nicked my gun by accident. anyone else care to share their oh crap! stories?

Venom1956

oh these two arent mine persay but witnessed them. first was a guy trying to do the fancy 'one-handed' press check on some kimber 1911, was going good until he fumbled and dropped it thru the top of the glass display case and busted the glass shelf beneath as well. so it was like instant nicks on 10 1911s in under 5 seconds.thats gotta be a record in wi. the other was a kid my age 20's picking up a very nice colt police positive without permission flopping the cylinder out spinning it and flipping it shut while it spun. which turned a perfectly operational colt with a great trigger into a paperweight with a bend part that bound the cylinder and action. i saw it after it was returned to working order, it wasnt a quarter of what it had been. i was impressed that the owner kept his cool the entire time.you could see how angry/upset he was in his eyes but he was very professional despite it.

MyGreenGuns

Two come to mind. One a handgun, one a rifle.

I had just bought my XD9, first handgun, second gun ever.

I examined all the goodies when I got home.

It has a mag loader with the female side of an accessory rail on it, so I tried it on the gun. It slid on nice and tight and clicked into place. It looked funny, but it was the first time I'd ever had anything mounted to a handgun.

When I tried to remove it however, it wouldnt budge! I held the release levers and pulled with all my might and it finally popped off. The groove where the accessory locked in had flashing leftover from the mould and part of that had now been scraped away.

I used an exacto knife and cleaned it up, so you wouldnt really notice, if you weren't looking for it.

What I did to the rifle was worse! :(

Shadi Khalil

It's happened more times then I can count. The only gun that does not have them is my EDC because it lives in a holster 19 hours a day then sleeps on my night stand.

uwtriguy

Busted

After a run I left a sweaty thumb print on the barrel of my M9A1 by accident while showing my friend the new weapon. Didn't know it at the time. I figured it out a couple weeks later when I went to retrieve it for some shooting. There was a rusty thumb print on the barrel. I should have taken a picture. It looked like the gun was dusted for prints with rust colored dust.

Thankfully it was really just surface rust. Some oil helped clear it up and there is really nothing left but a tiny bit of discoloration which blends in with the other normal use markings.

Iron Man

Since I almost always buy used guns, I buy all my guns pre-scratched (with the exception of my Walther PPQ). That way I don't have to worry about them. But, really very few have had any marks. I got a stainless Interarms PPK/S that had a lot of carry marks on it really cheap. I sent it to an engraver and it is a beauty.

The one mark that bugs me the most is on my Uberti Henry rifle. All of the blueing is that bright jewel blue (gorgeous). A spider went across the barrel and left a strand of web behind. The web actually removed the bluing! Now I have this little shiny streak across the barrel.

Sulaco2

Hate to admit this but some time ago, like 15 years I was carrying a Sea Camp .32 SS pistol in a holster attached to body armor. The pistol is so flat and light I most often forgot I was carrying it and got off shift. Walked out to my car and took off the uniform shirt and then slid my armor off over my head.......well the pistol went flying out onto the asvalt parking lot and has some "nice" character building scratches on the back of the slide. Want to kick my own A*$#& every time I remember that stupid move. :mad:

hoytinak

Hate to admit this but some time ago, like 15 years I was carrying a Sea Camp .32 SS pistol in a holster attached to body armor. The pistol is so flat and light I most often forgot I was carrying it and got off shift. Walked out to my car and took off the uniform shirt and then slid my armor off over my head.......well the pistol went flying out onto the asvalt parking lot and has some "nice" character building scratches on the back of the slide. Want to kick my own A*$#& every time I remember that stupid move.

I actually washed/dryed my Seecamp LWS32 once. Forgot it was in the pocket, put the jeans in the wash, then the dryer. Didn't know it till I heard the loud clanging noise bouncing around in the dryer. :eek:

RAMZ707

I ran over my buddies browning hi-power 9mm !!! The pistol was holstered on the roof of my truck as we were loading up after a day of target practice. So as I drove away my friend said wait my browning is on the roof! So I stopped, it wasn't there!! I turned around and slowly drove back to the site we were shooting, there it was lying in the dirt with a tire track right over it!!! We cleaned it lubed it and put three mags through it. The gun was scratched, dirty and run over but it shot great. So don't feel bad, accidents will happen.

