New Dog Walking Gun

shurshot

I had a 638 with the safety... no reliability issues either, even with +P loads (although they are NOT fun to shoot!). Family member has it now. For a snubby, pretty decent groups at close range.
I think you have a great walking gun, lightweight and powerful.

stagpanther

Getting on fall, yotes will often "shadow track" me when I'm out walking my dogs in the woods. Also neighbors generally let their big aggressive dogs run free (even though it's against the law) which are actually a bigger threat than the yotes. My last dogs were terriers and I carried a lcp which I thought was perfect, actually pulled it once on a couple of Rhodesian Ridgebacks that were in attack mode and fortunately for them they aborted at the last second when I yelled at the top of my lungs "stop!" My latest dog is a Belgian Malinois, I don't worry about anything attacking and don't carry anymore for local walks.

About 20 years ago I bought an Model 042 -- a short-run, non-cataloged Centennial Airweight. It's been my primary carry gun ever since.

About 5 years ago I bought a Model 38 humpback. It has a problem with the underlug latch that I've not got sorted out yet.

Always loved the humpbacks -- Rico Tubbs carried two of them on Miami Vice.

Butzbach

I'm not really a revolver guy so I really don't have a dog in this fight but that FUGLY lock is just one more mechanical failure that hasn't happened yet.
May I ask where you bought that speed loader? I have a Ruger LCR that is my bicycle riding gun. I sweat like a dog, (apologies to the OPs los peros amigos) when I ride. I had to stop using some Star aluminum speed loaders as they became corroded. I have HKSs now but your rubber ones look lighter and smaller. Let me know.

Armybrat

I like my humpback made in 1997. Bought it from a Texas LEO who had used it as his backup.

Attachments

• 781C02AC-B1E5-4325-99E7-969D781E114E.jpeg
    781C02AC-B1E5-4325-99E7-969D781E114E.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 32

STORM2

There is a 480 (Ruger) at the shop. My dog just told me to buy it, that will be my story and I’m sticking to it.

absolute0

I love the idea of the lightweight 38 pocket revolver and even had a 642 for a time but I just can't shoot a J frame worth a damn. Colt Detective Special and Smith K frame I'm good but the J frame is a problem. I have large but not gigantic hands.

Any tips from the crowd?

Ed4032

There is a 480 (Ruger) at the shop. My dog just told me to buy it, that will be my story and I’m sticking to it.
My dog tells me lots of stuff but because of the lack of an opposable thumb makes poor gun choices. But that’s a great one too.

STORM2

The dog did not tell me feeding the 480 is gonna be tough. Ammo, new or used brass is tough. I’ve got 99 rounds for now. I’ll get by.