Newbie to This Forum

sdw1961

Hi...I just registered for this forum. I don't own a gun and in fact are scared of them. Even just posting in this forum is scary for me. I did join for the purpose of purchasing a particular gun for a surprise to a very special friend of mine who collects guns but is computer illiterate. Since I'm here I thought I would try to overcome my fright and learn more about guns. The world is so mean and I'm a single female. I don't think my little dog would do me much good if someone broke in on me and it's already been attempted once.
Are there any pointers or starting places that would help me overcome my fear and get more acquainted with a handgun and what type of gun should I consider for myself?
By the way...I was married to a Law Enforcement Officer for 10 years about 10 years ago and he did take me to an indoor and an outdoor shooting range, but I was horrified. The sound scared me and I was not confident when holding and shooting a handgun...in fact I jammed his automatic hand gun a couple of times. But I did like the 22 Rifle that he had me fire and was pretty darn good with it. Nevertheless, I'm still scared and must overcome my fright for my safety.
Please help :confused:

nate45

Hello, welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, firearms are very dangerous when misused and very dangerous to their intended target when properly used. So, while the vast majority of members of this forum are not fearful of firearms(unless perhaps they're pointed at us) we do respect them for the deadly weapons they are.

As fearful as you are of firearms, I'm not sure advising you to own one is a good idea. If one uses one to defend themselves they must be prepared to use deadly force. Simply owning one and displaying it to an aggressor is not enough.

Therefore, if you are serious about getting one for defense, you must not only throughly learn to safely shoot and handle it; you must accept the fact that to use one for defense, means you may have to use deadly force. Nothing less will do.

If you do not feel, that if forced to defend yourself, you will be able to actually shoot another human being. Then by all means do not get one for the purpose of defense.

Below is a link to the web page of one of our moderators and esteemed members. Her thoughts on the subject of armed women may help you in your quest. Good luck!

The Cornered Cat

sdw1961

Thank you for the reply and considerate words. I will NOT think of owning a gun until I get proper training...I'm just wondering if I will have to invest a lot of money on training (which is a must) and still can't get over my fear what do I do to protect myself...another husband is out of the question! :)
At this point I can't say that using deadly force on someone intending on hurting me wouldn't bother me terribly, but if it comes down to my life and safety over a mean/hateful persons evil intentions I would definitely choose me. I just need to get over my fear so that I can be confident with what I'm doing and not hurt myself and I realize there is no margin for mistakes with guns. Thanks for the link....I shall visit it now.

sdw1961

Cornered Cat

Thanks again for the link to the Cornered Cat. I've already learned tons from just one page and am taking notes and printing. The Four Rules shall be on my frig soon so that I am sure they are etched in my mind. Is the lady that created this page in the Firing Line Forum as well? If so does what name does she go by?

Sorry if I'm a bother to you. Just want to learn and be safe.

Sandra

gearhounds

Welcome and no bother whatsoever. It sounds like, while guns make you very uncomfortable, you have an open mind, unlike a LOT of folks that just think they're for killing, and nothing else. Shooting is a great hobby that can boost confidence in one's self, reinforce responsibility, as well as educate. And dang it, be fun in the process! And kudo's for having the where-with-all to recognize that just running out and buying one without more support. Lots of folks have done this, and soured to the prospect, thinking they've made a mistake.

If you do get into guns as a hobby, for self defense, hunting, whatever, be prepared to get sweaty palms when the newest target .22 comes out, or you see a deal on the revolver you've been wanting!

sdw1961

Thank you for the kind welcome gearhounds. I'm loving the Cornered Cat! I've always known to treat a gun like it is always loaded and not to point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to shoot. The other two rules to keep your finger off the trigger and know what is beyond and around the target I hadn't thought of. Maybe I would have after I'd gotten into training...but I printed out the four rules so that they will be etched in my mind and I believe it has relieved a tiny little bit of my anxiety on pursuing this. I've got so much to learn! Hope I make it.

BfloBill

Your attitude and demeanor are perfect for the goals you have set yourself. When I went to firearms training the people who were wary of firearms but had an open mind and wanted to learn (but no experience) often ended up shooting better than the self proclaimed "Experts" who had been shooting for years. The newbies also tended to violate the safety rules less often.
Any good instructor loves a blank slate to work with.
Be safe, have fun, your on the right track.

Glenn E. Meyer

One should go read www.corneredcat.com - by our own mod - Pax and the premiere site for women's related issues. She also has several good book on the issue and recommends others.

Then, look for a specifically female oriented firearms course and you will be fine.

GEM

Evan Thomas

SDW, welcome to TFL from another female member. I'm glad you found this forum -- there are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful folks here, and it's a good place to get your questions answered, or just hang out.

And there are other women here, many of whom have started out where you are now... scared, and dealing with the fear by learning to defend themselves.

You may want to check out this thread: Wo/Men, Handguns and Self-Defense, and read the linked essay by the woman who started it. Lots of stories, some interesting stuff about the ways that women's need to defend themselves is different from what men experience, and -- especially -- why it's so important for women to take responsibility for their own safety. And it'll be a bit of an introduction to some of the other women here.

Skans

Welcome to the forum. Although I am a gun enthusiast, I would never tell someone who doesn't like guns, or is horrified of guns that they need to have one. But, the fact that you seem to want to overcome your fear of guns and discuss this on a forum like this means that, well, maybe you would someday like to have a gun for protection.

