Newbie Questions Part II (yes, which gun?)

DanP

Ok, still exploring and reading my way through the many threads... but given the quality replies to my previous post, here it goes:

In addition to the SP101 (intended as a defense unit) I'd like to own a "fun" gun - meaning intended to use at a range for the sport of it (I'm sure there is a better term than "fun" for this).

So all of the carefully researched factors that make a great defensive unit go out the window.

So what attributes should I be looking for?

What caliber / barrel lenght / etc makes for a good gun that can be reasonably / consistently accurate at a range of distances?

Heavy enough to absorb but light enough to use regularly for sessions of a few hundred shells?

I figure the challenge / fun would be striving for greater accuracy at greater distances as one develops more skills.

Partial to revolvers but maybe only because that is what I know, and their (at least perceived) ease of maintenance. Open to suggestions.

SDC

There are boat-loads of .22 revolvers and semi-autos out there that will fill the bill for you, and you won't go broke shooting them either.

Jack19

.22s are always a good choice. Ammo is dirt cheap and recoil is...well...what recoil? They can be used for defense if push comes to shove, and can take small game should the need arise. Lots of versitality.

Kermit

22's are great inexpensive fun. It's not a collection until you have at least one 22lr ;) firearm.

DanP

Thanks folks.

A 22 seems like a sensible but unexciting choice.

I'll rent a couple and see what happens.

But then again, what are the chances that I'll stop after only two handguns? :D

Rovert

Dan, I think you're hooked. :D

It depends on what kind of plinking you want to do. Paper targets, or other? What distances? Competition, or league, such as a bowling pin shoot? It also depends on your budget. If you go with a 1911 (also excellent for home defense), .22 retro kits are available that enable you to use the same gun in an affordable caliber. Barring that, for an all-around caliber, capable of both accuracy and decent power, you might consider a 9mm.

HTH.

DanP

Hmm. Thinking about this a bit further, my personal idea for this fun project would have been more along the lines of mastering a degree of accuracy with something that I consider over-the-top such as one of those fine-looking super Redhawks.

(no, not a "macho" thing, just a "challenge" thing)

Although then again the 22 is logical. Maybe just aim for getting both and keep the SP101 in the middle? :)

Rovert, you bring up some good points:

>>It depends on what kind of plinking you want to do. Paper targets, or other? What distances? Competition, or league, such as a bowling pin shoot?

What are the choices in the average city?

So far I've been scouting local ranges in an expanding radius during my lunch breaks. Seems like paper targets at whatever the standard max distances most ranges provide are my only choices. That'll get boring soon.

I need to find out if there are local clubs that offer more options.

>>It also depends on your budget.

While as concerned with $$ as the next guy, I'd rather take time to buy a quality, lasting piece than get a lesser piece now.

>> ...1911... .22 retro kits...

Wasn't aware retro kits existed, thanks. But I'm still reticent on pistols for some reason, so I'll stick to revolvers for now.

Rovert

What are the [target] choices in the average city?
<snicker> Liberal Democrats. Take yer pick. :D (just kidding...)

All joking aside, you should check out the ranges in your area, and inquire about league shoots. Many ranges host 'tournament' type meets of various kinds, usually for members. For instance, at my range here in NJ, we have a bowling pin shoot every Monday. We set up 4 pins, and shoot 2 turns each at 10 and 20 yards, top 3 shooters with the best time win, times are posted to the website. Other clubs offer trap/skeet (uh... that would be at an open range...), yet others offer 'cowboy' and IPSC style arrangements.

In fact, as you become more friendly with the TFL'ers here, I'm pretty sure you'll find there are a few in your area, and my experience meeting the group here in NJ is that they're all 'salt of the earth' types that are open, honest, friendly, willing to help, and looking for ANY excuse to get out and shoot with a friend. :)

I'm not sure why you're reticent about automatics. I have never had a single equipment based failure. I don't believe that it's because I just got lucky, I believe it's because I bought quality guns. Give an auto a try. If you haven't already made the purchase, I'd give a serious look at a 1911 by a quality maker, because it covers so many bases.

As a home defense caliber, noboby here would second guess it. As a competitive gun, the 1911 platform has been favored by pros for a long time, and the larger caliber and heavier bullet are favored for bowling pin shoots. And, because you can buy a .22 conversion, you get 2 guns for the price of one. There are significant advantages to becoming comfortable with the trigger pull of one gun, before expanding to a second.

Essentially, you get 4 guns for the price of one. Home defense, competition, target practice, a plinker with the .22 conversion, and if you spend the money for a 'customized' model, something of long term investment value. A nice 1911 can be handed down to your children.

