New to reloading...Lee Kit?

Darren007

Thats what i got started on, the Lee Anniversary press (Though not the breech lock version). Although I have since moved up to a Redding T7 Turret Press, the Lee single stage is still mounted to my bench.

Lee Presses are great starter presses. For the money its hard to beat. That way, if you decide reloading isnt for you, you wont have spent a lot of money on your gear.

Others will balk but dont get too turned off by the sometimes "cheap" feel of Lee products. It will produce good, safe, and accurate ammo.

The Lee perfect powder measure, IMHO is one of the greatest bargains in all of reloading. And again, Im sure others will call foul, but that powder measure is probably THE most accurate and consistent powder measure that I have ever used, with all powders that I've tried.

Trust me, I wanted to hate that thing. But the more I used it, the more I fell in love with it. I sold both my Hornady and Redding benchrest powder measures after using it for about a year.

The other piece of equipment I have heard complaints about is the Lee Scale. To be honest Im not sure what all the hoopla is about. It works. Its accurate. And its not THAT difficult to set up. Like anything...read the instructions.

Last edited:

458winshooter

Lee kit

I think you would do very well to start with this kit for the same reasons.You can always upgrade if you find reloading to your liking and still use most of this stuff as well.

benzuncle

+1 on the Lee Classic Turret Press. It's a semi-progressive with an easy learning curve. I bought mine from Kemp in January and have "built" close to 3000 rounds with it. And a +1 on what Darren 007 said about the Lee Scale and Powder Measure. I would add that the Adjustable Charge Bar also works very good for charges over 5grains.

Perajio

I started out with the Lee Anniversary Kit back in 1994 and it's still in use today! LEE Precision gets 99% of my reloading equipment $$$$.

SDC

Definitely, Lee's got some of the best value for money , but after you use some of their products for a while, you'll be looking for at some different options. I started with their turret for handgun, and their O-frame single-stage for rifle (loved them, and still use them), but couldn't STAND their powder measure, so I bought something to replace it as soon as I could.

RobertS

I agree with others on the Lee Classic Turret Press. You can reload any cartridge with it from the largest rifle, to pistol, and even the 50 BMG. It can be used as a single stage if one prefers, I never did. It is built like a tank and will give you a lifetime of service. I also have the single stage, but never use it. If you would later think for some reason to have a single stage you can pick one up real cheap either on ebay or online. The Lee Classic presses are some of the best designed equipment out there. I have used RCBS, Dillon, etc. and place the Lee's cast classics at equal quality, but a much better price.

Crosshair

I started on a RCBS single stage press. If I did it over I would have gotten the Lee Classic Turret Press first. Start loading only using it as a single stage press. As you become more experienced, you can start loading progressively.

I still have my RCBS and use it for sizing rifle cases and for sizing my case bullets. So if you can, have two presses, one progressive and one single stage. If you can only have one, get the Lee CTP.

BurkGlocker

I had a Lee back in 1998, and I just bought another one 10 years later. I have always liked using the Lee, and you cant go wrong with price as compared to other similar presses. I do know that this press will be getting alot of work!

HDDeluxe

I have to agree with the Lee Classic Turret Press. If you do a search function you will find many threads about this topic. The majority of opinions are in favor of the Lee. Excellent value for the money. I started with the Lee Classic Turret and can't see myself going to anything else. This is after more than 15,000 rounds of .38Spl, .357Mag, .45ACP, .32ACP, .270Win, and 30-06 loaded on the press and still going strong.

The interchangable turrets are great and simple for caliber changes. I am sure if you go with the Lee, you won't regret it.

Crosshair

Oh yea, as for the turrets, don't be cheap. Stock up on turrets and save yourself the trouble of having to continually adjust the dies from switching them out from the turret.

snuffy

A co-worker/friend has just bought that exact kit. He has shown interest in reloading for the last year, he finally took the plunge last week. I just love mentoring new reloaders!:D

He's in the process of building a bench, getting the loader set-up, then trying out the different processes. I'm sure there will be a bunch of questions come Monday. In fact, I'm looking forward to them!

I'll make a point of stopping over at his house to look over his kit. Since I have the older challenger, I'm curious about the breech lock system. Looks to me like they have improved on the Hornady LNL system by having a lock button to keep the bushing from turning loose by itself.IF THEY HAD JUST MADE THE INSERT THREADS 1¼-12 I could use one for my cowboy brass shotshell dies!

tplumeri

Stock up on turrets and save yourself the trouble of having to continually adjust the dies from switching them out from the turret.

agree. you can get 3 hole turrets for 14 bucks and "common" 3 die sets for 20

CrustyFN

Another vote for the classic turret. It's a great press for the price. Built very solid, very easy to use and setup. Will load 3 to 4 time faster than the single stage at a comfortable pace.
Rusty
ry%3D320