New Gifted Flintlock/Heavy Rust!

Pahoo

Looking better ...Eh ???

Or would you just shoot it and use bore lapping as a problem solver later if it’s needed.
An instructor friend of mine, from Texas once said; you don't feed an entire bale of hay, to one cow. We got a good laugh out of that and understood what he meant even though most of us XXX Yankees had never had to feed a cow. I can tell you are going at a good pace as slow and easy is going to win this race. At some point you are going to drop a bore-light and get a better picture of what your next move will be. There is a variety of lights, you can use and one is a Bobber-Light sold at Walmart. I prefer the amber. …. :)

I'd clean it and shoot it. You may can fire a few loads and burn some of the rust out.

That works to a point and no harm in trying !!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

5whiskey

Well evaporust is good stuff. Just as mehavey said. And yeah maybe I probably shouldn't try to force feed this cow, I would love to get it right before I have to deploy for a year starting in July in case my boy wants to hunt with it come the fall. Only so many chances to get to the range before I'm out for a while.

Looks like the lands are pitted a fair bit. It actually smooths out some about halfway down the bore, at least it looks like it. I probably will shoot it before I mess with lapping.

Attachments

• 20190428_220226.jpg
    20190428_220226.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 46
Even a pitted bore can shoot well. After cleaning it, I'd shoot it and take it from there. You're supposed to have fun with it and not make it an heirloom to pass down.

BTW, I'd clean it with a nickel and coconut oil.

Pahoo

Good job !!!

5whiskey
The reason I have followed this thread, is because I felt that with a little effort, the project would come your way. Of this era, I have never seen one that could not be brought back to being a shooter. There are just too many things that are very forgiving. I have shot some really bad bores and although they are not my first choice, they will still shoot good groups and will kill. …. ;)

The problems with pitting, is that it cuts patches. This will eventually effect your accuracy as well as leading the pits. "When" you finally go to the range, be sure to read your shot patches and see what you have to work with. …. :)

Have fun and;
Be Safe !!!

5whiskey

Sigh, yes I got some good flints mehavey. Sparks are weak and orange even after shimming and tuning the flint. They also gouge the frizzen what I’m fairly sure (despite lack of experience) is more than normal. I’m going to pick up a Lyman frizzen but will try resurfacing and hardening (or shoeing) this one layer.

I’ve read up on it some, and I have the older t/c lock that apparently is less than optimal. Gonna keep it and make it work though.

mehavey

A 29-cent lag screw is your friend.
35bwcqw.jpg

shurshot

I clean rust off with Hoppes 9, and 0000 steel wool. Clean once, soak it in Hoppes again, allowing it to set up overnight and repeat. Hoppes 9 works great, but it takes time. Then lightly coat with bore butter.

5whiskey

..... oh..... yer jus' gonna LUV flintlocks

Yes, yes I do :cool:

So I finally got a chance to take her out. I used 3F BP (grafs) just because I didn't want to order 2F and have a hard time using it to prime, and I refuse to fiddle with two different powders for priming and main charge. I used a .490 ball that I cast and pocket drill for a patch, spit lubed. I tried 70 and 80 grains (weighed, going to make a volume measure when I find my charge) with no real difference between the 2. I doubt I go higher than 80 grains of 3F with a PRB. When ramming the balls home I did notice that the bore was pretty rough until about halfway down. It smoothed out noticeably there.

All in all I'm pleased that I made the thing fire and had a couple of decent shots. It's definitely... different. I pulled probably half my shots, but could at least call where I pulled them.

I'm sure I'll be back with a bunch of questions after next range session. My first one was just a quickie to get my feet wet. I made the gun shoot and made some decent hits when I forced myself to hold steady. Which is as good as I could ask for.

Thanks to all who gave advice and talked me into cleaning the thing up and just getting out and shooting it.

5whiskey

Thanks again to everyone. The rifle shoots just fine. Plenty enough for hunting accuracy to 100 yards with a PRB. I was expecting it to be all over the place at 100 yards based off of my first day's shooting... but I've improved my follow-through a good deal and held about a 3" 3 round group at 100 today, in the black no less.

The 320 grain Lee "real" conical? Yeah I found that 1 of 5 hit the 2'x3' target board. Back to the drawing board on those guys, I think I'll try with a lubed wad next time.