new gun return to dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Could use some help, as may be outdated as what assistance to expect from dealer. Bought a new Henry "x" side gate model for premium price from established dealer. Took home and followed instructions to clean it before firing. After cleaning the bore from factory test firing, looked up through bore from breech, saw a straight "track" the length of bore that including some tearing into the rifling with several little jagged bits of metal strung off. Took it back to dealer and explained situation to them.

The manager explained to me they don't accept "returns" and it was on me to return rifle for warranty service. Politely explained to him reason some use established dealers is they stand behind what they sell, and manufacturers have tendency to pay more attention to dealers than people off the street. Then there is dealing with shipping from non-licensed people, which is a pain. He did let me use the phone for one phone call to manufacturer, but explained they didn't make the rifling blunder, so it wasn't their problem. Also indicated they had to "transfer" the firearm back and forth if they sent it back to manufacturer.

For a little background, was one of their first members of their modern indoor range, and have spent almost $8,000 there since it opened. Then politely explained had previously brought back a new shotgun with similar problem, and they had contacted the manufacturer and gotten replacement. The shotgun was the only other time had brought anything back.

I could understand this business tact if i had only used them for a transfer, but will not buy anything more from them.

Am i being old fashioned, or is this the new standard practice?

ghbucky

Were you dealing with a clerk or an owner? If it was the owner, I'd never see them again. If it was just a clerk, I would find an owner.

Shadow9mm

You want my honest opinion. You sound entitled. Buying a gun is like a new car, once it's off the lot it's your unless you want to sell it back as used. Issues under warranty go back to the manufacturer not the store you bought it from. Asking the store to eat the manufacturers mistake is not right.

Ask them to send it in for warranty work or replacement. And ignore whoever you talked to on the phone. Send it in for a damaged barred upon receipt, and let the techs make the call.

zeke

You want my honest opinion. You sound entitled. Buying a gun is like a new car, once it's off the lot it's your unless you want to sell it back as used. Issues under warranty go back to the manufacturer not the store you bought it from. Asking the store to eat the manufacturers mistake is not right.

Ask them to send it in for warranty work or replacement. And ignore whoever you talked to on the phone. Send it in for a damaged barred upon receipt, and let the techs make the call.
Am appreciative of honest opinions, although certainly find it difficult to think of myself as entitled. The only thing the dealer loses is a little time, not the cost of firearm.

So if you bought a new car from a dealer, and the motor dropped out the next day, you would trailer it to the manufacturer? You wouldn't expect the car dealer to coordinate/fix it under warranty?

It is quite possible gun dealers operate differently now a days. But if they don't handle warranty work, i can just transfer through a smaller dealer for hundreds less.

I didn't talk to the dealer over the phone, it was in person.

FITASC

Bad analogy as the dealer is also a repair shop. If your gunshop is also a warranty repair center, then he should take the time.

Am appreciative of honest opinions, although certainly find it difficult to think of myself as entitled. The only thing the dealer loses is a little time, not the cost of firearm.

So if you bought a new car from a dealer, and the motor dropped out the next day, you would trailer it to the manufacturer? You wouldn't expect the car dealer to coordinate/fix it under warranty?

It is quite possible gun dealers operate differently now a days. But if they don't handle warranty work, i can just transfer through a smaller dealer for hundreds less.
As FITASC has pointed out, the automobile analogy doesn't work. The warranty model for cars is that the dealer performs the repairs, and the factory reimburses the dealer for the labor.

Here's a link to a Henry owner's manual: https://assets.henryusa.com/uploads/2015/02/Big-Boy-Web-Manual.pdf

The warranty is stated right at the beginning:

SIMPLE LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
Henry Repeating Arms Company stands behind its products as it has historically. We offer a simple limited lifetime warranty. If you have a problem with a Henry rifle, and it is our fault, we will fix it at any time, and at no charge. The warranty does not cover excessive wear and tear to parts, or accidental damage to parts.
The warranty doesn't say to return the firearm to the selling dealer, it says that Henry will fix it. I would call Henry. They can arrange for shipment of the firearm to them (although I don't know if they do this, I know they can because I have had other makers do so).

Shadow9mm

I didn't talk to the dealer over the phone, it was in person.
From what you said I cannot tell whether you were trying to return it to your dealer for a refund, or have them send it out for warranty work. But this has been my experience.

Most dealers I have dealt with, whether they be big box, or mom an pop, don't handle warranty work. Every gun I have had to send back, whether it was an official retailer or otherwise, I had to contact the manufacturer and get a RMA order.

First was a Walther PPK. I contacted Walther and got an RMA. they had me take it to an authorized retailer which I had to loo up, who accepted it and were paid by Walther, came back and I was surprised I did not have to pay for shipping/transfter. Walther / S&W win in my book.

