Votes: 27 87.1%
  • I am open guns with new cartridges that are just getting started

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

natman

9mm Federal- expensive ammo for a 9mm revolver

9mm Winchester Magnum- same

ANY WSSM cartridge- lots of hype, then they pulled the rifles from the market.

The 9mm Federal was doomed when they discovered that it would fit and fire in old 38 S&W revolvers, despite being loaded to dangerously higher pressures. That and the fact that virtually the same revolver was already available in 357.

I've always believed that the 9mm Magnum would have been a hit if it had been chambered in a factory M1 Carbine. The stuff that dreams are made of.

The WSSM cartridges had a lot of potential. I was sorely tempted by the thought of a short, light deer rifle in 25 WSSM. The cartridges were introduced in 2004, but were doomed by Winchester USRAC going out of business in January 2006.

74A95

Interesting interpretation.

I shoot with about 10 folks. A few years ago one of them came to town and we were sharing our new "toys". We both had 22 TCM 1911 double stacks.

2 of 11 would be pretty fair market penetration for many products...

I'd missed this earlier. Even I have a top end conversion for the 22 TCM.

44 AMP

Staff
45 Winchester Magnum- faded as fast as the LAR Grizzly

I have 3 .45 Win Mags, a Wildey, an LAR Grizzly and a T/C barrel.

Admittedly I haven't looked for any ammo for them in years, I have a stash of several hundred rounds and about an equal amount of brass. Last time I looked, you could get brass from Starline (but that was pre-panicdemic)

FWIW, the LAR Grizzly didn't "fade" it was canceled by the parent company in order to focus on other things (their .50 rifle, for one).

Scorch

2 of 11 would be pretty fair market penetration for many products
Biased sample. In the past 10 years I have worked on roughly 30,000 firearms (about half handguns) and have only seen 2 22TCM 1911s. That makes market penetration about 2/30,000, poor market penetration IMO. But neither are unbiased samples.

Scorch said:
Biased sample. In the past 10 years I have worked on roughly 30,000 firearms (about half handguns) and have only seen 2 22TCM 1911s. That makes market penetration about 2/30,000, poor market penetration IMO. But neither are unbiased samples.
The devil's advocate rebuttal might be that the .22 TCM pistols from Rock Island are so good from the factory that they have no need to be worked on.
evil.gif
AR15firing.gif

eflyguy

I've never needed any firearm I've owned to be "worked on", so that means (by my sample) every sample of everything I own is 100% reliable?

Abraham Lincoln once said 80% of statistics on the interwebs were made up.. or something like that.

shafter

I'd rather have something popular because that's what the factories are going to be churning out. In the best of times they may only make one production run of the less popular calibers so they probably wouldn't even bother at all during a time of really high demand.

Never hurts to have variety though because you never know what might turn up on the shelves.

44 AMP

Staff
I'd rather have something popular because that's what the factories are going to be churning out.

of course, there is wisdom in this, but there is also another side of the coin, and that is, the most popular rounds are in greatest demand and you are competing with a LOT of other buyers.

Not too long ago people were complaining about how there was no 9mm or .45 on the shelves, only .40S&W....

Reason? fewer people were buying .40 S&W so there was still unsold ammo.

Choosing a less popular, less common round has some advantages, IF you are smart enough to take advantage of them, BEFORE the stocks run out.

Yes, the less popular stuff is going to be the last thing on the maker's list as they try to keep up with demand, but that also means its likely the last thing left available on the shelves with the more popular stuff has all been snapped up.

Sevens

^^^totally true, but expand on it a bit also…

-WHEN- they produce ammo to respond to the monstrous demand, the stuff that WAS still on the shelf and was down the list of demand is also far down the list to re-stock and resupply.

If you feel like a victim to a volatile market, I get that, I understand. Your best bet is to diversify. You can improve your chances of finding ammo on the shelf if you are looking at all the shelves as potential options.

Rob228

Since the pandemic hit I've bought a few new calibers:
.45 Colt
6.5 creedmoor.

The only ammo I have trouble finding is the .45 Colt.

TRX

> .45 Colt

It came out in 1872, and people have been predicting its demise since, oh, probably 1900... I expect some will be on the shelves again soon enough.

Skans

I still consider the 5.7 a relatively new cartridge. I would only consider getting one as a SD/carry pistol. With the cost of ammo, and the likelihood that 5.7 could be hard to find, I would not be stockpiling a bunch of 5.7 to practice with. Other than considering that, I stick with 9mm and 10mm for handguns.

Oh, I have plenty of other guns in different calibers. But, my carry guns are 3 different 9mm's and 1 40. I will occasionally shoot my 10mm - great for bowling pins.

SHR970

In my very biased opinion this is an answer to an unasked question. I live in a 10+1 state so what exactly does this gain for me? If you live in a free state what does this gain you?

They are squeezing / promoting a round count rather than a smaller hard hitting option in a smaller grip size for those who have samller hands... like most women.

Just my $.02 from a smaller than average male. And for the record I still love my SIG 239 in 9mm. Now shave the grip space for the smaller rounds and DO NOT put those stupid finger grooves into the grips and you would have a winner for one of the largest growth segments in the industry.

stagpanther

Like the 350 legend--I'm sure it will be another smash hit for Federal. :)rolleyes:) I think they should call the next one the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Last edited:

603Country

Reload for what you shoot. I haven’t bought a factory round of anything but 380ACP since about 1985. And now I load for 380, which I tried to avoid.

And another thing…with all the shortages we’ve had in ammo and reloading components over the last couple of decades, anybody that hasn’t laid in at least a minimum quantity of what they shoot isn’t that alert.

As for all these new calibers, for the most part they just duplicate existing calibers. The marketing hype makes them sound like the latest and greatest. They are late, but are they really great or greater?

rickyrick

Only two things, well, make that three things I wish I had bought.
A lever gun, probably in .45 colt or something like that.
A bolt gun in .308 because a have a fair amount of that ammunition.
And a shotgun a little nicer than my 500a

Shadow9mm

Only two things, well, make that three things I wish I had bought.
A lever gun, probably in .45 colt or something like that.
A bolt gun in .308 because a have a fair amount of that ammunition.
And a shotgun a little nicer than my 500a

Just got a lever gun in 44mag/spl. I considered the colt, but I felt the mag was more flexible ammo selection wise. 45colt lever guns have been reasonably available in my area. local shop has them between 820 to 850 depending on the model. pretty sure you could buy one and have it shipped to a local FFL. https://www.madisonoutdoors.net/price-list-crd2

Can't go wrong with a 30cal bolt gun.

you can't go wrong with a mossberg 500. Nice is subjective, but they are reliable and dependable and you don't have to worry about a little ding here or there. They are nice IMHO, just not fancy.