New short action bolt rifle for hunting. Suggestions?

Nathan

I would focus my search to something with a Win 70, Kimber, Ruger, Savage or Howa action. My preference would be the first 3 with controlled round feed, but Savage and Howa make good push feed guns. I also strongly prefer 3 position safeties that positively hold the striker. Hunting can be rough and tumble. Your rifle needs a positive safety.

BumbleBug

The shortest & handiest deer rifle I have is a Ruger #1 with a 22" barrel. It's hard to find magazines for it though...LOL

BoogieMan

Thank you for all the input. This gun is primary a whitetail gun. I have several 30-06s to choose from now. No issues dropping anything I drop the hammer on. I just want another rifle. Lighter, short action, less recoil. I hunt NE PA primarily. Woods shots out to max 150yds. I think I am going to take a bit of a turn. Going to go with a CZ in 7.62x39, wood and blue. Much lighter recoil, still plenty of power for what I need and ammo is plentiful. Could still change my mind and go 243. Really anything 223 or more is fine for ethical kills on whitetail. I also carry my 460xvr that I want as a a primary.

Don Fischer

Ya might take a look at the Mossberg Patriot Revere. Supposed to be a really nice rifle. Read a couple write up's on it and they were really good. I have two standard Patriot's, blue with wood and really like them!

Mattj4867

It might be worth looking into a Winchester model 70 in 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 falls in between the 6.5 creedmoor and the 308 win. Giving the best of both worlds in terms of higher bullet weight, velocity, and ballistic coefficient. I highly recommend the new Winchester model 70s as well. they come with a free floating barrel and all of mine shoot consistent 1 MOA groups and lower. I think these Winchester are significantly better than those of the pre-64 years. Better metallurgy, cold hammer forged barrels, CNC machining, and control round feeding. There’s a reason why all of the dangerous game hunters rely on control round feed actions. The are slightly more reliable than those of the push feed actions.

Legionnaire

I don't buy new any more. I'd look for an older Remington Model 7 (walnut and blued) in .243 and not look back. If you had to have it converted to detachable magazines, that could be done and still stay well below your budget.

Tallest

I am with Legionnaire, I have a model 7 walnut and blued in 7-08 very maneuverable , light and accurate!!!!
I wouldn't mind finding one of those, then replacing the stock with something 14" LOP.

I like the light-weight agility of the compacts, but the shorter LOP is obnoxious when you're almost 7' tall.

Doyle

Aftermarket stocks are available and affordable for the Model 7. If all you want to do is increase the LOP, you could always just add a set of Kick-ez spacers.

Tallest

Aftermarket stocks are available and affordable for the Model 7. If all you want to do is increase the LOP, you could always just add a set of Kick-ez spacers.
This is certainly true! But, while it's rather silly, I don't like the look. I like the stock to look like it was made for the shooter rather than adapted to him/her.

FoghornLeghorn

The OP said in the beginning:
wont see enough rounds to be a cost issue

Brian said:
but it runs at least $250 (30%) and as much as $400 (50%) more than a similar Tikka T3x.

Brian's point is well made. The OP likely won't shoot it enough for any difference to make much difference. He is where I am now, viz. looking for a decent field gun that I can also admire. And for me, the Tikka T3X is definitely in the running.

Except I'm waiting for hunting season to end when there are always more used rifles from which to choose.

But someone earlier made some disparaging remarks about Remington. I've actually been monitoring the Remington market. What don't I know?

BTW, I've owned a couple 700 BDLs, one of which had the factory recall to address the issue of the gun firing when the safety is moved to the "off" position. My situation is that I'm a left handed shooter and don't have a lot of options.

Don Fischer

IMO the best thing for you to do is go out and look at rifles you have access to where you live and choose from that one you like. Lot of difference in the way rifle's look and handle but I doubt there is a bad rifle made today! You could take recommendation's and get a rifle off the internet you won't be able to see. other than a photo, and won't feel. What will you do if you don't like the way it feels? Most of us on here I think could buy off the internet and get a rifle we could use even if we didn't like the feel. Pretty simple to sell it and get something else.

With your budget there are a ton of rifle's available to you, pick one you like. You wouldn't ask someone else to pick your wife and this is much more important!