New Revolver

Rjeezie

It's been forever since I've been on these forums, but I always come to ask for opinions. I'm helping my parents do some research on a revolver for home defense. They plan on going to a gun show to be able to feel in hand, but wanted to give them some options beforehand.

For sure, they want double action (can be double action only, but doesn't have to be), and I think they want it in .38+.

The only revolver I've ever owned is a SP101 in 2.25'. Definitely didn't love it. Think I would've preferred a 3".

Anyways, any suggestions?

1972RedNeck

My 5" S&W 627 is my nightstand gun. Maybe not my absolute favorite pistol, but if I could only have one, that would be it.

ciwsguy

S&W Model 10 recommended. Used ones can be had for reasonable price.
Recommend steer clear of gun shows, as I haven't seen one worth paying the entry fee for decades now.
Local gun shops is where I go.

reddog81

There are lots of good options out there nowadays. What’s the budget?

For home defense you might as well go for something larger than an SP101. Small snub nosed revolvers are not easy to shot well. I’d recommend a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 if those are an option. A used S&W model 10 would also be a good option and should be about half the price if you look around enough. The 627 mentioned above is a great gun if you can find one and they have 8 shots so that’s a positive however they’ll run $1,000+.

rc

I have a lot of respect for my SP101 and have a GP100 also but my 686 is a smoother action. If it's for both mom and dad..... often old moms can't pull the trigger on a double action duty revolver because they don't have the strength in their hands. You can't dry fire at many gun shows with all the zip ties to make sure mom can actually use the gun in an emergency.

Smaller guns tend to kick harder and are harder to hit with. Since it doesn't sound like they are gun enthusiasts who plan to shoot much, I would recommend they look for something common with 4 inch barrel like a K frame Smith and Wesson Model 10 or 66. 357 mag chamber shouldn't be a negative since it will shoot any 38 special load. A nice 3" or 4" L frame model 586 or 686 would also be something to consider. A 5 shot 3" J frame model 60 might be ideal depending on mom's size and strength.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1021505744

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1010241104

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1022665218

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1020036113

44caliberkid

Smith & Wesson Model 19 or 66, whatever barrel length makes you happy, or Smith 586 or 686, again, whatever barrel you like. The fixed sight versions of either model would be fine too. There’s a reason they are named “Combat Masterpiece “.

jetinteriorguy

If you find one a S&W Model 15 or the stainless version 67 would be just what you’re looking for. K frame size,4” barrel, adjustable sights, and very good DA trigger with excellent SA.

jar

My S&W Model 10 still gets carried as my primary CCW quite often. For small but manageable and accurate revolvers my Colt Detective Special also gets to go WalkAbout and in fact the last couple times I've had to shoot a qualifying it's been the handgun I chose.

Also don't discount the 32 family of cartridges. Even though the 32S&W Long has lost popular support these days it is still a super accurate relatively soft shoot extremely accurate round with similar penetration to the 38Special and greater control. I find my S&W Hand Ejector and my 3.5" Barreled Colt Pocket Positive easier to conceal, lighter and still viable for self defense.

rc

32s are light shooters and accurate but anything less than 32 mag would not be something I would even consider for the intended purpose. I would suggest consideration of any 9mm revolver they happen along using moon clips. 9mm is the most popular pistol round on the planet. 38 would however be easier to deal with for your parents because moon clips are not required for loading and ejection.

Drm50

I just got a 66, forget dash, it’s been fired and only gave $700 in case with everything it left factory. It’s 4” 357 but fires 38s too. There are many such deals to be found. I get J frame 38s all the time, mostly m36s. Very nice ones all went for less than $600.
For house gun I would opt for K frame and 3 or 4” barrel myself. All kind of nice S&Ws in this price range. Not necessary to spend $1000. I wouldn’t bother with anything other than a S&W. Out of big 3 they are the double action revolver people. Colts more troublesome and Rugers not nearly as slick.

P Flados

My wife wanted a gun that was not heavy. I felt 3" was about right and we went looking. She handled a few at the counter and ended up with a 3" 38 Sp LCRx.

She had problems cocking some guns for SA and had problems with a stiff DA. She has no problems with the LCRx.

It has an aluminum frame and is only 15.7 ounces. This makes it nice for holding/aiming, but there can be a price when the trigger is pulled.

I like shooting it with 125 gr or 148 gr target loads, but recoil makes it no fun for me with standard 158s.

For her I had to work down to some extra low recoil loads.

If you do not reload, and you are not sure about recoil tolerance, you might want to look for a gun that is say 20 - 28 ounces. I did note that the 3" steel frame 357 LCRx is 21.3 ounces.

If you do reload, or if the shooters are at least average for recoil tolerance, I do recommend the 38 Sp LCRx.

I regularly shoot at least 4 different guns per range trip. Of the half dozen revolvers I can shoot, the LCRx gets the most range time (~100 rounds per month). The 3" barrel and the adjustable sights help make range shooting more fun than chore. I love the DA feel and it does SA just fine (contrary to what a S&W snob would say of course). I have shot thousands of rounds through it and have never needed to take it apart for an extended cleaning.

Last edited:
P Flados said:
I like shooting it with 125 gr or 148 gr target loads, but recoil makes it no fun for me with standard 158s.

For her I had to work down to some extra low recoil loads.

If you do not reload, and you are not sure about recoil tolerance, you might want to look for a gun that is say 20 - 28 ounces. I did note that the 3" steel frame 357 LCRx is 21.3 ounces.

