revolvers in my collection. One has never been fired, and both are in perfect condition. I am afraid to shoot them because of what I have read previously on TFL, and what people have told me about nickel finishes being damaged by cleaning. I just bring them out once in a while and look at them. Sometimes tempted to trade them for shootable guns.

Russ

Again, thanks for your input. And no, they are not Lorcins! I do have a Jennings in hard chrome however. Actually, the guns I was referring to were a Browning Hi Power and a CZ 85 Combat. Very nice guns both.

MR. G.,

Don't be afraid to shoot them. I heard all this stuff about Nickel finishes getting trashed on this board also hence my concern. However, if you look at the posts above, there is no reason to worry. I have used Shooters Choice and Hoppes for years. I guess I did it right. Finish is still there. Just wipe them down good and oil them a little.

I have one of the last production runs of the Electroless Nickel Browning Hi Powers. I got it around 86 or 87. I have shot it quite a bit. I used Shooters Choice and Hoppes #9 to clean the bore. I always wiped any excess off the Nickel finish.

See what Ledbetter. Peter and Mike said above. It holds true for me as well. I just got freaked because you hear these horror stories sometimes. It would appear with CLP and EEZOX, that there would be no worries at all.

I also have an 1855 Colt Side Hammer revolver in Nickel. I don't know how it was cleaned over the years but the Nickel is still almost all there. A few patches but nothing major. This is a real antique and I don't shoot it but it goes to show that Nickel is a durable finish.

Peter M. Eick

I would not get rid of my "nickle plated sissy gun" because it was around and being shot before any glock even existed.

Heck, some of them "nickle plated sissy gun"s were being shot before Gaston Glock being born and most probably are still being shot.

So, I will continue to shoot the "nickle plated sissy gun" and relish the time of hand fitted (from the factory, not a gunsmith) revolvers from a kinder and gentler time when the 38 special was enough for "real men" and the 9mm was still called the "9mm Parabellum".

And then I will shot my G20 with full power 10mm's. (Just because I like my old Diamondback, does not mean I do not also appreciate the glock in 10mm).

Last edited:

maxwayne

Mr. G., I have a large number of nickel Smiths and shoot all of them. Just clean them like any other gun. I do use Flitz also.

Hal

Last count I had 8 nickel finished guns. All of them get cleaned with Ballistol. An old timer told me Hoppe's #9 would turn the nickle yellow back when I bought the first one many moons ago. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know the #9 bottle cautions against soaking a nickel finish with #9. I've also used CLP, but switched to Ballistol because it's cheaper and it's worked just as well.