Second was a NAA in 22 mag. key holing at 3yds. Called NAA. they sent a RMA. offered to send a shipping label. I declined as I preferred to go through a dealer. I paid the dealer $30 to send it, NAA fixed it and sent it back to the dealer where I picked it up, good to go.

third was a TC Compass. Least easy of the 3. Explained my issue, went back and forth, they authorized a RMA, no shipping label, all on me. Sent it in, they replaced the bolt head and sent it back. Kind of disappointed in their customer service.

In all 3 cases it was my responsibility to contact the manufacturer to coordinate the return. One sent me to a retailer, one sent me a label, one I had to figure out. and finding a box for that rifle was not fun.

In either case, saying essentially, I'm a good customer, I spent $8000 here you should make and exception to your policy and do this for me, does sound entitled to me.

If it were me I would be mad at the customer service of Henry.

I would contact Henry and ask to send the rifle in. Tell them you think there is an issue with the barrel and want to have it checked out. Apparently they are sensitive, so don't try to blame them for a specific problem, just tell them you want it looked at cause you see something odd. Don't take no for an answer from customer service, get the RMA, send it in, make them take a look at it. My guess if you will get a replacement barrel and be good to go. If they don't make it right count it as a loss, sell the rifle, and don't buy a henry again. And let us know so we wont buy one either if that's how they have decided to operate.

zeke

Was not trying to get refund, but did want them to send it back to Henry. I did not explain to the manager (newer employee) how much i had previously spent in the store, but how they had previously handled warranty work on the shotgun. Can see how this poor wording on my part, or even thinking they should provide this service might be construed as entitled by some.

Have had several experiences with warranty work over the years, all being directly after purchase. Am older and have bought more than a couple firearms. Excepting recalls on the SA xds (45 and 9mm) the dealers all handled it. Including one time on a used shotgun. Maybe 4 times over 40 odd years? Is a pia to ship firearms for me with local carrier attitudes and distance from centers.

Anyway, am appreciative of the responses. Am a little isolated, and maybe times are/have changed without me recognizing it.

Henry immediately accepted firearm for warranty, and were very nice about it.

Shadow9mm

Excellent, hopefully they get her all patched up with a new barrel and she's a tack driver. Let us know how it turns out.

MC 1911

We wouldn't take returns but we would ship back to mfg. if it was a warranty issue. There was no charge to customer as mfg. paid shipping. Dealers have no obligation to do this, it was just our policy.

Nathan

Guns are weird. I know we want a dealer that:
1) Is educated on the current market selection and has handled/fired them
2) Has user level experience....maybe police, trainer, competitor
3) Can accept a return or at least take a leading roll in a warranty repair
4) Has a full time in-house gunsmith

I have almost never seen a shop with any of these things. The large expensive shops treat me as poorly as anybody locally. They make their bread and butter money selling to people who don’t care about prices and really just want to be loved. I find it funny to hear them talk to the shop “buds”. “Hey, you see the latest Wilson?” “Yea, set one aside for me.” It’s like a freaking tennis club. I’ll bet the shop cleans their guns.

In modern times, you are luck if they ship back under $50.

dogtown tom

zeke ..... Took home and followed instructions to clean it before firing.
Who's instructions?
Henry doesn't say to do that.

After cleaning the bore from factory test firing, looked up through bore from breech, saw a straight "track" the length of bore that including some tearing into the rifling with several little jagged bits of metal strung off. Took it back to dealer and explained situation to them.
Manufacturing issue.

The manager explained to me they don't accept "returns" and it was on me to return rifle for warranty service.
That's because many manufacturers do not want guns returned to the dealer, but directly to them. If Henry wants your gun returned via the dealer they would say so in your owners manual. They don't.
What Henry tells you to do:
SERVICING AND REPAIR
If you believe that your Henry rifle requires repair or adjustment, we suggest that you first contact our
Customer Service by email at info@henryrepeating.com or by phone at 201-858-4400. It may be a problem
that we can resolve by phone or by sending a replacement part.
In the unlikely event that your firearm requires adjustments or repair, please make certain that it is unloaded
and send it to us at the following address:
HRAC
59 East 1st Street
Bayonne, NJ 07002
Att: Repair Dept.

Politely explained to him reason some use established dealers is they stand behind what they sell, and manufacturers have tendency to pay more attention to dealers than people off the street. Then there is dealing with shipping from non-licensed people, which is a pain. He did let me use the phone for one phone call to manufacturer, but explained they didn't make the rifling blunder, so it wasn't their problem. Also indicated they had to "transfer" the firearm back and forth if they sent it back to manufacturer.
That's an assumption by you, and not at all a standard practice. Quite clearly Henry wants YOU, the buyer, to contact Henry Customer Service.

For a little background, was one of their first members of their modern indoor range, and have spent almost $8,000 there since it opened. Then politely explained had previously brought back a new shotgun with similar problem, and they had contacted the manufacturer and gotten replacement. The shotgun was the only other time had brought anything back.

I could understand this business tact if i had only used them for a transfer, but will not buy anything more from them.
I treat every customer the same, whether for a simple $10 transfer or the sale of $20K worth of silencers. Pull the "well I spend a lot of $$$ with you" card doesn't affect how I treat a customer. In fact, I fired the first customer that tried playing that card. He is not missed.

