New Cartridge, 6mm MAX

Jim Watson

There was a brief fad for .243 loaded with a below maximum charge of slow burning powder which was thought to give better barrel life but still good high BC performance.
Sorry, I forget the nickname and numbers.

44 AMP

Staff
While I haven't done it and am not likely to these days, I've often felt that a .22-250, rebarreled to the fast twist and throated for the long heavy bullets used by long range AR shooters would leave the .223 in the dust with an extra 3-500fps velocity.

The older rounds were set up for what was possible and preferred at the time, varmint calibers were made to run varmint bullets. Modern "advances" can be adapted to them, but not many folks bother since they old timers still work very well.

taylorce1

44 AMP said:
While I haven't done it and am not likely to these days, I've often felt that a .22-250, rebarreled to the fast twist and throated for the long heavy bullets used by long range AR shooters would leave the .223 in the dust with an extra 3-500fps velocity.

That's called the .22 Creedmoor these days. Tons of load data, properly headstamped brass available, and only a matter of time until SAAMI standardize the cartridge.

44 AMP

Staff
Call me old fashioned but I'd still call it a .22-250, just one with a 1-9 or 1-7 (or whatever) twist instead of the common 1-14 or 1-12 twist.