New Federal law re: ammo sales?

rebs

At our local wally world if you buy hand gun ammo they ask to see your permit and if that caliber gun is not listed on it they won't sell you the ammo. I explained the ammo was for a 9mm carbine but he still would not sell it to me. Another wally world about 9 miles from there will sell you any ammo you want and don't ask for anything ID or hand gun permit.

JoeSixpack

Im pretty sure the ID check has been walmart policy for some great many years. (like 10+)

Although on occasion I've had them not ID me and they just use their own, I do think the items are flagged like alcohol and require a ID to complete the sale though, they always ask is this for a rifle or a handgun which does elude to the federal law on selling ammo to the underage.

On the other hand I've not bought ammo at walmart in about 3 years.. their prices are just no longer competitive and I've not seen 22lr on their shelf since many years long than that... I refuse to stake out the trucks when I can get it for the same price or cheaper online.

Tinbucket

new Federal Law

I can add nothing abut the Law.
However, it sucks.
As a child and teenager I bought lots of ammo.
No way restricting ammo to adults accomplishes anything.
It is a form of persecution pure and simple.
The anti gunners display of hate.
California and Gov Moonbat or Moonbeam are headed Venezuela on our dime.
I haven't heard anything from President Trump.
I thought he was going to change things big time about our 2A Rights, for the better. I hope he doesn't deal them away.
It would be nice if every Firearms Owner and supporter of our Constitution. bombarded the White House to come to the aid of the Republic and our Rights.
There are a lot of us and apparently we are all lazy, including me.
White house .Gov doesn't seem to work no ping that emails arrive nor any replies.

carguychris

rebs said:
At our local wally world if you buy hand gun ammo they ask to see your permit and if that caliber gun is not listed on it they won't sell you the ammo. I explained the ammo was for a 9mm carbine but he still would not sell it to me.
I assume you're under 21.

You're correct in understanding that the under-21 restriction on handgun ammunition—18 USC § 922(b)—is tied to the type of firearm the ammo will be used in, rather than whether it's generally considered to be a handgun cartridge.

However, this is precisely the type of subtlety that I wouldn't expect a big-box store clerk to understand. :rolleyes: They simply follow the prompts on the screen.

TailGator

Rebs: At our local wally world if you buy hand gun ammo they ask to see your permit and if that caliber gun is not listed on it they won't sell you the ammo. I explained the ammo was for a 9mm carbine but he still would not sell it to me.
CarGuyChris: I assume you're under 21.
Rebs: I am 70

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. What state do you live in, Rebs? I ask because of your reference to listing guns on your license.

natman

The "must be 21 to buy handgun ammo" law has been in effect for many years.

27 CFR 478.99 - Certain prohibited sales or deliveries.

(b)Sales or deliveries to underaged persons. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector shall not sell or deliver (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition, is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age,...
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.99

May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 caliber rimfire ammunition to a person less than 21 years of age?

Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the licensee is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the buyer must be at least 21 years of age.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1); 27 CFR 478.99(b)]
ATF FAQ
[emphasis added]

When I worked in a gun shop and the occasion arose, I would casually ask "what are you going to shoot that in?". As long as the answer was a rifle, I made the sale.

Last edited: