New to rifle cartridge hand loading

zeke

Am dry tumbling fired brass (walnut), then resizing with imperial wax (or whatever it's call now adays), wiping wax off with rag (in bunches) then dry tumbling again very briefly.

Please pay attention to those saying they check the primer holes after second tumble. Usually pick up several at one time and look into primer hole against white back ground. Am always finding some with walnut lodged in some of the primer holes.

Last edited:

cdoc42

"Please pay attention to those saying they check the primer holes after second tumble. Usually pick up several at one time and look into primer hole against white back ground. Am always finding some with walnut lodged in the primer hole."

Note, the same is true with corn cob media. I knock it out with a tiny punch from a small screwdriver set, but a piece of stiff wire slightly smaller than the pocket hole size will do it as well.

Bart B.

And I've seen .30-06 that had .308 fired in it, and nothing broke. Absent more specific information I don't see how your example is relevant.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the mental picture I get doesn't quite match what you seem to be saying.
A 308 cartridge will wedge its body near its shoulder in a 30-06 chamber and moves forward very little as the firing pin impact fires the round.

The 300 Savage cartridge case body is shorter head to shoulder and diameters than the 308 chamber and can be fired if the extractor holds it when the firing pin smacks the primer. Subsequent so fired 300 rounds weakens the extractor until it breaks. Control feed actions let the case rim slide up behind the extractor claw as they are chambered from the box magazine.

Compare SAAMI cartridge and chamber dimensions to see the details.

Last edited: