New Rifle Break In?

Llama Bob

Whether a rifle fouls fundamentally comes down to bore machining and lapping. A rifle like the Cooper, which I believe has a hand lapped bore, is unlikely to foul much. A vanguard that's designed to a $500 price point is a whole different animal.

turkeestalker

I have never followed any special procedure to break in a rifle barrel myself, and never noticed any issues with accuracy or cleaning because of it.
This past Christmas I gave both of my sons their first center fire rifle as gifts. The manufacturer recommends a specific break in procedure, and as a learning experience I insisted that both boys follow it. Not saying that it will make any noticeable difference, just saying that I don't think it's necessarily a bad way to introduce someone to a 'new to them' aspect of shooting. Them doing so certainly won't hurt anything.

doofus47

I think that if "barrel break in" gives you one more reason to go the the range...
It's a good reason.
Get out there an let us know how the new rifle shoots!

SIGSHR

This something we will be debating till the Crack of Doom. My first range session with one of my SIG SHR 970s, in .270, I fired a 1.25" group at 100 yards and I am FAR from being an experienced long range shot. Wood to metal-or plastic-fit and proper screw tension more important IMHO.

jmr40

All rifles will shoot better and be easier to clean after 50-100 rounds have been down the barrel. The rifle doesn't know if you cleaned it after every shot, after every 5 shots, every 10 shots or after 100 shots.

You can find dozens of people who have tried it both ways, they all claim their method works best.

I'd rather spend my time shooting than cleaning.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
jmr40 said:
The rifle doesn't know if you cleaned it after every shot, after every 5 shots, every 10 shots or after 100 shots.

As the theory goes, cleaning more often re-exposes the "rough spots" that are being worn down by the bullet passing. Copper build up on those spots protects them from wear from the next bullet. Cleaning uncovers them.

The part that makes less sense, even though I do it, is why clean after every shot at first but then every 5th and then 10th or whatever. It really should be after every one or 5th, or every other, or every 10th consistently.

tobnpr

I suppose it's been at least a few weeks since the last "barrel break-in" thread, so I'll bite.

Well, I have read all the "expert" opinions- and just like reloading and barrel chambering, there is no "right way" to skin a cat.

However, I am certain that the science behind this video, is absolutely correct:

https://youtu.be/TRRahHX9Zkg

JimPage

If you really want a smooth barrel that's sooo easy to clean, I suggest fire lapping it. If the Cooper is hand lapped from the maker, that should be enough. That's my opinion based upon my experience with no histrionics. :)

Win73

I don't know. Maybe barrel break in might make a slight difference noticeable in benchrest target shooting. But I don't do any of that. I am only interested in practical accuracy for hunting. And for that I just don't think it would make a noticeable difference in practical accuracy.
I did not break in the barrel on my .30-06. I have fired it 15 times at deer and coyotes and put 13 deer and 2 coyotes on the ground with those 15 shots. The range on the coyotes was 25 and 75 yards. The deer ranged from 25 to 125 yards. In none of those shots did the bullet hit farther than an inch or so from where I put the crosshairs.
Other than when I originally mounted my scope, I haven't fired that rifle more than a dozen times a year. I always fire enough shots before hunting season to make sure it is sighted in and make any minor adjustments necessary. The most I have fired it during any one deer season is four times. I did that twice. This past season I fired it twice and killed two deer.
And I only clean it once a year.

MJFlores

MY question to people is...why not take the time to do it? It's so easy to do. Anyone with a basement can do it...just get a roll of carpet and a bit log. Or outside, nobody will hear it with the carpet over the barrel. Fire one shot, go in and clean it...repeat to 10. Then clean at the range between groups and you're done. We all spend so much money on a rifle, rings, bases, and scope. Why not take the time to break in the barrel?? I do on every rifle, and my rifles clean up much quicker and easier than other's who have the same rifle. You'll see it taking less and less time through the break in procedure to the point where cleaning after the 7th, 8th shots goes MUCH quicker than the 2nd and 3rd shots. Taking a little time in the beginning saves an enormous amount of cleaning time throughout the life of the rifle. And an improvement in accuracy too? Just do it!

stagpanther

I always break in all barrels on any new firearm. I don't make any representations that not doing so harms it--just for me--it's what I think should be done. IMO--even if cleaning it does no provable enhancing of longevity--I've had too many weapons with "droppings" from manufacturing, shipping and storage that take a while to shake themselves out--and for that reason alone I will still break every new barrel in. The only exception I would make to the quote at the beginning about initial break-in is that I would ALSO use at least quality factory stuff, not the cheapest bargain basement stuff I could find.

cw308

Cooper rifles are top shelf. My benchrest rifle started out as a stock Rem 700 LTR 308. Went through the break in process, from the start it was a shooter. Changed the trigger to a Jewell set at 10 ounces, bedded the stock. After 4000+ rounds, changed the barrel to a custom M24 5R 21" Rock Creek, trued. When talking to the company the did the work ( Accurate Ordinance) about barrel break in, the advised me to just shoot it, not to let the barrel heat up. I clean after 25 rounds. I baby the rifle, never disappointed me.

tobnpr

^^^ Interesting. From that page:

When the bullet is forced into the throat, copper dust is removed from the jacket material and released into the gas which at this temperature and pressure is actually a plasma. The copper dust is vaporized in this plasma and is carried down the barrel. As the gas expands and cools, the copper comes out of suspension and is deposited in the bore. This makes it appear as if the source of the fouling is the bore when it is actually for the most part the new throat.

If this copper is allowed to stay in the bore, and subsequent bullets and deposits are fired over it, copper which adheres well to itself, will build up quickly and may be difficult to remove later. So when we break in a barrel, our goal is to get the throat “polished without allowing copper to build up in the bore. This is the reasoning for the fire-one-shot-and-clean procedure.

We all know about the throat, the "argument" is whether to let the bullets "lap" it through "break-in", or just the process of shooting the rifle.

First I've ever heard of copper "dust" and "plasma"...

But what I don't understand, is why they state that it will be difficult to remove later. Why? IOW, why would the initial copper deposits in a new barrel be more difficult to remove later than "old barrel" copper deposits- with an efficient copper remover??:confused:

feets

This is from Shilen: http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question10

How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?
Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning.
Here is our standard recommendation: Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots. During this time, don't just shoot bullets down the barrel during this 50 shot procedure. This is a great time to begin load development. Zero the scope over the first 5 shots, and start shooting for accuracy with 5-shot groups for the next 50 shots. Same thing applies to fire forming cases for improved or wildcat cartridges. Just firing rounds down a barrel to form brass without any regard to their accuracy is a mistake. It is a waste of time and barrel life.
Back to top.