You will find lots of friendly folks here willing to help you learn more about guns, shooting and self defense. There are folks here that can help you find beginner's shooting courses in your area if you are interested. That might be a good place to start. If you liked shooting a .22 rifle, then perhaps you would be ok handling a .22 pistol - they still go bang, but have very little recoil. There are plenty of .22 pistols to choose from - revolvers or semi-autos.

I've also found that some first time shooters find an indoor range more intimidating than shooting outdoors. The noise is louder, you can't spread out as much, and folks like to try out their big caliber hand-cannons in there which can be a little intimidating. I personally prefer shooting outdoors.

Buying a gun for someone who collects guns is a tricky thing. Us folks who collect guns tend to get focused on something very particular. Not all guns are the same...in fact, not all guns of the same caliber and made by the same manufacturer are the same...even if they kind of look the same. Its not too different from coin collecting - gotta have that 1893 Carson City Morgan Dollar, AU to complete my collection...

So, if you are going to buy a gun for a friend, make sure you know exactly what he/she wants - that ain't' easy!

I hope you stick around - ask whatever questions you would like, most folks will do their best to try and answer you.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
sdw1961,

My wife had a somewhat difficult beginning with a poor instructor. We found another class with a better instructor, and she got off to a much better start. She's now an NRA certified shotgun instructor. She has often talked about how learning to shoot was very empowering.

I help teach monthly NRA Basic Handgun classes with a group of instructors here, including a woman. We welcome women in our classes, and from the feedback we've gotten they've had positive experiences. They've also done very well.

Unfortunately, we're kind of a long way out of your neighborhood. But I'm confident that you'll be able to find some good help locally.

The very best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Dave R

Is the lady that created this page in the Firing Line Forum as well? If so does what name does she go by?
She goes by PAX. (Latin for peace, if I'm not mistaken.) You can use the search function to find posts by PAX. Or you can send her a private message, through this board. I'm sure she would welcome it.

Two suggestions for you.

You might find another local female friend who shoots, and ask her to take you. You could ask a male friend, too, but you're more likely to run into testosterone issues.

You could also sign up for a concealed carry permit course, or another handgun course in your area. There is no requirement to obtain a carry permit. I just think that course will cover much of what you want to learn. In my area, such course cost $60-$100. You can find them through local NRA reps, local gunstores, or local sporting goods stores.

Feel free to ask us anything. We're not shy about sharing our opinions ;-)

Evan Thomas

Dave R said:
You could also sign up for a concealed carry permit course, or another handgun course in your area.
Big yes to the idea of a handgun course... but as to the concealed carry course -- at least in my state, they expect you to have your own handgun for that. A better idea would be to find a good intro course where the instructor provides several guns for students to try... starting with that .22 pistol. A private lesson or two from a good instructor, a woman for preference, would also be a good starting point.

And that might be a way to get some leads on a friendly woman or two with whom to go to the range; ideally, one where you can rent some guns as a way to find out what fits you and what you're comfortable shooting.

sdw1961

WOW! What a friendly forum. Thank you all for your hospitality and sharing the information and links. It's really nice meeting another female here! I know exactly what kind of gun my friend wants, he's been looking for one in my area The gun is a long name so I may get the words mixed up but I know the words.:) Thank you all so much!! I'm getting a bit more comfortable here and am learning in the process.

glockcompact

First of all your attitude is perfect. If your willing to give it a try I think you will do fine.
I think you will find out that a lot of people on hear love this sport and love to get other people interested in this sport. Don't be intimidated about asking questions on here because most people just want to help.

I agree with previous posts if you can hook up with a local pistol instructor and take some sort of beginning to firearms class it will help you a lot. And I agree with the thought that a female instructor might be better for you if you can find one nearby. There are good male instructors too but a few of us get too macho sometimes. ;)

I love to see other women be able to handle a gun. Once you become familiar with weapons you will feel more secure in life without a doubt. The firearm is the equalizer. It doesn't matter how small you are or how big the attacker is you'll feel much better prepared. I love the fact that my wife is able to handle a pistol. It makes me feel much better when she's home alone.

The firearms industry is a big world. It's easy for someone who is new to firearms to get overwhelmed. Theres so much to learn. Just take your time and keep the attitude you have now and I think you'll do just fine.

Know this too. No one wants to shoot someone. It would be horrible. But if you have no way out... If it's you or the attacker... Atleast you'll have a better chance of surviving.

Good luck. :)

Achilles11B

Welcome to the forum. The more you learn about firearms, the more questions you come across. The more questions you have, the more helpful the members here are. I've learned this firsthand being a member here.

If you can, I recommend a state-run public outdoor shooting range. They are generally cheaper and the range safeties will oftentimes assist new shooters if it's not too crowded.

Skans

I know exactly what kind of gun my friend wants, he's been looking for one in my area The gun is a long name so I may get the words mixed up but I know the words.

Well, you know that we are a curious bunch - do you mind trying to describe what kind of gun you intend on getting your friend? Don't worry, we don't disparage anyone's choice in whatever kind of firearm they decide to get....just curious.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Welcome to The Firing Line, sdw1961!

As you have already seen, we're actually a very friendly bunch. When I read your opening post, I was all prepared to provide a link to The Cornered Cat, but then I got to post #2 and saw that someone had beaten me to it. In fact, those who posted before me covered just about everything that came to my mind. Welcome aboard, and ask whatever questions you may have. The folks around here are plenty knowledgeable and good about answering questions.