New CHL!

smokehouse4444

Well.......FINALLY!!! My wife received her CHL five years ago. I was going to do it with her, but my checkered past reached up and bit me. Kind of a meaner, wilder, Dukes Of Hazzard, wild eyed Southern Boy I guess you could say. Patience and a bit of a change of lifestyle has finally been rewarded with my CHL. It is a big deal to me, and makes me feel proud of the accomplishment.

I don't want to have one just to have it, though. I want to actually carry as much as I can, so I would enjoy any advice that you well-versed concealers can offer. I'll give you guys the specifics, and what I am looking for.

I am a medical professional so I spend a large amount of time in scrubs. I live in a hot climate, so cargo type shorts would be the next prevalent clothing I wear. When I wear jeans, most often they are Carpenter jeans, and on the occasions I wear boots, I would then have tighter Wranglers on.

My three primary carry handguns will be a SIG P245, a Kahr CM9, and a Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380. The Kahr will probably be the main one and if I am wearing jeans/shorts with looser pockets, I will probably use a pocket holster. If scrubs or the tighter jeans, I will need an IWB holster. My plan is to have an IWB for the P245, as well as a possible small pack type. The Colt will be pretty much for pocket use when as small as possible is important.

The Milt Sparks Summer Special seems nice as an IWB. The DeSantis Ammo Nemesis or Super Fly seem like nice pocket holsters. I have never tried a kydex type. First thought was that I would probably wear an IWB at the appendix area, but now thinking more about the 4 oclock.

Anyway, those are the specifics. Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated. If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize...feel free to move it.

Thanks

Spats McGee

Administrator
First of all, congratulations!

Obviously, scrubs will be problematic, as I don't quite know where you'd put the gun. You'll want to: (a) check state law on whether you can carry at hospitals (assuming you work at one; you could also work at a clinic, though . . . ); (b) check your employee handbook for restrictions on firearms possession on the employer's grounds; and (c) look for postings at the entrances to see if weapons are prohibited. Should you find that you can carry in the car, but not in the building, you'll want to purchase a small safe for securing the firearm in the car.

Cheapshooter

For pocket carry I have found nothing better than the DeSantis Nemesis. I also have the Superfly, my first DeSantis pocket holster, I found I never use the "fly" because I did not like back pocket Carrefour my LCP.
As for IWB, I am very happy with the Theis Hybrid. I have one for my CM9, and XD40 Sub. I've found 4 O'Clock the most comfortable, and convenient position with good access.
Not sure about hot weather comfort, but I think a belly band type holster might be the best answer to carrying in shrubs.

smokehouse4444

I absolutely cannot carry in the hospital. I would have to leave it in the truck (there is a truck gun in there anyway). Most of us just wear scrubs to the hospital, so after work there may be stops along the way...shopping, picking up dinner etc... I was thinking a discrete and slim pack would be good for scrubs as well as the tighter jeans whenever I wear them.

I have a couple of little pocket holsters, but I was thinking of getting the Ammo Nemesis for the Kahr, which would allow me to carry a spare magazine as well if I wanted.

smokehouse4444

Really, any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Also, any thoughts on the cocked and locked Mustang in a pocket holster. It doesn't make me feel too uncomfortable, but there is always that thought.

bikerbill

Congrats on the plastic from a 30-miles-away neighbor!

I've had mine for about 10 years. At the time, I bought a Kahr PM9 and it's still my EDC. It's an excellent piece, I've never had an issue with it. I'm not a medical professional (tho I wouldn't mind playing one on TV). I'm retired, which means that most of the year I'm in cargo shorts and a light t-shirt. I always pocket carry under those circumstances, and normally use a Nemesis. I can't comfortably pocket carry in jeans, so when it's cold(er) and I can wear a cover garment, I switch to an XDs45 or Kimber UCII in a belt holster. I prefer holster carry -- and a .45 over a 9mm -- but for a variety of reasons I don't like it when it's hot.

Good luck ...

TailGator

My wife's EDC is a Sig P238, quite similar to your Mustang. She carries IWB or pocket with a Remora. The safety clicks on and off so decisively that we don't worry about it. If it starts to get soft we will reconsider, but it is not an issue at all.

Sevens

Really, any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
I believe that a dedicated "car gun" or in your case, a dedicated "truck gun" is a very bad idea. While it can be somewhat unkind to the firearm, it is easy to purchase a handgun specifically for that role where it's ability to avoid rust/corrosive is not any manner of an issue.

However, that's not why I don't like it. That handgun left in the car is a necessary evil for those of us who wish to go armed as often as possible but still have lives (typically, employment) that prevent it. It's bad enough the handgun is left to be stolen that often on a regular basis, but it's a trade-off.

If it is left all the time, as a dedicated car gun ends up being, the risk is even higher. For me, it's far less about the loss of a needed/wanted handgun, but much more about being loose enough that I might have prevented yet another handgun ending up in hands where it might (will) be used to do evil.