Am i being old fashioned, or is this the new standard practice?
Neither.
It's been a standard and normal practice for the last twenty odd years for manufacturers to ask that you send firearms directly to them for repair and service. Sure, some dealers will ship it back for you, they'll cover the cost by charging higher prices on stuff you buy.

dogtown tom

zeke

Who do you think pays to ship it in for repair?

Apples to oranges.
Car dealers clearly include warranty and service agreements. Automobile manufacturers have warranty work performed by.........wait for it.........their dealerships.

<-----is one ;)

MarkCO

As both a dealer and a manufacturer, your dealer is correct in most cases. Once you leave with a gun and have taken possession of it, any issues with the actual gun should go to the manufacturer. An unlicensed person CAN send a firearm directly to the manufacturer and receive it back from same provided the same serialized gun comes back...Even then, in some states, it can come back to you. Most manufacturers will mail you a shipment box, RMA and shipping label. (the saving grace for a few of my last Remingtons)

In most cases the dealer makes little profit on gun sales, and what profit they make would be consumed with acting as a middle man for the manufacturer. If the dealer is a warranty repair shop for the manufacturer, of course that is a different story.

It has been this way for quite some time in my experience.

zeke

Who's instructions?
Henry doesn't say to do that.

That most certainly was straight out of the owners manual supplied with the rifle.

Manufacturing issue.

Most certainly was, as firearm was never fired aside from the factory check.

That's because many manufacturers do not want guns returned to the dealer, but directly to them. If Henry wants your gun returned via the dealer they would say so in your owners manual. They don't.

In my experience the dealer acted as a check that there was actually something amiss. Your opinion/experience may differ.

What Henry tells you to do:
SERVICING AND REPAIR
If you believe that your Henry rifle requires repair or adjustment, we suggest that you first contact our
Customer Service by email at info@henryrepeating.com or by phone at 201-858-4400. It may be a problem
that we can resolve by phone or by sending a replacement part.
In the unlikely event that your firearm requires adjustments or repair, please make certain that it is unloaded
and send it to us at the following address:
HRAC
59 East 1st Street
Bayonne, NJ 07002
Att: Repair Dept.

Would not consider a defective firearm a repair or adjustment. The manager was not being specific to Henry, but was specific to all the firearms they sell. If a customer was sold such a defective firearm, there should be an option of immediate refund. If a dealer does not wish to stand behind the products they sell, thats there choice and should infrom the customer upfront, before the decision to purchase is made. Course ya might not sell as many guns that way.

That's an assumption by you, and not at all a standard practice. Quite clearly Henry wants YOU, the buyer, to contact Henry Customer Service.

Your experience is certainly different than my 40 plus years. Granted am not experienced with how the vast majority of manufacturers operate, have not had to return many guns.

I treat every customer the same, whether for a simple $10 transfer or the sale of $20K worth of silencers. Pull the "well I spend a lot of $$$ with you" card doesn't affect how I treat a customer. In fact, I fired the first customer that tried playing that card. He is not missed.

As previously explained, did not "play" that card, but included it as background. Please read through all the posts if you decide to answer in this manner.

Neither.
It's been a standard and normal practice for the last twenty odd years for manufacturers to ask that you send firearms directly to them for repair and service. Sure, some dealers will ship it back for you, they'll cover the cost by charging higher prices on stuff you buy.

Again, not in my experience which started way before 20 years ago. Maybe how alot of people operate now adays, but that is why i asked the questions. Thank you for your candid response, but please save your attitude for your actual customers.

stinkeypete

Zeke, sorry to hear you got a clinker.

The good news is that everything I have heard about Henry is that their service is A+++. Call them.

If they are like Ruger, they will be sending you a pre-paid shipping label and you should have your rifle as it should be soon.

Please keep us informed with your progress with Henry. These sorts of experiences are real data and how they handle you may inform my next rifle purchase.

zeke

Zeke, sorry to hear you got a clinker.

The good news is that everything I have heard about Henry is that their service is A+++. Call them.

If they are like Ruger, they will be sending you a pre-paid shipping label and you should have your rifle as it should be soon.

Please keep us informed with your progress with Henry. These sorts of experiences are real data and how they handle you may inform my next rifle purchase.

Thanks, Henry immediately accepted return of the rifle, and were very pleasant. The ladies were very nice, which is fortunate as am not in possession of a cell phone.

My first experience with them, but like lever action rifles and was looking for one with threaded muzzle and enough energy in sub sonic velocity to do crop deprivation/nuisance/damage permits quietly. Henry has the 1::20 twist, and some reports written indicate very good accuracy with 300 gn xtp's. Wouldn't have bought one without the side gate. The lop is too long for short arms, but if it works out will shorten the stock.

jmr40

At one time a FEW gun shops would be helpful on stuff like this. But anymore virtually all gun shops offer the Oklahoma guarantee. If it breaks in half, you own both halves. It is up to you to contact the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.