New Federal law re: ammo sales?

15plus1

Hi all,

Was at Walmart the other night and stopped by sporting goods to pick up a box of 9mm and I got carded for ID.

This is not unusual and it's not an issue as I always have my wallet and ID. However, the clerk stated that he had to ID me because of a new federal law that went into effect and handed me a Wallyworld info sheet that I really didn't read.

I replied that I thought age verification for ammo had always been the law, 18 for rifle/21 for handgun, as I have been carded for ammo many times (I look fairly young and have blue hair, I get it:eek:) and was told that, no, it was a law that just went into effect the previous day.

So, while I don't expect much legal knowledge from my local Wal-Mart clerks, is this more than likely a corporate crackdown on IDing that he was confused or misinformed about?

carguychris

15plus1 said:
...the clerk stated that he had to ID me because of a new federal law that went into effect...
That's bullhockey. :rolleyes:

Federal law on the topic is summarized in the post linked below. Note that the post is from 2011. The law has not changed since then.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4636723&postcount=4

18 USC § 922(b) makes it unlawful for an FFL to "to sell or deliver... ammunition [if the firearm is other than] a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age..." 18 USC § 922(x) makes it unlawful for any person to "sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile [under 18 years old]... ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun."

However, NEITHER section imposes a positive and unequivocal requirement to actually check the buyer's ID—it only prohibits the sale IF the seller "knows or has reasonable cause to believe" that the buyer is underage. Employees at dedicated gun stores understand this subtlety, hence most of them generally don't card anyone unless they obviously appear underage.
15plus1 said:
So, while I don't expect much legal knowledge from my local Wal-Mart clerks, is this more than likely a corporate crackdown on IDing that he was confused or misinformed about?
Yes. :D [EDIT TO ADD: It's also possible that the new policy is a reaction to state law and the clerk is too ignorant to realize the difference. Your profile doesn't reveal your location.]
Doyle said:
Just another Wallyworld employee who knows nothing about the actual law.
Yup. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mr bolo

WALMART scanning DL

there are reports from California WALMARTS of customers having the info scanned on their Driver's License to purchase ammo

they use to ask to see ID to verify age, now they are scanning to keep records of who buys the ammo, to get your personal info, name , current address, DL number.

but people in CA only have until Dec 31 to purchase ammo before the NEW law takes effect requiring registration / background checks to buy ammo in 2018

steveno

the last couple of times I bought ammo at Cabela's they asked for my birth date but never verified it by looking at my drivers license. I also think there is a way around it at the register because a couple of other times in the same time frame the clerk never asked.

Considering that the clerk hand you a paper explaining the alleged new law, it would have been informative to read the paper, and then we could discuss whether or not the information behind Wal-Mart's policy is correct. Since the clerk gave you an explanation that you didn't read, what is there to discuss?

carguychris

^^^^ Excellent point AB. :)

Additionally, until the OP reveals the state where he or she is located, IMHO commentary on various state laws and/or buying experiences in other stores is immaterial. I've already answered the OP's question with regards to federal law.

15plus1

Since the clerk gave you an explanation that you didn't read

Definitely got me there, though it looked more like an internal memo than anything from a government body.

I was not overly concerned at the time, as I am accustomed to be asked for ID and had no issue presenting it.

Just seemed strange after having a day or two to process the conversation, given that I had heard nothing of new regulations concerning ammo sales.

what is there to discuss?

I was curious as to whether or not there was any new regulations regarding proof of age than were already supposedly being enforced, or if this was more likely to be one store's attempt to put their staff on notice for being lax on IDing customers.

State is Ohio, sorry, though it was in my description

Last edited:

rickyrick

Clerks will say anything to get the encounter to end quickly and easily.

Most likely the clerk or manager has been razzed several hundred times by the "it's Mah Right!" Crowd.

The easiest way to get people over it is to claim "Federal Law" or "OSHA" says so. No one is going to check in many cases.

It's human nature.

Clerks get harassed constantly by customers, they learn techniques as a human defense mechanism.
Gun people are the worst for bullying clerks.

I am disappointed that some of you assume clerks aren't smart enough to comprehend. Walmart could be their second job, retired or disabled; could even be a student of higher learning.
The clerk is most likely just following directions, repeating what they were told.

Have a heart, be an ambassador for gun owners. Walmart clerks make up millions, most of them are smart and good people. Most of them are our families, some are forum members.

mr bolo

next time take a photo of the memo

I always use my smart phone to take a photo of important papers / info

then you can have a copy when you get home for your records

15plus1

Clerks will say anything to get the encounter to end quickly and easily.

Most likely the clerk or manager has been razzed several hundred times by the "it's Mah Right!" Crowd.

Being in customer service, I get it. "I'm sorry, it's policy" is a standby line.

Again, just thought it was strange that he stated that it was a "new" law when I was agreeing with him that he was within his rights to ID me.

Anyways, it seems my question has been answered. I was unsure if there was something new that I had not heard of (though I was not aware of the California regulation).

Thanks folks

FITASC

Wally World clerk takes one look at me and realizes I am older than he is (and he's retired) and never asks a thing.............Sometimes it's easier when you're an old fart!:D:p;):eek:

FITASC said:
Wally World clerk takes one look at me and realizes I am older than he is (and he's retired) and never asks a thing....
It's the same for me. But the register still goes "Ding" when he/she gets to the point where he/she has to verify age, and he/she still has to push that key before the transaction can proceed.

jmr40

When items ring up that are age restricted the cash register prompts the clerk to verify your age before the register will let them continue. There has been a law for years that you must be 21 to purchase handgun ammo and 18 to purchase long gun ammo. It comes down to the individual clerk and management. Some places just look at you and if it is obvious that you are legal they press the button saying they have verified you age. If you're borderline looking they will ask for ID. The management in some stores insist they actually look at ID for everyone even if it is clear you are old enough.

It isn't just ammo, but alcohol, paint, certain chemicals and medicines, even certain types of batteries which are used to make meth.

dakota.potts

You wouldn't believe all the new laws that apparently get passed without anybody else's knowledge :rolleyes:

Heard it all the time as a sales person at a big box retail store. New laws about ammo and assault weapons bans and registration and everything else that was suddenly passed in the dark of night.

I wouldn't pay it too much mind.

Snyper

The register prompts them to check your ID, and they are typically being videotaped the entire time.

Just do like they ask, and don't ask them lots of pointless questions that will only prolong the process.

ballardw

I used to get the question "is this for a rifle or pistol" at Walmart when buying ammo. They got terribly confused when I said "since I'm over 21 it doesn't matter" (as in Viet Nam era veteran old). Then the local store quit allowing any sales except at the sporting goods register. Apparently, at least at my local store, they get a little bit more information so haven't had the rifle/pistol question for awhile.