New handgun suggestions please?

cerberus65

Is the P220 in 9mm or .45 ACP?

Either way you either have 2 or 3 calibers which means you have a loooong way to go. You definitely need some .22's. I have more guns chambered in .22 than any other caliber (semi-auto, revolvers, and rifles).

A 1911 would be a great addition too. Everyone should have one. The 1911 platform will be 100 years old next year and it's still going strong. You can get a Phillipine-made, base model for $400. Or you can spends thousands and thousands on custom builds. And in between there are more manufacturers than you can shake a stick at. I have several - the trigger will hook you for sure!

Everyone ought to have at least one snub-nose too. They can be a lot more difficult to shoot but the practice makes you a better shot on full size guns too. Whatever you do, though, don't buy a scandium frame snubby that weighs 12 ounces and load it up with buffalo bore on your first range trip. You'll sell the gun for sure. :eek:

.44 Magnum is a lot of fun. It sure helps to be a reloader though!

In the same vein as snubbies you could look at pocket pistols in .32 ACP or .380 ACP. .32 isn't bad at all to shoot. .380 can be a handful. I think I worked harder at shooting .380 accurately than I did .357 Magnum in a stainless steel snub-nose.

The sky's pretty much the limit from where you're sitting so have fun.

Last edited:

shafter

I don't know. I really have this thing for classic smith and wessons. You do have quite a few holes in your collection though. If it was me I'd probably get a Smith and Wesson Model 10, 15, or 19. A Colt Detective Special or Agent would scratch the itch as well.
It's your birthday so you should get whatever will make you the happiest. Everyone should have a 1911 in the collection so go ahead and get one.

I saw it mentioned and also think its a great idea. Get a reloading setup. I have a really simple Lee handpress and think it's the smartest thing I've done in a long time.

highvel

I agree with others, Everyone should have their own 1911 to love and fondle whenever they desire.
I remember my first, just like it was yesterday when we fell in love, and later she didn't mind sharing our relationship with other 1911's as the years went by!:)

chanroc

Snubs fun to shoot

My Ruger SP101 3" is fun to shoot. My S&W 442 Airweight - Not so fun.

I agree on adding a .22LR. Cheap and fun. If you get a 1911, don't get too fancy with it if it's not going to be your main gun. Be careful. They are addicting. I have two and tend to drool over them at the gun shop. My two cents.

carguychris

It looks like to me that you need a S&W model 617.
+1, although my preference would be a used Model 17 because IMHO the full-underlug barrel on most 617s makes them more muzzle-heavy than a .22 needs to be. Also, if you buy a 50s-early 70s M17, it will have that lustrous deep blue finish and impeccable quality that S&W is famous for. :cool:

Either gun is cheap to feed, accurate beyond belief, and will make you proud when you hand it down to your children someday.

CMichael

I made a decision.

I bought this morning a Kimber Pro Raptor II .45 acp.

Kimber.jpg

bob kk

Looks like a good choice. I have a Python. And a few 4 and two inch
revolvers. Shoot the 1911's more. Just fit my hand better. Kimber's
aren't hard to take down. Just read the manual a couple times first.