Last edited:

swopjan

My first guns were a pair of engraved 1851 Navy revolvers. Having done some homework (but not enough) beforehand, I wanted to be able to disassemble and reassemble them for cleaning before I took them to the range.

After struggling with the barrel lugs for a few minutes I decided I must be doing something wrong, at which point I did do something wrong and removed the grips, hammers, triggers, and various pistol guts. I tried valiantly to reassemble both pistols, but once I'd snapped a little piece that rotates the cylinder, I knew I was doing more harm than good and my language was no better. They're sitting in a shoebox now awaiting a replacement piece and a trip to a gunsmith that won't be for a while yet... :(

PT-92

Who Hasn't?

If you been around long enough and actually use your guns frequently (some people just have 'safe queens' which never see the light of day), you will eventually drop one or bang/scratch it somehow. Honestly, you learn that life is too short to sweat it, learn and move on. Now if one becomes a frequent offender, then start kicking yourself ;). By the way, the adverse reaction is always relative for me and directly proportional to the value of the weapon. I dropped my Kel-Tec P11 and Beretta 21A both on concrete in the same year and simply used a black sharpie to cover scratch as the guns are great little pieces but hardly worth crying over (those are the only guns I have ever dropped). If, however, I ever dropped say my stainless 92 or pristine 1911 which are range guns only and of much higher value, my reaction would have been quite different immediately following the moment of stupidity.

Winchester_73

One time at a museum I was handling General Pattons SAA and I dropped it, breaking both sides of the ivory grip. Needless to say, the museum was kinda mad. At least I didn't drop his Registered Magnum I guess :eek:

MagnumWill

Yep, 1911 idiot mark for me here. So far, my New Agent hasn't received it, but my father-in-law's Colt Combat Commander .38 Super did. :smackface:

Maybe I'll look into how to lessen it a bit a little later on.

MagnumWill

One time at a museum I was handling General Pattons SAA and I dropped it, breaking both sides of the ivory grip

Whoa-is this true????? no kidding? you're joking, right???

That's like saying you spilled coffee on the Constitution, man! :eek:

TennJed

Ok.. Back in the 80's I got into an arguement with my now ex wife. Instead of letting it escalate into a fight I walked out and got in my 4X4 Blazer to leave. As I started to drive off she stepped out the front door and unloaded my 1875 Remington 45 into the side of the truck and then threw the gun, which bounced off the truck into the street. I still have the Remington to this day,(with scratches on the barrel) but not the wife.

What about the truck?

Edward429451

First time out with my (then) new 10/22, I was in Phantom Canyon small gaming. This is a very deep box canyon and quite a hike to the top where all the game is. I stayed up top too long and found myself walking down in the dark. The moon was out providing some light, but it was hard to tell if those patches of snow were the trail, or a small drift beside the trail! Oof!

I guess it was like the third time I hit the ground before I stopped protecting my sweet little new 10/22 and said heck, I wanna reach the bottom alive so I decided to use that new 10/22 as a walking stick to test the trail with. It worked great butt first and had all sorts of character by the time I safely reached the bottom again.

That was some trip. I had 3 mountain lions walk up behind me and snap a twig when I was waiting out a squirrel to show himself up top. I turned my head to look and they was inside of 20 feet to me. I dunno who was scared more me or them! Then lost my glasses on the way down, and beat the crap out of that wood stock. A very fine day hunting! (It's in a BC folder now).

shaunpain

The only new gun I ever bought, 1911, I scratched on the range table. I was really angry and upset at the time, and for probably a month or so longer, but I eventually got over it. I could really care less now. It's not that noticeable and the gun runs fine. All of my other guns have some definite wear. When I was kid watching all those war movies, all those heroes were shooting pretty rough looking guns. I'd prefer mine the same way!