New Revolver

Nathan

I would recommend a 4” K frame. Fixed sights, stainless or cerakoted, hogue grip, made pre-1980. Then give it to someone like Bob Cogan or Clark’s to convert to an 8lb dao and put an XS big dot on the front sight. That would make a nice gun.

Otherwise, I would strongly reconsider a semi auto. They are just simpler to my way of thinking.

44 AMP

Staff
Otherwise, I would strongly reconsider a semi auto. They are just simpler to my way of thinking.

Just curious, but considering the manual of arms for a semi auto is more complex than the one for a DA revolver, in what way do you consider them "simpler"??

skoro

Put me down as another fan of the S&W Model 10. They were the sidearm of most US law enforcement organizations for about half a century, and for good reason. The stainless version is the Model 64.

Nathan

44 AMP said:
Just curious, but considering the manual of arms for a semi auto is more complex than the one for a DA revolver, in what way do you consider them "simpler"??

I agree that a DA revolver is a simple tool to load and fire for experienced shooters with confidence, good finger strength and a natural point of aim.

With something like an XD, M&P, Glock, etc. It is as simple as put in mag, pull back slide, pull reasonably light trigger.

Also, I think revolver grips are great, but most newer folks really struggle to index on the grips well.

Cylinder loading is super simple. Now add stress and lack of confidence in. It gets pretty hard for only 6 shots. Mags, once loaded,(tools for that) are much more intuitive after the bullets forward thing is understood!

Autos are often 9mm….cheap, everywhere, ….simple. A revolver is likely 38/357….expensive, harder to find, not simple.

Trigger pull…..12lb DA vs 5-6lb staple gun trigger. Very few non-shooters or average shooters get speed shooting with a DA. It is a parallel process of aim and pull with micro adjustments at max speed. Autos, I suspect for most 5-7yd targets, most folks are aim & yank….simple. I cannot aim & yank 12 lbs.

I love revolvers. I get them in the hands of every newer shooter, but they are the manual transmission of handguns, I have come to find out.

105kw

Add another vote for S&W K frame .38 special.
I've always felt the K frame is the best balance between weight and shootability.
I went through this with my Mother, due to arthritis, she had a really hard time working a slide on a semi-auto.
I took Mom and my Dad shooting my various .38sp Revolvers, and the both settled on Model 10 Smiths. They could easily open the cylinder, and had no problem with the trigger pull on DA.
I'll echo others advice, let them shoot several different Revolvers, and pick which they like best.

44 AMP

Staff
Thank you for explaining your point of view, Nathan. I disagree with some of your points, but discussing auto vs revolver would be off topic for this thread, so we'll have to do it somewhere else, sometime.

Beer brewer

My Dad bought a 67-1 .38 special for himself for home defense in 1993. He was 54 at the time but had the foresight at the time to know that he would likely be able to use it through the end of his life. The revolver was kept lightly oiled and loaded with +P 158 grain LSWCHP rounds. Once or twice a year, I’d fire a box of ammo through it with my Dad. He wasn’t a “gun guy” by any means but he knew his way around a variety of pistols, rifles and shotguns (HIS father was the gun guy and hunted on all continents). We always chose something fun to shoot - his favorite was a waffle iron that had stopped working over Christmas and had disappointed many; he really enjoyed ventilating that accursed appliance). I’d clean it up, reload it and it would resume its place in a hidden nook by the bed. That gun stood sentinel for 30 years until he died this year. I have no doubt that the 67 was the best gun for him and I’m glad he had it at the ready all those years. I have it now and I love to ventilate defunct appliances in his honor. The DA pull is 11lbs and the SA pull is a little under 3. Those 158 grainers will rip through a lot of stuff; nuthin’ to sneeze at for sure. So there you go - that’s my sentimental yet highly practical recommendation.