New short action bolt rifle for hunting. Suggestions?

BoogieMan

So here it is. I want to buy myself a new bolt action blued and walnut rifle with removable magazine. The classic hunting rifle if you will. Undecided between 6.5creed and .243win. Both will do the job just fine and this wont see enough rounds to be a cost issue. I want a nice rifle and keep the budget under $1500ish not including optics.
Thinking- Tikka, Weatherby, Remington, CZ.
Should I be looking at other brands? Im not against used rifles in top shape. Seems a little difficult to find them with factory removable mags.

Tallest

I would disagree slightly on the “classic hunting rifle” having a removable magazine.

However, lest we digress, I think the CZ would get my first vote, followed by the Tikka.

CZ has a stellar reputation, and the few I have had or handled didn’t disappoint.

I live the short action, and if you care to add one more option to the docket, the 7mm-08 has a lot to offer!

MarkCO

I'd just delete Remington and add Bergara.

Low round count, more hunting than range, I would go with the 6.5CM. If more range than hunting and don't care about game larger than Deer, I would go with the .243Win.
Own both and all of the brands you are considering. $1500ish, Weatherby or Bergara would be my choice.

Picher

T3 Tikkas are really great rifles. I have one in .243 and it's a honey! Three of us have gotten deer with it and it's a lot of fun to carry/shoot.

NHSHOOTER

I too have a Tikka but its in 223 but I would surely recommend 1 in the caliber you prefer..I would also like to add Browning XBolt to the mix, I have 1 in 7-08 that shoots 1/2" groups with a few different loads I have loaded for it, even my 12 yr old granddaughter shoots 3/4" groups with it at 100 yds..It too has a removable rotary magazine, smooth bolt and adjustable trigger.

sako2

Euro optics has some good prices on tikkas. Their website says they have a t3 243 for $498. And tx3's for under $800.

BoogieMan

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably go Tikka. Like the weatherby mark. But, that gets a little pricey. I'll check out the Howa as well. I didn't mention because I have never seen one with walnut. @Tallest- your probably right about the removable mag not being a feature of a classic. I am looking toward the smooth mount small mags. Not a tactical 10rnd hanging out of the bottom. So it isnt a purest classic. Still retains the look.

burrhead

Browning X-Bolt. I've had walnut stocked "Hunter" in 308 for about 6 years and it's superb. Accurate and light, it seems to point it's self. Been the scourge of several deer and a bunch of hogs.

LineStretcher

Nothing wrong with the model 70 super grade but I think you get just as much rifle if not more with a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in the Deluxe model. I would jump up to either the .308 or 7mm-08. .308 is one of my favorites and 7mm-08 is becoming very popular. I have 3 Vanguards and 3 Mark V's and I love my Bee's.

If you were to step up to a Mark V Deluxe, I highly recommend the .257 Wby Mag. It's a relatively soft shooter that can kick some serious butt. The .240 Wby Mag is also a nice smaller game cartridge. It will take most medium sized deer without a problem.

The Tika is not a bad rifle either but having done a side by side at the range comparision, of the Wby Vanguard S2 and the Tika T3 in .308, the Wby shot better groups and did it time after time with what ever ammo I threw at it. The Tika did well with Barnes TSX but choked on Nosler Accubonds and Partitions.

Saltydog235

Sako, may be a little over your budget. Sauer 101 is another I’d look at. I do like my Tikka but not nearly as much as my Sakos.

BoogieMan

@saltydog235- Arent they the same company? I didnt know there was a current production Sako until you just posted. Look good.

Last edited:

IdaD

I live the short action, and if you care to add one more option to the docket, the 7mm-08 has a lot to offer!

Seconded. This is my favorite mid-range caliber and it's really hard to beat for midsize game like deer.

MrBorland

I love the 7mm-08 too, but the rifle I actually love most for hunting is my Tikka CTR, and it happens to be chambered in .260 Remington.

I have a nice 7mm-08, but there's so little difference between the 2 rounds (at least for whitetails and the distance I'd be shooting them), I opt for the rifle I like better.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
MrBorland said:
but there's so little difference between the 2 rounds

Yes, and about 14 others too... but what fun is a thread where we don't tell the OP to buy something besides what he explicitly says he wants.:p:D

Worc

When you say "Short Action", are you talking about just the cartridge length or the actual length of the action. There is a difference as some manufacturers use the same action for .308 and .30-06 length cartridges.

If you want the shorter action, it will eliminate some choices. The Browning X bolt would be a good choice with a shorter action length. Used would be something like a Sako 75 or 85 and Browning A bolt.