New Trap Gun

BigJimP

I know where there is a nice Winchester model 42 ( pump gun in .410 )....Pigeon Grade...and I think it has a 28" barrel...and probably a Mod or Ic choke ..not sure.../ but seller has it on consignment in a local shop for $5K....

It could work for a Trap gun...:D

FITASC

BigJim - at the local club where I shoot, there is a small but growing sub group of shooters who show up on Tuesday with their 42's.

Several shoot FITASC practice with them and do quite well considering the payload size. I do not own a 410 of any make, but I must admit those 42s do seem to have a certain panache unto themselves. They tend to add some allure when you score and give you a good excuse when you miss!:D

BigJimP

I like the excuse part myself....

I have a .410 in an Over Under....30" barrels, XS Skeet model Browning Citori, built by Browning on their 20ga receiver...its a great gun / but I have some mental issues shooting a .410 ...and its hard to get past them, for me at least....

zippy13

Jim...

Back in the day (before O/Us became so popular), Winchester's M-42 was the gun for .410 events. There are still a lot of high grade 42s out there.

Yes, the little gun can be very intimidating and really mess up your head before you fire your first shot.

BigJimP

Sure ...the Winchester pump guns won more tournaments - than I've entered ( in all the clay target sports I've shot ).... I get that.

I like the way the pigeon grade pump guns look..but I've never been really interested in investing in one.../ I'm just more of a Browning Over Under guy...or a BPS pump gun guy...

zippy13

Jim, my friend, don't get me wrong -- I think a high grade M-42 is a lovely gun to look at, but I wouldn't buy one.

Like you, I prefer my .410s in hinge guns. If the shell goes in the chamber there's a good chance it will go off. Putting one in a mag tube is a gamble, especially with reloaded .410s.

TomADC

I like the excuse part myself....

I have a .410 in an Over Under....30" barrels, XS Skeet model Browning Citori, built by Browning on their 20g a receiver...its a great gun / but I have some mental issues shooting a .410 ...and its hard to get past them, for me at least....

I've owned .410's skeet guns a 870,1100 & SKB O/U I'd shoot 25 straight with my 20 or 28 move to the .410 and 19/20 very seldom better sold them all along with the MEC loader never again!!:)

TomADC

Keeping with the thread theme or title, I'm going down tomorrow and put a Browning BPS Trap gun in hock, start my ten day wait here.

eastbank

i own and shoot a rem express .410 and when i get full of myself at the trap range i take it out and put a hole in my ego, 16-25 is very good for me, but i blame it on the modified choke he,he, eastbank.