New to Me S&W Model 25

RoyceP

My 25-2 has two cylinders. One chambered for 45 ACP / Moon clips and the other 45 Colt. It's extraordinarily accurate in either caliber.

I favor the 45 Colt cylinder. I bought it new in the early 1980's. The dealer had several like this. Someone told me that based on the serial number it was made around 1979 - 1980.

Attachments

• Smith 25-2 dual cylinder.jpg
    Smith 25-2 dual cylinder.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 45 Colt 25-2 a.jpg
    45 Colt 25-2 a.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 32

RickB

I think the first .45 Colt M25 was a commemorative, called 25-3, and it used the same short cylinder length as the ACP version, but it couldn't chamber longer .45 Colt rounds, so the production models had a longer cylinder, like the 29 and 57.

RoyceP

I have both the 25-2 and the 25-3 (pictured) in .45 Colt. Either will chamber any 45 Colt round that is loaded to SAAMI OAL specs. The cylinder length is about .125" longer than my favorite handload which is found in the latest edition of the Lyman reload manual using a 250 grain lead SWC round nose over Unique powder at 1.570" OAL. The only load longer than that in the manual is the Keith 255 Gr SWC at 1.575" OAL. It also fits with .120" to spare.

So what you are doing is perpetuating an unfounded myth.

Attachments

• 45 colt f.jpg
    45 colt f.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 45 colt e.jpg
    45 colt e.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 45 colt c.jpg
    45 colt c.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 23

laytonj1

There were some early production pre model 25’s chambered in 45 colt.
Also, there was the scarce model 25-1 in 45 ACP as well as a 25-4 in 45 colt (Deluxe Anniversary Edition).

As RoyceP pointed out, there was a very short run of 25’s with both ACP and Colt cylinders. BTW, your serial number dates to 1977/78.

Jim

lamarw

The S&W Historian, Roy Jinks, informed me per the serial number it was shipped in June of 1961.

It is supposed to be delivered to me tomorrow (Jan. 21), and I will note back here on a detailed description of any further stampings on the frame cylinder cut out and on the right side of the barrel. Due to recent happenings in the USA, I just hope FedEx gets it to me in the shipment from Georgia to Alabama.

Hopefully, it will not ship through California.

Dave T

I apparently had a brain phart and couldn't distinguish between the 1950s and the 1960s. My apologies for the confusion I added.

Dave

dgludwig

but now that Herrett's is no more

Sad but apparently true. More than a couple of my revolvers wear Herrett stocks. Regarding the Model 1955 Target/Model 25, the serial no. on my Model 25-2 is N622xx and I'm under the impression that is was made circa 1972. True?

lamarw

FedEx got it to me safely this afternoon. It is a Model 25 (no dash). I am a happy camper. I will now be on the quest for a set of original type stocks/grips.

Last edited:
I have a Brazilian Model of 1917. Rough shape, but it's a good shooter so it doesn't bother me much.

But, I always wanted a Model 25 in .45 Colt.

I could have had multiple ones over the years, only they were all 6.5", and I wanted a 4 inch, which for some reason are virtually impossible to find in Virginia.

I looked for over a decade and finally found one online about 10-12 years ago.

I paid WAY too much for it (about $900 when all was said and done), but I wanted that revolver.

It joined my other 4" N frames -- Model 58 in .41 Mag. and Model 28 in .357.

My Model 24 in .44 Special does have a 6.5" tube, but I'm cool with that. But it won't stop me from buying a 4" .44 Special if I ever find one at a good price.

lamarw

In my opinion, you did not pay too much. You simply made and investment. I can't imagine how much your $900 revolver is worth today. It has to be many times more plus all the enjoyment you have had with it over the years.

RoyceP

Looks like a real beauty but I am not a fan of the stocks. Maybe look for some smooth S&W stocks? Congratulations on what seems to me a good deal.

CajunBass

Those might not be the original grips, but I'd have to give them a try. They are old school classy.

I'd still want a set of originals though.

Congratulations on a fine revolver. I suspect you'll enjoy that one.