New software tool

Bullet length and weight is something I've checked. I have submitted bullet dimensional data for the Berry's bullets I use and for a number of other projectiles through the GRT ticket system. I have found Berry's bullets to be acceptably consistent with regard to weight. I might be fussier if I were a bullseye competitor, but ... I'm not.

tangolima

Downloaded the software and tried it on a few loads that I did with N135 powder. The simulated muzzle velocities are within a few percent from what I measured. Too bad the powder library is limited. I can see why the propellent manufacturers not eager to disclose the information. That may be why quickload is doing it themselves. I agree it is unfair, to quickload and users who have paid, to port over the powder data.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with porting from my copy of QL to my copy of GRT. Since I've paid the license fees for QL and upgrades for about 20 years, I figure this is no worse than getting a second opinion. Also, publishing an occasional piece of information is something NECO's Ed Dillon (U.S. QL distributor) has said is OK as I think he feels it encourages people to buy the program. However, spreading the QL data around wholesale to those who haven't bought into it becomes an IP rights violation.

I've found with QL it is pretty common for case volumes to be minimum for cases I've seen. That produces errors on the high side of pressure to discourage loading too warm. For pistol cases, though, I almost automatically add a grain of case water overflow capacity as I've found that to be pretty close with .45 Auto, .38 Special and .357 Magnum among others. With rifle cases, like .308 Win, it can be one to three grains low, depending on the make of the case. Also, keep in mind that for brass being fired at peak pressures below about 30,000 psi, you want to use the resized case capacity. For those above 40,000 psi, you want to use the as-fired capacity. Between those two numbers it varies with the cartridge as to whether resized or as-fired capacity will give you the most realistic results and you just want to compare your prediction with a maximum published charge to the velocity and pressure reported by the powder maker (who usually is the only one with average performing data powder for load development and testing).

tangolima

When playing with the bullet types, I noticed the tool predicted cast bullet having higher friction than jacketed bullet.

My experience is quite on the contrary. Cast bullets (lubricated of course) have the least friction, followed by jacketed. The worst is plated.

Do you see the same with the loads you have tested? What does quickload have to say? Anybody has entered a ticket for plated bullets? Thanks.

-TL

QuickLOAD uses a lower start pressure on lead than on jacketed bullets. This results in lower peak pressure as the bullet is further down the tube when the pressure peaks and therefore has a greater volume behind it for the gas to fill. It also puts a lower limit on bore friction.

tangolima

In GRT, the bullet types (jacket, cast, etc) seem to change friction only. The initial pressure is determined by firearm type (pistol, rifle, etc). Cast bullets having more friction than jacketed does seem right though.

-TL