New to Me S&W Model 25

lamarw

I won this one on and Internet Auction a few nights ago. I should have it shortly. It appears the only negative is the grips/stocks. It was shipped from the S&W Factory in June of 1961.

Here are a few pictures:

Attachments

• 228.jpg
    228.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 228_3.jpg
    228_3.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 228_7.jpg
    228_7.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Dave T

It has been my understanding that S&W did not chamber the 45 Colt cartridge until the introduction of the Model 25-5.

This gun, shipped from the factory in 1961, would have to be a 45 ACP/45 AR. In collector parlance would be called a pre-Model 25 as model numbers weren't introduced until 1967-1968.

Dave

tlm225

IIRC S&W went to model numbers in 1957, at least that's what I've seen in numerous sources over the decades.

105kw

Model numbers started in 1957, it should be marked as a Model 25-1, or 25-2.
The two I owned were very accurate.
Beautiful old S&W, I hope you have a lot of fun shooting it.

lamarw

Thanks for all the nice and informative comments. Yes, it is in .45 ACP caliber. Below is another picture which should indicate it is an early 4 screw. I have read some of these target models were slow movers (sales) by S&W. I also have a Pre-Model 26 that was shipped from the factory on May 17, 1957. I will probably not receive this one until late next week.

Attachments

• 228_4.jpg
    228_4.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 228_5.jpg
    228_5.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Butzbach

Something different for a change! Congratulations. Put that left hand in your back pocket and slow fire your way to ragged cloverleafs!

Pumpkin

Sweet gun, I had one years ago and a pile of auto rim brass. A little bit hard to find these days. I think it will, hope it will become easier to get. I have a 625 that likes it.

rodfac

SWEET...REALLY SWEET...take this to the bank: any, ANY good 200 gr. LSWC, H&G #68 look a like, with 5.1 gr of 231 will really tickle your fancy! Very rare to find one in that condition...shoot it...and for gosh sakes, report back!! Disregard any and all comments about shallow rifling not suitable for cast lead alloy bullets...it'll do fine....too...Starline will ship you .45 Auto-Rim cases in bulk.

I shot mine yesterday, with 75 yo eyes doing the steering and easily got 1" gps at 10-12 yds from a two-handed Weaver stance...you should be able to do better. Mine, BTW, is a Ca ~1970, version of the same gun.

Congrats on an excellent find. Rod

Drm50

I’ve got 2 m25-2 6.5” 45acp, 2 m25-5 45Colt and 1 m25-3 that is also a 45Colt NIB, Anniversary model. If a 25 has even dash it’s 45acp, odd dash 45 Colt.
199d2eac67738beb3803b18d22f2f480.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoops. Missed the "shipped 1961 statement."

Yep, too early for .45 Colt.

"In collector parlance would be called a pre-Model 25 as model numbers weren't introduced until 1967-1968."

Model numbers were introduced starting in 1957.

Drm50

I’ve never seen a m25-2 or earlier with anything but Patridge blade front. They are pinned in so they could be changed.

Jim Watson

A guy here showed me his 1955. He said when he started target shooting, he could not afford an accurized 1911, so he bought the revolver and shot his way into Master.

dahermit

I’ve never seen a m25-2 or earlier with anything but Patridge blade front. They are pinned in so they could be changed.
Yes... those Patridge front sights were hell on leather holsters, but being on target guns, were likely carried mainly in pistol cases, not holsters.

RickB

Must be Herrett's stocks? Don't know that the demand for revolver target stocks will ever be very high, but now that Herrett's is no more, someone might fancy them.

Drm50

I have always hated ramp fronts, worse is ramp with red insert. Ramp was to enhance draw.
Red insert was for cops who might have to shoot in poor light. They are wonderful for their intended purpose. To me it doesn’t give a well defined sight picture. The blue always leaves shine on top of sight. Flo colors don’t agree with my lookers, again not distinct sharp picture.
Back in 60s, S&W offered several options on front blades. Today some of these blades will sell for $50 used.
I have Patridge sights on most of my S&Ws. I buy or make holsters that have a hard piece sewn in for sight track. A traditional holster sewn over/ one sided isn’t good idea. Neither is putting a thousand dollar pistol in a $11 dollar holster. I go for lined models.