Another extremely important and all too often forgotten angle is the legal situation you end up putting someone in when the occasion arrives that they end up in your vehicle and you are not there also. This obviously varies from state to state, so some can write this off I would imagine. But here where I live, if a friend or loved one has occasion to get in my car and I'm not there, they could be charged with a very serious crime if they don't also have a license to carry. Could be as simple as running in to a store and leaving them in the vehicle, or could be far more complex such as me ending up elsewhere unplanned and them having to take my car somewhere/anywhere. Being in the medical profession... think car accident of some nature or medical event. This is not a stretch.

psyfly

For cargo shorts and jeans, I don't think you have a problem. Pretty much any good pocket holster for the two smaller guns would work fine.

If you wear Polo shirts or anything untucked, a good OWB leather holster will work fine for the same.

Scrubs present a problem! You need something with a sturdy belt that is easy-on and easy-off as you are going to have to leave the CCW in the truck/car while at work.

Having someone else in the car without you is not a problem in TX. He/she is as legal with your gun in the vehicle as you are. (With possible exception of a prohibited person).

There are a lot of good solutions for securing the gun in the vehicle in your absence, with a bolt-on safe arrangement probably being the most secure.

Don't see how you can as easily carry the Sig with scrubs, but I don't have one of those, so...

FWIW, since TX passed the parking-lot law, there are a lot ot cars/trucks in any given parking lot that probably contain one or more guns. If yours is secured in a lock-box/safe arrangement, I think that it will be barely less secure than at home without you.

Best,

Will

Sevens

Having someone else in the car without you is not a problem in TX. He/she is as legal with your gun in the vehicle as you are.
Please clarify if they are still legal in your car with your loaded handgun... if they are the only one in the car? In most places, certainly where I live, this is constructive possession of a loaded, concealed handgun. If my buddy picks my car up for me for any reason and I'm not there, he better have a carry license or he's risking a felony.

smokehouse4444

Thanks folks for the thoughts and suggestions. I do not think that there is any problem with a handgun in a vehicle and someone else is sitting in it by themselves. I think in Texas it is considered as if someone were sitting in your house without you there and a handgun is present, but I appreciate the thoughts, and I will certainly verify this information to make absolutely sure. There has been carry in your car here for so long it's just not thought about that much I suppose.

I purchased another pocket holster that is somewhat similar to a Remora pocket holster. I can stick it on my side and it stays...but I'm not sure I would trust it. It is a little bit smaller than the primary pocket holster that I have, so I bought it primarily for the Mustang. The cargo shorts and carpenter jeans are no problem at all; the Kahr CM9 and Mustang disappear easy whether in a pocket holster or an Uncle Mikes IWB. The scrubs definitely present a problem. I can wear them in a cross draw and you can't tell, but really have to watch out for that shirt to lift too high. I already wear a XXL. The XXXL is meant for a little more rotund in the middle kinda guys, and is monstrous on me. I just have to make sure as well to really secure the tie in a proper shoelace tie instead of the loose way that most people wear them.

The SIG P245 I am going to work with a little while. I prefer a cross draw, but am willing to wear in the 4 oclock SS as well. I have a cheap IWB nylon holster that I can change around and wear either way to see which works better. Regardless, it won't work with scrubs...just too heavy.

old bear

Patience and a bit of a change of lifestyle has finally been rewarded with my CHL. It is a big deal to me, and makes me feel proud of the accomplishment.

Smokehouse, GOOD for you. Keep up the great work:)

NavyVet1959

Scrubs are probably the biggest issue. They don't have a substantial waistband or a belt to hang a proper holster onto. Your only choice with that is some sort of fanny pack or such. If your scrubs have no place for a wallet or cell phone, a fanny pack solves that problem also. Here in Texas, if we see someone carrying a fanny pack (especially a black leather one), we automatically assume that they are carrying a weapon. I was visiting some friends in northern CA a few months back and noticed that a lot of people carry fanny packs, but of course they are not CCWing. I've found that a non-CCW fanny pack (in some other color than black) is better in that it does not just broadcast "I'm carrying a weapon". Although I prefer to carry OWB with a concealment vest or shirt, I will carry in a fanny pack for certain situations (e.g. when riding one of my motorcycles or if the weather is too hot for a cover garment).

smokehouse4444

Old Bear, why...thank you kind sir, very much appreciated!

I also just spoke to a concealed handgun person who said that as long as the person in the vehicle is a Texas resident, it is fine if there is a handgun concealed in the vehicle. Any Texas resident can have a firearm concealed in the vehicle, whether it is their vehicle or not. If they are an out of state visitor in your vehicle, it might become more of a gray area.

NavyVet...I have been looking at some fanny packs and have thought that might be the way to go. Scrubs generally have one back pocket for a wallet and that is it. I'm wading through all of the choices to see if I can come up with something that doesn't look tooooo dorky, and doesn't scream that I am carrying. Like I said though, I am fairly surprised that the Kahr hides well just as long as I tie it tight. The shirt length is more of an issue.

9mmfan

Sevens said:
Please clarify if they are still legal in your car with your loaded handgun... if they are the only one in the car? In most places, certainly where I live, this is constructive possession of a loaded, concealed handgun. If my buddy picks my car up for me for any reason and I'm not there, he better have a carry license or he's risking a felony.

