New old Gun day - Mauser 98

ernie8

He was talking about accuracy and those velocities are a good starting point . With rifles with a larger groove dia , too much velocity will start to hurt accuracy . I said a good velocity for the 170 was about 2500 , which you said was too slow , yet you like a 175 at 2490 ? Also 1905 is not a correct date for the S round [ and the S bullet was not .323 dia like what he is using ] and neither in 1933 for the 198 sS round .

emcon5

S Patrone was 1903, not 1905 I fat fingered it. s.S. Patrone was 1933, and both were .323".

The Patrone 88 from 1888 was a ~220gr Round Nose with a 0.318" diameter.

His rifle is made for .323" bullets.

Before you start over buying new bullets, you should look at the gunboards link I posted above. Make sure the action fits properly in the stock, if not, shim it to correct. Make sure the barrel doesn't contact the bayonet lug, make sure the action isn't touching the magazine box, and the barrel should be floated from the stock and handguard except for a pressure point at the very front just behind the bayonet lug.

ernie8

Wrong dates again . The S ammo was not 1903 [ I have a collection of 100's of original rounds ] , it has a .321 dia bullet . Just measure original ammo . I have sS ammo dated as early as 1914 . All 1933 is when it was made standard for all arms, then it was replaced in 1941 . If he is getting 4 inch and worse groups at 50 yards , bedding is not the problem . The bullets and load need to be good first . It does not matter how many shims you put in one , the wrong bullet will never shoot well . I have and shoot over 600 8mm Mauser rifles and never had to shim any . I have shot them in military rifle matches for over 20 years , many of my good shooting ones turn in 1 to 1.5 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards . My very best group ever in a match was a .0635 with a VZ-24 of all things . But what you think is "shooting very good " may not be the same as what I think . The SI -175 bullet is way down the list of my good shooting bullets in military rifles .

mikejonestkd

Another range trip today after a good bore cleaning, and the results were still disappointing. 6" at 50 yards was about norm for all handloads.

The bore is worn, but no worse than any other mil surplus rifles that shoot way better than this masuer.

Time to start with the basics, I'll pull the action from the stock again and go over the fit and bedding to see if there is something wonky. I'll also slug the bore and see what I am working with..

mikejonestkd

An update:

I took the rifle apart, scrubbed the snot out of the barrel, action, and got a ton of copper fouling out of the barrel.
I loaded up some 170 gr Hornady round nose bullets and IMR 4064.
The rifle shot them fairly well- slightly less than 3" at 50 yards, which is not great, but at least I am going in the right direction.

eastbank

shoot, clean while warm, shoot, clean while warm. I brought a mosin 91 barrel back to life doing that over and over that looked like a sewer pipe. never was a moa rifle but a honest 2.5-3" at 100 yards.

mikejonestkd

Another quick update, I switched to H4895 powder and am seating the 170 gr Hornady RN bullets out a bit farther to reduce the jump to the lands.

I am consistently getting five shot groups of 2.5" at 50 yards and the point of impact is just about an inch high.
That is good enough for me.

mikejonestkd

Another update:

I tried hunter's supply cast 170 gr bullets and two different powders-13 gr of trail boss and H4895 at a reduced charge of 32 gr.

All bullets missed the 2' x 2' target frame at 50 yards.
25 yard groups were 8" or so. Cleary it does not shoot these cast bullets well.

I then shot 170 gr Hornady RN and H4895 loads mentioned above, and put five in 2.25" at 50 yards...

I have never had a rifle that only likes one bullet and rejects everything else that I try so completely.

mikejonestkd

Another update on the rifle.

I have been shooting it regularly and cleaning the snot out of the bore each time with copper solvent. Patches are still coming out blue, but at least the rifling is looking sharper than when I bought it.

I am currently running 195 gr Hornady spire points and 42 GR of H4895, seating out a bit long to reduce the jump to the lands.

Its finally shooting ok - 5 shot groups are right at 2" at 50 yards, which is not amazing, but, it is light years better than when I first bought the rifle.

Now I have a dozen half empty boxes of 8mm bullets that will not shoot in this gun....so, I guess I'll have to buy another mauser to burn them up in....