New Rimfire: .17 Winchester Super Magnum

HiBC

I have no experience with a 17.

I'm not in the market for one.

There are some situations where a "whiffle bullet" might be useful,one that would blow up on contact with anything.That might be better than a lower vel,more substantial bullet skipping off across country.

It would be a bad idea to get a false sense of security about it,though.

Downrange still needs to be safe and clear.

big al hunter

I think it was smart of them to use 27 cal brass. It has been in production for construction use for decades. The brass is already made strong enough for the pressure and it should be cheap to produce. Just buy brass for the powder actuated nailer and load it for the new cartridge. A simple forming die is all they need.

I don't need a 17, but a 22 would be nice.

Scorch

They would be much more successful if they would simply resurrect the 5mm rimfire.
The question they ask themselves is "How are we going to sell more rifles?" Chambering a rifle for an obsolete cartridge that is 45 years old is not going to sell a whole flock of rifles, a new cartridge will. 3,000 fps sounds pretty sexy to a lot of rimfire shooters, 2,300 fps does not. The whole "I'm not putting so-n-so's name on our rifle" is another reason. Now combine the three: "we have a sexy new 3,000 fps cartridge with our name on it that is nothing at all like any other rimfire cartridge, and it comes in a cool new rifle, and it costs about the same to shoot as that slower cartridge other folks are shooting". It will sell rifles, trust me. How many rifles depends on how good the ammo is.
If I find a nice 591/592 I might just get one.
A good 590/591/592 costs about $400-$500, beat-up ones about $350-$400, about what the new rifle will probably be selling for.

FrankenMauser

If I find a nice 591/592 I might just get one.
I don't think you'll see this in that model series, due to the overall length and higher pressure.

I anticipate at least 80% of the offered rifles to be built on existing short action designs where you currently find the .22 Hornet and similar cartridges (such as the Savage 25 and Ruger 77/22H).

The remaining rifles might be a 'stretched' variant of an existing rimfire design. That would keep the cost of the rifles down, but only if they can still deal with the higher pressure and increased bolt thrust.

L_Killkenny

I anticipate at least 80% of the offered rifles to be built on existing short action designs where you currently find the .22 Hornet and similar cartridges (such as the Savage 25 and Ruger 77/22H).

If that's the case the round will be doomed. There so few shooters interested in .17 cal anything that the new rimfire will not be able to compete with it's centerfire brothers if guns and prices are similar. Especially with the .17hmr and it's $250 guns still around. Not many varmint to fox shooters that will choose a similarly priced .17 rimfire over a .17 centerfire.

As far as repeaters go it's gonna take a whole new class of rifles. Rimfire actions to small, most centerfire actions to big. Not gonna be able to price the rimfire in centerfire class either. The only way it's gonna work is a new action with a price point at or below the centerfire budget guns like the Ruger American, Savage Axis, etc. $300 +/-. Sure there will be guns offered and sold costing more than that by Ruger and CZ. But if there counting on guns in those price ranges carrying this new cartridge it will fail horribly.

Folk will pay more for this new .17 than an HMR, both in guns and ammo cost. But not much more.

FrankenMauser

Yep. I completely agree.

As soon as I saw the overall length of .17 WSM, I did a forehead slap for Winchester/Olin. Idiots! ...Placed themselves outside the "entry level" rifle market, unless the rifle manufacturers are willing to offer 'stretched' versions of existing rimfire models.

L_Killkenny

I'm not sure they priced themselves out yet, We're on a wait and see pattern for that. I don't think they don't have too either. Obviously the manufactures can retool and introduce arms not similar to any they currently offer. How many companies are introduced in the last few years budget centerfires that in no way resemble previous models? Savage Axis, Ruger American, Marlin xs and xl, what ever crappy wanna be Remington is making this week, etc? If they meet a price point in between the .17hmr guns and the .17 hornet and furball guns then they have a chance. If all Ruger, Savage, Remington, etc. do is bring out non budget repeaters and single shots I'll be very disappointed.

Personally I don't know why in the heck Savage hasn't come out with a budget .17 centerfire. Me thinks it would sell like hot cakes.

tuck2

Im a 17 caliber fan. I have HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem and have a 17 Hornet rifle on order. When the 17 Win S M rifle and ammo becomes available I ll get one. I like trying out new low muzzzle blast and recoil rifles when shooting prairie dogs.