New Walther

IMightBeWrong

I'm surprised at how much negativity this is getting. It looks like an upgrade to me. I remember when the first images of the VP9 hit here and it was met with plenty of negativity compared to existing options also. Just because the existing PPS is good doesn't mean that the M2 isn't a smart move. We'll see how it does when we can get our hands on examples in shops. I know that I, for one, have been wishing for a while that Walther would apply PPQ ergos to the PPS. My wish has been granted, and it looks like a different trigger also so that may have been upgraded as well. I'm looking forward to seeing these in shops.

As for the mag release, I think it's the right move to go toward the button. It allows for a better grip via the undercut below the trigger guard. I enjoyed my old (and sold) PPQ M1's release when I had it, but I now own a PPQ 45 and I am surprised with how much more comfortable the grip is when I have more of an undercut below the trigger guard. The button also makes it easier to cross over between platforms since only the M1 Walthers and HKs seem to employ them. I wish HK would get with the program now also. They've been employing their mag catch style for well over a decade and the fact that it hasn't taken off illustrates what the vast majority of shooters actually want. I don't mean to put off anybody that likes it but that's my opinion.

Last edited:

dsk

Honestly, there wasn't much of anything wrong with the original PPS, and the mag release re-design is a step backwards (just as it was with the PPQ M2).

I agree. I bought a PPQ M2 first, then decided I liked the M1 better. No worries about accidental mag drops with the paddle safety.

LockedBreech

I'm surprised at how much negativity this is getting. It looks like an upgrade to me. I remember when the first images of the VP9 hit here and it was met with plenty of negativity compared to existing options also. Just because the existing PPS is good doesn't mean that the M2 isn't a smart move. We'll see how it does when we can get our hands on examples in shops. I know that I, for one, have been wishing for a while that Walther would apply PPQ ergos to the PPS. My wish has been granted, and it looks like a different trigger also so that may have been upgraded as well. I'm looking forward to seeing these in shops.

As for the mag release, I think it's the right move to go toward the button. It allows for a better grip via the undercut below the trigger guard. I enjoyed my old (and sold) PPQ M1's release when I had it, but I now own a PPQ 45 and I am surprised with how much more comfortable the grip is when I have more of an undercut below the trigger guard. The button also makes it easier to cross over between platforms since only the M1 Walthers and HKs seem to employ them. I wish HK would get with the program now also. They've been employing their mag catch style for well over a decade and the fact that it hasn't taken off illustrates what the vast majority of shooters actually want. I don't mean to put off anybody that likes it but that's my opinion.

While that's fair enough, I just picked up my first HK (VP9 LE package), and I think their paddle release is miles ahead of the one on my PPS M1.

IMightBeWrong

I just sold my VP9 for another Glock. I will surely have another HK someday but likely a hammer fired option. I really enjoyed the VP9 overall, no complaints, but after years and years of shooting Glocks and being without one after purchasing the VP9 I found myself holding one in a store and realizing that just due to familiarity (and maybe a bit of nostalgia) the Glock actually felt better in my hand. Plus the extra 2 rounds in the 17 given the same size doesn't hurt, either.

As far as the paddle, I prefer a button one way or the other for the reasons listed. As far as Walther vs. HK paddles, they're quite close but I think I somewhat prefer Walther's due to their length which allows me to move my index finger straight down rather than down and back as that is my preferred way of dropping magazines with a paddle.

TunnelRat

The CCP is made by Umarex where the PPS line is made by Walther. While Umarex owns Walther, they are far from the same.

Is Umarex doing the customer service too? Both Umarex and Walther products in the US go to the same place for service, Walther Arms. Origin of manufacture isn't an excuse for poor service, and Ace_Breaker's thread was pretty discouraging. In addition, Beretta, HK, Glock, there are numerous gun manufacturers with multiple factories. The ones I mentioned have factories in foreign countries with a different primary language. If the companies I mentioned can figure out how to get consistent product despite the challenges of distance and culture, why can't Walther and Umarex? I like Walther products. I think the P99 is the most ergonomic handgun ever created, much better than the P30 and VP9 I owned. But at some point those two organizations need to figure out a solution before the excuse wears out.

Fishbed77

Is Umarex doing the customer service too? Both Umarex and Walther products in the US go to the same place for service, Walther Arms.

From all I've heard (which is just internet scuttlebutt, since all my Walther firearms have been flawless, and I've never had to interact with their customer service) Walther America's customer service seems to be somewhat lacking compared to that previously provided by Smith & Wesson. Smith & Wesson may have sucked at marketing Walther firearms, but they had a very good reputation for servicing them.

I hope Walther America is paying attention to threads like these.

TunnelRat

Smith & Wesson may have sucked at marketing Walther firearms, but they had a very good reputation for servicing them.

I do think S&W's customer service department in general is a pretty well-oiled machine after all these years. In fairness, a lot in Ace_Breaker's thread sounds like poorly motivated and coordinated staff.

Bart Noir

Sold the PPQ and keeping the P99

And it is partially because of the too-light mag release button. Really, it is too easy to drop the magazine when not wanted. It sticks part way in with a light touch (sitting in the holster, or when getting the hands around it for a firing grip etc) and then another light touch, and out goes the magazine.

In fact, I was watching a very experienced shooter on a TV show and in the bloopers segment, he dropped the magazine twice when presenting the gun for firing. Made me think . . .

Since the P99 has just as good a trigger as the PPQ (same basic design, once you get past the decocking feature of the P99) I am staying with the P99. I rather like the long paddle levers.

So while I truly want the PPS M2 for the better grip, I would stay with the M1 if the mag release is as touchy as my PPQ's release. I can't wait to try the PPS M2.

Bart Noir
Who is looking forward to seeing the new 5-inch PPQ also.

IMightBeWrong

I've heard about the PPQ magazine release button being too light. Luckily I haven't experienced this in my PPQ 45. It's got good tension on it in my case.

FairWarning

^^^

I believe Walther updated the spring as a result of customer feedback.

Regardless, I prefer the euro paddles of the M1 personally.