New Gun--Suggestions?

TexasFats

I have the hots for a 9mm. I pretty well have it narrowed down to either a Browning High Power (I already have one in .40 S&W) or a SIG P229. I own one Glock and one is enough. I am not overly impressed with Ruger Semis, although I like Ruger revolvers and rifles. I also don't particularly want plastic. Any thoughts?

JWT

You're going to get LOTS of suggestions. It all comes down to personal preference.

Take a look at the CZ line of 9mms. Very solid guns at very reasonable prices.

TexasFats

Majic,

I neglected to mention that I also own a SIG P239, in .40 S&W, as is my High Power. I love both guns. I usually take the High Power to the range, since it is the gun that I had planned to use to qualify for my CHL. Also, the P239 only holds 7 in a mag, making it mainly a carry piece. But, the SIG is super easy to field-strip and clean, and I like that. The reason that I am looking at the P229 is because of capacity, 13 rounds instead of the 7 of the P239. The Browning would hold 13 also, and the published weights are about the same. It may come down to which one I find in my preferred stores first.

As for the CZ75 that someone else mentioned, I might get one at one store, but they have really irked me the times I have gone in, and, now, I am about to drop them. They only want to push what the boss told them to push today, and act like they don't want to wait on anybody. For those reasons, I have dropped them and will only patronize them when I want something that I can't get anywere else and don't want to wait to order. <rant mode off>

BigJimP

I think the SIG is the better choice - but I don't think there is much wrong with the Hi-Power either.

Personally, I like the 226 all stainless model - and I have them in 9mm and in .40 S&W and they're great guns. The 229 is a compromise between the 239 and the 226 models. I like the extra weight and length of the 226 model but it depends on what fits your hand the best.

In a SIG I think the all stainless versions hold up a little better than the alloy frame models although there is nothing wrong with an alloy frame. I'm not a poly fan - from SIG, Wilson, etc .

PSP

I have a suggestion for a great gun. CDNN has a bunch of the new P7 Grade A guns for only $674. That is a fantastic price for a really nice gun, some say the perfect CCW.

All steel
polygonal 4.1" barrel
compact, thin, fast to action size.
Good trigger
Accurate and easy to shoot

RandomTask

I called CDNN and they have about 30 grade A's available. The P7 is the best choice IMO for CCW, and that price is probably the best you'll find during this recent rash of P7 imports.
CDNN is supposed to have grade B's coming in at $599.

enikkor

I'm in the same boat.

I'm looking for another 9mm. I have two already, but I'm looking for
something that I can put in pouch and carry in the car, etc.
The cost of ammo brings me more to the 9mm as my main defensive
round.
I'm leaning to the Smith M&P! The price is right, they have a good write
up, good ergonomics and apparently reliable.
I have a Sig P226, a very reliable and durable piece, but I just cannot shoot
very accurately with it. Some say it's bec. of the high bore axis, also the
thick grip. Maybe if I practice more, it will be fine. I may use it as a house
gun.
The other one I have is a STI Trojan. A wonderful gun for the range
and target shooting.
I'm looking for a something practical and not expensive, that I can carry
and not care too much about.

BigJimP

I would recommend you practice with the SIG 226 - but you might want to look at a 1911 frame in 9mm ( Kimber, Wilson Combat, Les Baer and others) have a variety of 1911's in 9mm.

The gun I put in my desk and carry in my brief case is a Kimber 9mm tactical pro II - it's a nice light gun, easily concealable - 4" barrel, alloy fram ( with a 1911 quality trigger on it ).

MJZZZ

When I was looking for an all steel, target shooter 9MM, I went with a CZ 75 Compact and Kadet .22 kit. I am 100% happy with the choice. Now I'm looking for a small polymer 9MM, and am stumped. Mike

stephen426

I'd say go with the Sig. What is the main purpose of the gun? If you already have the P239 for carry, why not get a full size for target? The P226 is a good choice. You might also want to consider STI. They make full size 9mm in 1911 style guns. They claim that they are not custom gun makers, but thier factory guns out shoot many "custom guns". My collection is pretty diverse since I enjoy the diversity.

For some crazy reason or other, I avoided 1911s for the first 10 years of my gun ownership. Maybe it was the "dangerous" single action trigger. Maybe it was the complicated disassembly (compared to Glock, Sig, and Beretta). I have to say that my Les Baer TR Special has become my favorite gun and is probably the best shooting gun I own. It ain't cheap though! :eek:

Dangerwing

+1 vote for the Beretta!! (if youre going for non-polymer) I carried a M9 in the Army and bought a used 92FS. Both had had thousands and thousands of rounds fired and had been beaten to hell yet were as reliable as could be. The only problem I ever encountered was weak mag springs - especially if you didnt disassemble and stretch them on a regular basis. Oh and theyre a little hard to conceal:p

chopz

after a month or so of deliberation i was almost certain i would buy a high power. what a beautiful gun.

i bought the cz75b sa (and kadet kit) instead because:

1) no mag disconnect to mess with trigger pull.

2) no chance of hammer bite

3) a lot cheaper

4) kadet kit reportedly very accurate

decided on the sa because

1) drop free mag out of the box

2) lighter trigger

3) closer to a high power in operation than a da/sa or decocker model

i found the articles at http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com very helpful. i'm not fond of blued guns; the cz has a powder-coat finish, which i feel will prove more long-lasting than blued (my other pistol, a ruger mkII, is stainless). i may eventually buy a high power. but lately i've been thinking i'd like to own more czs. :D

MJZZZ

Good move chopz, there should be some snap caps in the box so clean it and oil it up good. I dry fired mine about 500 times using half of the snap caps, that really smoothed the trigger out. You can poke the green cap out and turn it around to use both sides. Good luck. Mike