Yes, in Texas one may possess a handgun in a car they own or one that is under their control. As long as they are not a prohibited person, committing a crime (other than standard moving violations) or a member of a criminal street gang(!). The handgun must be concealed. Texas law makes no distinction between a loaded or unloaded gun. We used to have a "traveling" exemption under the UCW chapter of the Penal Code, but traveling was never defined. That went away when the so-called Motorist Protection Act was passed a few years back.

Long guns are a different animal entirely, and may be openly carried as long as it is not done in a manner calculated to alarm or somesuch.

However, if one does not hold a valid Texas CHL the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act still applies.

Edited to add: looks like somebody was typing at the same time I was, only faster.

smokehouse4444

Well...I've been able to carry this week and I found out some things. First thing; wiith the scrubs, the fanny pack is definitely the solution. I was thinking that I might just use a regular waist pack and modify it a bit, then I saw a video by Nutnfancy on Youtube and there he was discussing that exact topic. I noticed that people don't seem to pay that much attention with this set-up because it just looks more natural to need one when in scrubs. I put my phone and keys in the front pocket...and the pack is virtually undetectable. I've just been using one that I've had for years to wear on occasion when biking, but I am on the look out for one that fits what I want and modify it.

Second thing; while wearing cargo shorts or carpenter jeans the little Kahr 9 works very well in a pocket holster. That is the easiest way to carry for me, just like picking up your wallet and keys. Going to buy a Desantis SuperFly instead of the cheaper one I have now.

Third thing; I do not like IWB 4 o'clock position. Very uncomfortable and the butt seems to stick out. I much prefer the cross-draw. I know, I know...lots of people don't like it, and I get the reasons why, but it works for me better. With particular Martial Arts responses, it tends to bring the gun up the line of an attacker anyway for me. I am looking at the Crossbreed holster...like a Super Tuck or something for a good quality holster that can handle the size and weight of my SIG P245. I also have been given a name of a guy that makes some excellent holsters for a good price, so I might have him build me one.

Last edited:

smokehouse4444

Just thought I would share some updates. Maybe someone will find them useful, and as usual, I appreciate any helpful thoughts from those more experienced.

I must admit it still has a strange feel to it to walk around carrying a firearm...legally. I try try carry as much as possible, to make it as usual as picking up my keys and wallet.

I have several different holsters that I have tried, but I thought I would try a couple of new ones that would also allow me to experiment quite a bit with location. I bought two Sticky holsters; one for my Kahr CM9 and one for my SIG P245, and I bought a Stays-Put for my Colt Mustang Pocketlite. I was interested in how these holsters worked anyway.

First of all, both brands have performed exactly as advertised. I could not be happier with them. The Sticky for my Kahr works equally well as an IWB at any position or as a pocket holster. I bought the version that is made more for cargo pants. As I suspected, the Kahr just disappeared when in my preferred crossdraw position, and sticks like glue. So I have to admit I was a bit surprised when the Sticky for the SIG helped it to disappear almost as easily. I walked in and asked my wife to tell me where it was as I turned around...and she thought I was trying to trick her. She was surprised to see that I actually had the bigger handgun tucked in.

The Stays-Put is every bit as good as the Sticky. It is meant as a pocket holster, but doesn't move any when wearing it IWB. I really doubt I will ever wear the Colt IWB instead of in the pocket, but you never know, and the option is there. I believe the Stays-Put would work as well as the Sticky for my Kahr, and they cost a little less as well. Fantastic products.

With scrubs, the fanny pack is the best option without a doubt. For what it's worth, I wear the pack underneath the top anyway, so it is barely noticeable, if at all. Also, if I am paying for something, or answer my phone, it looks a little more "normal" since I am wearing scrubs with few pockets. I tried to go the route of just using a regular pack, but it bothers me that it doesn't unzip well or quickly to access the handgun. So I have decided to buy a Bagmaster Ambidextrous Fanny Pack in Medium. It is a Hunter Green color, has two large zipper pockets that can be seen to easily carry my phone, keys, and ID/Credit card holder, etc... Then it has a velcro/button set up that you pull a tab that just looks like it is part of the pack to access the handgun. I have also bought a Caduceus Patch that I will have my wife sew on the front to complete the "medical" feel, and make it even less conspicuous. I will wear the pack only when I am in my scrubs (which is pretty much anytime during the week), or when I am hiking with a back pack.

By the way, my buddy just gave me a Zombie Apocolypse Vest...man...I'll be ready with that thing on!

JohnKSa

Administrator
Having someone else in the car without you is not a problem in TX. He/she is as legal with your gun in the vehicle as you are. (With possible exception of a prohibited person).
That's true as long as you're in the car with them.
Yes, in Texas one may possess a handgun in a car they own or one that is under their control.
If you get out of the car (say to run into a convenience store) and leave them sitting in the passenger seat, that might be seen as illegal unless they have a CHL. The argument could be made that the car is not their car nor is it under their control.
We used to have a "traveling" exemption under the UCW chapter of the Penal Code, but traveling was never defined. That went away when the so-called Motorist Protection Act was passed a few years back.
The traveling exemption is still there and can be used as a defense if the other laws don't apply.