New Hitech Army "Rifle"-Part III

Hard Ball

Thinking about this leads me tp the mind blowing conclusion that if this program goes as planned all non-combat troops will have better more effective rifles than our infantry!

------------------
"I swear to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemeis domestic or foreign WHOMSOEVER."

dZ

With a really good ammo resupply system, a battalion of Oinkers(tm) would rule the field.
i can imagine the pentagon has run simulations on 20 mm HE lobbing squads against most of
the major battles in this century. Imagine the sniper scene from FMJ or SavingPR...
The OICW takes the idea of focused long range engagement and really increases the lethality of aimed fire.
HE burst a foot over the fox hole and its bodybag time at 300 yards. Then imagine the crew
served version handling 300 -1000 yard ranges and rolling high speed armor and you
have a recipe for swath cutting.
Remember the backline is going to have P-90's too. Spray and pray will be there too.

Since this is Landwarrior all the way, imagine the focus an internetworked air
support system could achieve. That ranging laser on the OICW will light up targets
for all kinds of airborne nasties. i can imaging 20mm pinging non lethal payloads that
act a triangular transponders to augment 3d tactical maps the Lt.'s are coordinating.

But, drop Oinkers into Mogudishu
and cut off resupply and they are in trouble.
Fast, low tech in high quantity is the way the Mongols took allot of Rome's territory.

another thought:
What would a 20mm round do at point blank?
does the HE go non detonating at sub 30 feet?
You know a soldier is going to get jumped at some point while he is reading the 20mm...

What would a volley of 50, 20mm HEs do to a 12 story building? Talk about urbane renewal!
wink.gif

dZ

Ivanhoe

dZ, which building did you have in mind?
wink.gif

I'm all for high-tech, but I'd still rather see development of a simple repeating grenade launcher. if the recoil wasn't too bad, might be kinda cool to ramp up to a 60mm cartridge.

question; at what range can you realistically use the 40mm grenades? what are the limiting factors; sighting, dispersion, range estimation?

Hard Ball

I'm mot sure that semi-automatic 20mm fire is going to be akk that effective. The blast effects of any 20mm round is not impressive.
I have seen Air Force fighters armed with 20mm Gatling guns straffing ground targets. Despite the fact that these guns fire 100 rounds per second the effects on building type targets was not that impressive,