New gun on lay-a-way

WillBrayjr

Congrats!!! :cool:

Can't help you on holsters but can an ammo!

CCI Blazer 158gr for practice and Speer GoldDot 125+P self defense. The Blazer practice round clocks in at 755fps with 200ft lbs and the GoldDot+P clocks in at 945fps with 248ft lbs!

Hope this helps

100W_Warlock

I second the Gold Dot HP+P...

Excellent round.

The 125gr +P is perfect for a 38/357. Not too heavy, not to light...just right.

The Remington Golden Saber is also a really good expanding bullet. My gripe with Rem on it is that they don't make it in a 158gr version. (or 160 or 170...for that matter)

I have never been a big fan of Federal Hydrashock ammo after I had it misfeed at the range during practice drills and double taps in my 1911. (45acp)
[tought to get over that stigma...even when I know a revolver has none of the same problems]

Practice, practice, practice....

Mastrogiacomo

I'm buying this gun so I can practice, practice, practice. I didn't want something I couldn't use or that made it unpleasant to fire. Hopefully, this will be perfect for carry and range with the right weight and caliber. I don't typically use Federal and can't recall the last time I did. I tend to stick more with Winchester but I'll certainly give Remington a try.

bci4usa

Congratulations nice gun.

Keep in mind if you only shoot reload and or ammo that you would never use in an defensive manner then the gun and shooting, shooting, shooting does you no good.

What if that gun was the only gun you could get to at the time of need to save you’re family’s life or yours and you have no idea what that gun feels like.

I always shoot fresh ammo and always keep my guns loaded and ready to go.

I like to believe I know how to hand my guns in times of needs.

Galco makes a great holster and so does safariland.

can't go wrong with gold dot or federal ammo. Silver tips are hot

log on to S and W web page and they have holsters for all the guns..

[

Last edited:

Mastrogiacomo

I don't shoot reload ammo and, as true with all my guns, I normally use a variety of range and personal defense ammo to get a feel for them. I enjoy the hollow points for some reason and with a 686 -- trust me, you can shoot anything. I plan to do the same with this gun. As stated previously, I use Winchester -- range ammo and hollow points but I'm up to try other good brands as well as long it's not the cheap stuff and reliable.

Tom2

ammo

I think you could shoot the 158 grain plus p loads with no trouble since the 60 is a steel frame gun. They are nice soft lead hollowpoints so they expand at lower velocities than some jacketed rounds. Also shoot at the sights in most cases. Some light bullets will shoot low with the fixed sights. I shoot them out of my steel snubs and find they are not bad to shoot with good grips, like the rubber ones they put on the Smiths now. I don't shoot that load excessively to prevent excessive leading and wear on the gun though.
That is the load I keep on hand in the nightstand gun. Not that there is anything wrong with the other loads. I am taking advantage of the fact you can fire the heavy bullet that you cannot do in a small auto gun. Everyone makes a holster for the 5 shot snubs so look around alot. Don't settle for the cheapest nylon bargain buster for CCW. But they are OK for range or sport use.

DHart

I do enjoy my little 60, though I don't often choose it for carry because of the hammer spur.

At present one of the very best defense loads for snubbies in .38 spl. is Speer's new 135 gr. +P Gold Dot. Speer specifically developed this load with the 2" S&W (and similar guns) in mind. Velocity from the 2" barrel is about 870 or so and the bullet is designed to fully expand at that speed.

In bare gelatin, gelatin clad with heavy clothing, and gelatin clad with 4 denim layers, the round penetrates about 11-13", expands to .55 to .58", and retains 100% of it's weight. Pretty impressive from a 2" .38 spl revolver.

Here's a link to the technical data for this load, which is fast becoming the top choice in loads for guns like the 60, 642, 640, SP101, etc.

http://www.le.atk.com/pdf/SpeerTech38_135HP.pdf

SouthpawShootr

What type of carry are you looking for?

I thoroughly dislike IWB with revolvers. Haven't come across something that was comfortable yet. If your preference is OWB, then Galco's Speed Master is nice. Hume has a nice OWB H721. Best price is at www.gunnersalley.com.

If pocket carry is your cup of tea, nothing beats a Hedley pocket holster. My 642 resides in one.

Clemson

You will certainly like your Model 60! I practice with Georgia Arms "Canned Heat." I also carry their Gold Dot +P 125 grain ammunition in my Concealed Carry gun. You can have it delivered to your door in most states, but I cannot vouch for Massachusets. www.georgia-arms.com

Dillon carries a very competent J-frame belt holster called their "Master." When I belt carry the J-frame, that is the one I use. www.dillonprecision.com At $43.95, it is also bargain-priced for a good quality, leather holster. I MUCH prefer leather to Nylon or those molded plastic atrocities.

Clemson

bci4usa

are you married?

a woman with many guns. How many do you have? Galoc is all leather so is SAFARILAND

Last edited:

Mastrogiacomo

Let's see if I can remember....

Had a Brig -- sold it. Had a 442 -- sold it. Own the following:

Three Beretta compacts type M (one I sold to my father)
One Standard 92FS
Beretta CX Storm
Glock 19
Colt Detective Special
S&W 686 4"
Walther P99 (bought it for my father)
Ruger GP100 (bought it for my father)
Red Ryder BB gun -- does it count? :p
Ruger New Single Six
S&W 60 on the way... Jeez, more guns than I thought I had.... :eek:

bci4usa

this is what I keep in the house
keep in mind the shot gun is a 12 GA no a 20, don't ask me what i was thinking.

Last edited:

Mastrogiacomo

I'm planning on getting my father a 26" 870 express in synthetic. Not sure I'd use a shotgun in the house. I'd worry it'd knock me on my behind though I know people prefer big guns.

SouthpawShootr

Jeez, more guns than I thought I had....

I get that feeling everytime I update my safe inventory. You know you've got problems when you need a database to keep track of your collection. I have never "lost" any (all are secure) and have never came home with something I already had, but sometimes I've had to stop and think. Sometimes, I just think "damn, where did all this come from." I always kick myself when I sell one, though.