Take a look at one of the better models by Kimber, ParaOrdinance, Colt, or another well known maker. I bought the Custom Eclipse, and I'm thrilled with it. Placed 3rd in last Monday's pin shoot, and it was only the second time I competed, and the first time with the 1911 (the first time I shot in the match was with my 9mm P99).

http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2c_performanceproducts.html#goldcup
http://www.paraord.com/pages/limited/p1445ltd.html
http://www.kimberamerica.com/Custom_Custom_Target.htm
http://www.kimberamerica.com/22_Conversion_Kit.htm

HTH!

DanP

Good points, Rovert!

Maybe it is my ignorance about pistols that keeps me away from them... a revolver is beautiful in its simplicity.

I'll find a friend with a pistol and ask for help becoming more familiar, then rent a couple of models.

But then again it may be something more along the lines of Ford vs. Chevy... ;)

Rovert

Dan, if you're anywhere in the NJ area, feel free to touch base, and we can head to the range to get you 'sized up' for the right kind of gun.

peepaw

A 22 seems like a sensible but unexciting choice
Dan you won't realize how exciting a 22 can be till you get to shoot for hours on end, while spending very little money..;)

Dave R

"I'm sure there is a better term than "fun" for this"

No, that's the best term. ;)

And to keep it (nearly) unanimous, an accurate .22 is the way to go. In my case, it was a revolver (S&W 34-I). Its the most accurate pistol I owned, and fun as heck to plink with.

You really need to get outa town and find someplace in the country to plink. Shooting "reactive targets"--anything that gives you instant feedback when you hit it--is more fun that shooting paper. Tin cans, commercial spinny metal targets, balloons, clay pigeons, bottles of water, ice blocks, fruit, a box full of old wet phone books for expansion testing, etc. Just be sure to clean up your mess and pick up your brass.

I also believe it is better training in shooting skills--at least in hunting/defense scenarios. Shooting paper in a controlled environment will show you what the gun will do. Plinking in an uncontrolled environment will show you what YOU can do.

And it adds several new dimensions of fun.

Try setting several paper bags on sticks and "engage multiple targets". Can't do that at the range.

How do you find a good plinking place? Ask people. Ask at the shooting ranges. Ask at the gun shops. Ask shooting buddies. Join a club.

DanP

Yep, gotta find a club or something. Got to be several around here somewhere.

Thanks for the offer, Rovert - luckily I'm in S. Florida though! :)

So found a new reasonable range today and met up with a more experienced friend who brought one of his pistols (a Sig Sauer P230).

Don't know how typical this piece is for evaluating semi-autos.

At the counter he asks for "cheap range ammo" and is given a box of factory .380s, I didn't pay attention to the brand.

Spend some time at the lane going over every part of the gun in detail, loading, unloading, pushing every lever and just plain getting comfortable with it.

Loading the magazine was a bit awkward. Inserting the magazine into the unit was a bit awkward as well. Figured it just takes getting used to.

This particular model has a lever to "un-cock" (sorry, don't know the terminology yet) the hammer... didn't work consistently / smoothly.

So far I'm not in love but lets see.

Get to the point where I'm ready to start taking shots - fire one and the second shell jams the gun! :confused: :eek:

Unjam, reset everything, fire the first shot again and again the thing jams! :mad:

Oh well. My friend is unhappy for many reasons. Thinks that maybe he did not oil or maintain it well enough (unlikely), probably ready to retire the unit.

I proceed to practice with my revolver, which by now looks extra shiny and friendly to me. Of course I offer to let my friend use it too so he can get some shots in. :D :D

Then meantime my buddy goes out front and returns with 9mm FMJ (not sure what the designations mean yet) at the suggestion of the clerk.

Long story short we switched back to the P230 and the gun shot flawlessly from that point on. It was quite nice then!

Strange luck for my intro to pistols I guess.

Don't want to be too quick to form a conclusion but this experience did not exactly inspire confidence.

Are Sigs more sensitive than other mechanisms perhaps?

Rovert

Dan, tried to reply to your PM, but the system here limits message length. Email me, and we can take your earlier questions sidebar.

Shorthand, there are a few factors that could induce a jam in an automatic, ranging from bad ammo, to shooter technique. It also could be the 232 itself (depending on if it's 'broken in'), or the fact that it could be maintenance issues. You said it's not a regular shooter for him, so its possible he didn't maintain it recently. Shoot something like a 226/229, and a few other guns like a Glock, Beretta, or other, and see what happens.

DanP

>>try the Ruger Vaquero or the Colt Model P chambered in .45 Colt. There is a sport called "cowboy action shooting" that you really ought to try.

Not THAT looks like good fun!

Edward429451

I fail to see whats unexciting about 22LR's. Unless of course you cant hit with it for some reason.

I own more 22's than any other caliber, rifle and pistol, and am looking at more!