New CHL!

idnative1948

Congrats smokehouse! Decisions made when we were younger could always walk up and bite us down the road as you have mentioned. Good to see you have put them behind you and have been able to move on, being wiser.

orionengnr

First of, congrats on your TX CHL, from a North TX neighbor.
Now go join up on the Texas CHL forum.

My Kahr PM9 has been a favorite for eight or nine years now. If I trusted the .380 cartridge, I would have kept one of the two LCPs I have owned. Perhaps I'll change my mind one day.

As far as the scrubs go, have a look at the Smart Carry. It is a neat idea (within certain limitations, foremost of which is keeping it clean, as it is essentially a piece of underwear).

It is, however, perfect for scrubs/sweats/any loose or light pants, as it is not dependent upon the pants or belt for support. I have two of them, and only use them occasionally, but it is a great example of "out-of-the-box" thinking.

Dragline45

For Scrubs you will want the lightest possible combination of gun and holster available. I would look into a Ruger LCP with a Techna Clip. Not only is the LCP a very small and light gun, but the Techna clip will allow you to clip the gun inside your pants without a holster.

p_100009139_1.jpg

9mmfan

JohnKSa said:
If you get out of the car (say to run into a convenience store) and leave them sitting in the passenger seat, that might be seen as illegal unless they have a CHL. The argument could be made that the car is not their car nor is it under their control.

Now that is something I had not considered, and quite the sticky wicket. Has potential to be, at any rate. My missus has discussed obtaining her CHL, but has not yet done so. I don't generally leave a gun in the car, bit will keep this in mind in the future.

Seems like I could also use a bit of a refresher on more specific points of law, as I might have gotten a tad rusty in my interpretation.

Thank you for the clarification.

smokehouse4444

At this point, I have for the most part put together my cc packages. I have a Sticky for the Kahr CM9, as well as an Uncle Mike's Sidekick w/o strap that I use if I feel a clip is needed. I have a Sticky for the SIG P245 (eventually I plan on getting a good hybrid belt holster as well. I have a Stays-Put for the Colt Mustang Pocketlite. I received my fanny pack in the mail and it is fantastic! I'll post later with some pics of that.

I thought I would take the obligatory photos with watch and knife of my carry firearms. My wife got a snickering kick out of taking them! :rolleyes:

My everyday carry.

When I want a little bit more "oomph".

A more "elegant" affair.

jimbob86

First, Congratulations!

Second, "With Rights come Responsibilities"- you have a gun, so you reperesent gun people. You'll do us proud, I'm sure.

I try try carry as much as possible, to make it as usual as picking up my keys and wallet.

That's the ticket: Make it habit, so that not having it when you usually do makes you as uncomfortable as leaving your wallet, keys, phone or pocket knife ...... EDC means, after all, Every Day Carry...... conversely, getting into the routine of disarming before you must go into "No Gun" zones (Hospital, etc.) will keep you from forgetting you have it on .....

JimDandy

The argument could be made that the car is not their car nor is it under their control

I'd love to see a prosecutor try and make that argument. At least against someone else. You see, ladies and gentleman of the jury, the gun was in the defendant's possession because they were alone in the car with the handgun they didn't know was there. They were not, however in control of the car they were alone in.

smokehouse4444

I thought I would share some pics of the fanny (waist) pack that I purchased. I am extremely happy with it. It is by far the most "normal" looking pack that I found out of all of my searching. It is a Bagmaster Medium in Hunter Green I believe. I purchased the bigger one so it would possibly fit my SIG P245. The primary reason I bought it was to wear with scrubs, but I could also wear it while motorcycling, and most definitelywhile hiking.

You can tell that something is there if someone is really paying attention, but I'm not that concerned about that.

My wife and I added the "Caduceus" medical symbol, and I think it blends right in with the scrubs.

Sorry for the blurry pics, but I am trying to show that the only two pockets you can see easily carry my CC\ID holder from my wallet, my keys, my phone, and an extra mag if I want. My wife was initially confused as to where the gun would go.

What looks like just a part of the pack is actually a pull tab (on either side). It turns out that the medium fits the SIG P245 perfectly. The Kahr CM9 has a LOT of wiggle room, but stays snug nonetheless. If I were only buying for the Kahr, I would have gone with the small.

It has a good, wide waist band, and the buckle is towards one side which is preferred. I am very happy with this pack.

smokehouse4444

As an aside for my scrubs, I also purchased a cheap Ace Case IWB holster that works very well. I just have to make sure that I fully tie the scrub ties so it won't slip. The Kahr CM9 easily disappears with this setup.

If I have the Kahr in the pack, I have the extra round mag in. I just switch it out to the flush if I am carrying IWB.

Doyle

Smokehouse, I don't know if you saw my post earlier but please look into Smartcarry. It works perfectly for scrubs and nobody will ever know you are carrying.

smokehouse4444

I did indeed see your post, and I looked at the Smartcarry, as well as some Bellybands, and the Tuff Cellphone/Holster. The Smartcarry definitely has my interest, and if I have the opportunity to try one on, I might just go for it. I am in Texas though, and I wonder if it would just be too hot. I look forward to trying one, and appreciate the suggestion!

Doyle

As to being hot, the thing about Smartcarry as opposed to the other similar holsters is that the material it is made from is very breathable. That definately helps.

Marty8613

Ace Case

I bought an Ace Case out at Canton for $15. My 1st leather holster and fits our DB9 up to my Firestorm 40. Handy little holster. Well designed for your purpose and ambi to boot. It deals with light guns without a belt really well. My wife will be lab coated at the Pharmacy and I bought this as one option for her.

I have had to deal with corrosion due to sweat since it does little protect the guns from me. Apparently I have highly corrosive sweat that begins working in hours.

Nice stuff you have there. We opted to not use Kahr for CCW since you absolutely cannot slingshot to reload a Kahr once the slide is open.

smokehouse4444

Yes, my little Ace Case was $15 bucks and I it works very well. It is the type that I could tuck in the shirt if I want. I just wouldn't trust my Sticky with the scrubs. Kahr can be interesting. Some people have problems with them, some don't. I had a CW9 for my wife that had some initial problems, but I put about 500 rounds through it and it was like butter from then on. I eventually traded it in for the CM9...which that thing has never once had a malfunction. Not one time from the moment I pulled it out of the box. My wife could never work the slide if she had too, though.

Marty8613

The DB9 is the smallest we found that my wife could rack well. Basically a baby Glock. She chose this 9mm after attempting to rack 100s of .380s well. The Kahr CM9 almost made the cut, but the no slingshot issue killed it.

The only gun I have found smaller/thinner than the DB9 is the DB380, and I will grab up the DouTone the instant I find one. I need a pocket gun.

That DB9 was pretty darned accurate out to 25'. Only 1 shot out of 50 outside the 8" target - rapid fire.

smokehouse4444

Why do you call it a Baby Glock? I can't stand the way Glock's feel in my hand, but I've held a DB and it felt pretty damn good. I had thought about a DB in a 9 years ago, and maybe I should revisit it or a 380. DB's didn't have all that great of a reputation when I was looking. I'll check them out for sure.

smokehouse4444

Some of the previous pics were kinda hard to see, so I thought I would post a few that could be seen better.

The two main pockets of the Bagmaster.

The hidden pocket.