New Dog Walking Gun

mk70ss

Just traded for this NIB S&W 638 .38 Special. We have some very bold coyotes here on our ranch, and early in the morning or late evening when I walk my pugs, they are nearby. I was using a Makarov as my dog walking gun, but it sits a little heavy in the pocket.

Just traded for this NIB S&W 638 .38 Special. We have some very bold coyotes here on our ranch, and early in the morning or late evening when I walk my pugs, they are nearby. I was using a Makarov as my dog walking gun, but it sits a little heavy in the pocket.

Congrats! Not to mention they are Fun to shoot. Easy carry revolver for sure.

Sarge

I have a friend with an older 638 and it's dead on at 15 yards with 158s. They're great little 38s.

Yep ... The HH pretty much fuglies-up an otherwise nice snubby.

Hopefully the dog is better looking.
To the OP, do not listen to the nonsense about the safety on the gun. It is a great little gun, nice looking, nice carry piece, Period. If they do not like it, they are free to choose something else. Not relevant to your liking the gun which thousands of us do.
Just ignore their post. They can start a new thread if it bothers them so much.
Again Congrats on a fine gun.

By the way, A lot of different grips for the 642, but I ended up like the stock grip the best after trying out some others. I just put some grip tape on it. And I have a large had. There are some cool looking grips out there though.

Last edited:

mk70ss

Quote “By the way, A lot of different grips for the 642, but I ended up like the stock grip the best after trying out some others. I just put some grip tape on it. And I have a large had. There are some cool looking grips out there though.”

I already ordered a set of these.

Order summary
Pachmayr 03254 Compact Grip S&W J Frame Round Butt Black Rubber

Moonglum

To the OP, do not listen to the nonsense about the safety on the gun. It is a great little gun, nice looking, nice carry piece, Period. If they do not like it, they are free to choose something else. Not relevant to your liking the gun which thousands of us do.
Just ignore their post. They can start a new thread if it bothers them so much.
Again Congrats on a fine gun.

By the way, A lot of different grips for the 642, but I ended up like the stock grip the best after trying out some others. I just put some grip tape on it. And I have a large had. There are some cool looking grips out there though.

PS here is a speed loader I really like.

GID64PB.jpg
I'm not really a revolver guy so I really don't have a dog in this fight but that FUGLY lock is just one more mechanical failure that hasn't happened yet.

101combatvet

I see what you did there. ;)
Just can't say anything negative about the Clintons with their supporters lurking on the gun forums. S&W should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to manufacture an unnecessary safety that will someday fail and bite them in the butt.

Good choice.

About 20 years ago I picked up a Smith & Wesson 042, an uncataloged short-run version of the Centennial hammerless.

It's been my primary CCW since then, including for dog walking.

shoebox1.1

Easy on the HH bashing. You might end up like 4 DC cops! All jokes aside. I want one too. Charter UC is my main carry. I’d like to move it to Mrs. shoe and get one of these for me! About 500.00 smacks around here NIB

rgillis

What's not to love about a new J-frame. I have three, M&P 340, Model 49, and a Model 37. I have to agree, they are a great option for walking the dog ;)

I'd even go so far as to say two of my K-frames work well!
Model 12 airweight and my Model 19 2.5".

hootey

Congratulations on getting a nice new pistol! Local Academy has two of them in the display case. ONE for $459 and the other is $479, they look identical but, they have different sku#s. Both are 38spl +Ps SS five shot model w/same grip. Go figure that one out. Congrats again!

smee78

Congrats on the new 638, they are excellent carry guns and should provide many years of service. I love my NL version.

jstert

the zeta six speedloaders pictured above work well and come cheaper than any other brand. if you can find wadcutter ammo try it, softer shooting for more accurate followon shots and cuts neat holes in targets.

Hawg

I put a set of Pachmayr Grippers on my wife's 637 because the stock grips were too small and thin and hurt her hand.

p32LXgVl.jpg