If you do reload, or if the shooters are at least average for recoil tolerance, I do recommend the 38 Sp LCRx.
Almost all legal experts recommend NOT shooting reloads for self-defense. Since the OP's parents are looking for a gun for home defense, not concealed carry, weight is perhaps not as important, so an all-steel revolver that will soak up some recoil may be a better choice than an airweight.

44 AMP

Staff
perhaps not as important,

Perhaps is the key word here, as we have not been given any information about the OP's parents, only that they are looking for a DA revolver of ".38+" caliber for "home defense".

Most of the suggestions so far are for medium frame size guns, with a couple suggesting large frame, and mentions of small frame guns as well.

Medium frame size is the way to go, since we know nothing about the people, other than they are the OP's parents.

We assume they are not "gunpeople? or experienced (if they were, why would the son be asking for recommendations for them?)

Size does matter, not just the size & weight of the gun, but also the size of the users. A large frame heavy pistol is great for many things. It is the best choice for some things. BUT if Mom is a small lady its not the most suitable thing for her to use.

And the same thing applies to the smaller revolvers in reverse. They might be light enough to be easily held, with grips allowing a better hold, but most people find them more difficult to shoot as accurately as larger pistols, and the recoil of even .38 Spl defensive loads may be too much for the inexperienced users.

And that is another point to consider. It has to be a gun that not only is physically suitable, but the recoil has to be within their tolerance range, or they will not shoot it more than once.

Now, this might be acceptable to them, they might fire it once (making sure it works) then put it in a drawer and possibly never handle it again, confident that it is there if needed, and that they could use it well enough at across the room ranges.

Here's an example, of how fit matters. My mother was a small woman. 4'10" (and a half! damnit!!;)) wore a size 3.5 ring, most she ever weighed in her life was 109lbs. Grew up a farm girl, and was a very determined individual, besides. She dispatched numerous varmints/pest with her single shot JC Higgens .22LR rifle. She knew how to shoot, was a good shot, and sometimes even shot recreationally.

Dad had a stock S&W Highway Patrolman, 6" (N frame) .357, with the original factory small grips. Mom could shoot it accurately, SA, from a rested position. (like sitting with arms braced on knees). She could not shoot it accurately off hand, the gun was simply too heavy for her to hold steady. She did not shoot it DA, the trigger reach and pull weight was too much for her to manage with her small hands.

Dad got an Ortgies .25acp, thinking the small size would be better for her to handle. It wasn't. She couldn't rack the slide, due to the tiny gripping area of the slide and the strong spring were more than she could work.

The gun SHE chose was a Ruger Super Bearcat. Size/weight was about perfect for her. She could work the little SA gun quite well, and though it was "only" a .22LR, it was HER gun, and she worked it and got rather good. Good enough to get the local nickname "Annie Oakley".

Point here is, that what needs to be the top consideration for choices is what the smallest, weakest user can manage. Too much gun is as bad, or worse than not enough.

Take Mom & Dad to a gun show or a shop, where they can BOTH handle different examples. If there's one with a range available, go there hand have them both shoot some different things.

Let THEM choose (with guidance) what suits them best. Your and my opinions of what is "best" might not be best, for them. Guide them, give them some hands on if possible, and let them make their choice.

Don't let them be swayed by an enthusiastic salesman pushing what he needs to sell as "the best thing". It might be, but often isn't. Everyone's situation is different in different ways.

Good Luck, there is something out there that they can use, and is suitable. Something less than the "best" choice, that they can use, understand and have confidence in is better than the "best" thing (in someone else's opinion) that they can't use well.

Good Luck!
and let us know what they settle on and how we may help, in the future.

GeauxTide

You want something that your Mother is comfortable with. A medium frame 357 will be comfortable to handle, but uncomfortable to shoot. With the advances in ammunition technology, 9mm has become my preferred home defense cartridge. I own a Glock 19 and 43. They are very comfortable to shoot, too.

44 AMP

Staff
While we don't know for sure, from the OP it seems they are not considering a semi auto.

Again, we don't know, but I can not rule out the possibility that the gun they do get will be for "emergency use only" and may not be even looked at until/unless there is an emergency.

If something like that is the case, I think a revolver is superior to a semi, particularly if its just put away and not prepped properly for long term storage.

There are people who own guns, but are not "gun people" and don't know (or sometimes care) to take the kind of care of them that many of us do, and take for granted as common knowledge.

Even those who do know the right stuff to do don't always manage to do it, for various reasons.

My father passed about 20 years ago, I flew back to deal with it, (we lived on opposite sides of the country) Apparently he hadn't touched any of his guns in the last decade of his life, possibly longer.

I don't know for sure what oil he used, probably "cleaning kit general", but over the years the oil had thickened and was no longer a lube, but more of a glue.

His Colt Govt model, stored in a bedroom dresser drawer was chamber empty mag loaded when I checked it. BUT after clearing the gun, the slide moved forward very slowly and stopped about 1/2" from fully closed.
A Savage 99 rifle, stored in the closet had the action frozen shut from the degraded oil. Other rifles in the closet were ok, as were other handguns, apparently not having been as heavily oiled when they were last put away.

His S&W Highway Patrolman was on one of the closet shelves, and was 100% perfectly normally functional.

SO, I would recommend a revolver over a semi, if the gun isn't regularly inspected and cared for.

GeauxTide said:
You want something that your Mother is comfortable with. A medium frame 357 will be comfortable to handle, but uncomfortable to shoot. With the advances in ammunition technology, 9mm has become my preferred home defense cartridge.
But the OP specified .38 caliber, so .357 and 9mm aren't applicable.

603Country

My wife insisted on a revolver, and she selected a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 38. It has the laser red dot and the enclosed hammer. She shoots it quite well.

I would recommend that revolver.