New Mexico governor issues order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque

Unfortunately, she comes from a New Mexico political dynasty (which is why she persists in using her middle name as part of her name -- and the media acquiesce in this), so it's unlikely that New Mexico Ds will throw her under any passing public transportation vehicles.

Wag

I'm not holding my breath either, 44Amp. New Mexicans are easily swayed by a hispanic name. They voted in droves for a Republican governor who had last name, Martinez. Not too surprising, really.

As for the gun bans she put in place, I think she is going to attempt to leverage the "discussion" to a legislative session this spring that includes a boatload of anti-gun proposals. That last time she did this, several came close but only one of them passed.

As Democrat as the state is, many of the Dems are still rather conservative in spite of party loyalties.

--Wag--

Wag said:
As Democrat as the state is, many of the Dems are still rather conservative in spite of party loyalties.
"Rather" conservative is, at best, a generous description.

I'm old enough to remember that before we had Gary Slider and www.handgunlaw.us there was a site called Packing.org. Handgunlaw.us came after Packing.org, when the person who owned Packing.org folded up his tent and went away. I don't remember any of the specifics, but that's not the point.

The point is that, back when Packing.org was my go-to site for information about other states, my perception of New Mexico was that it was fairly gun-friendly. Back then, there was a correspondent on the site who was in the NM State Police, who regularly posted updates on any changes to their laws. And, back then, their laws didn't strike me as being especially onerous. (However, my memory may be faulty.)

I haven't seen anyone from the NM State Police posting updates on any site since Packing.org disappeared, and I no longer consider NM's gun laws to be reasonable. As has been commented, it seems a bit odd that the state situated squarely between Arizona and Texas seems to have shifted so dramatically in the anti-gun direction in recent years. That's largely thanks to politicians like Ms. Grisham.

44 AMP

Staff
There are, as I see it, two distinct legal issues here, wrapped together, because, its, well, "GUNS!!" :eek::eek: (yes, intentional sarcasm)

The first one is, of course the restriction of lawful arms simply by Gubernatorial fiat, but the second one might be even worse, using an imaginary "public health crises" as the method and authority for the order.

And, lurking behind both is the worrisome fanaticism that says "if we can't get what we want through legal means (the entire legislative process) then its ok to use any means at our disposal to do it." (Executive order, public health order, etc....)

Morally/mentally bankrupt politicians who will not offer any significant solution to the issue but to ban/restrict guns are NOT solving the problem. It is, in fact doubtful to me that they want to solve the problem, no matter what public statements they make.

zukiphile

44 AMP said:
...using an imaginary "public health crises" as the method and authority for the order.

Any officeholder who didn't notice much of the population going supine at the appearance of a virus, and parts of the population howling to be governed harder, wasn't paying attention.