New addition Ruger Security Six

Whirlwind06

I traded for this Ruger Security Six today. It's a 150 serial numbered square butt frame. Lock up and timing is great but somebody refinished it. I see some pitting on the barrel but nothing too bad. So not sure why they would duracoat it. But oh well nice shooter grade .357.

IMG_20150920_134844_zpshhoclezj.jpg

IMG_20150920_134850_zps2zofmmjt.jpg

9x18_Walther

It's a shame its been refinished, but that is a nice looking Security Six.

Pick them up now while you get a chance. The Security Sixes haven't garnished a lot of interest.

Just be careful. There are some .38 only Security Sixes out there made for police departments who didn't want officers carrying .357. Exact same gun except for the cylinder fluting.

9x18_Walther

Yep this one is a .357. I have a Speed Six snub with a factory bobbed hammer that's a .38. It's a nice carry gun.

The -Six line of revolvers are some amazing guns. They were pretty popular with LE agencies back in the day. I'm sure the round butt makes carrying a lot easier.

I also think the Security Six has a much better look than the GP100 these days and is built with a little more attention to fine detail.

Let this board best a testament to my prediction - but I'd buy everyone I could find. The Security Six is hard to find now and I imagine in a few years the demand is going to skyrocket.

CajunBass

This past local show had one NIB in 4" at $650 !

I'm not surprised. If I had one, new in the box...truly unfired since leaving the factory, I'd probably ask that much for it too. How many of them are there in that condition? Start high. You can always come down, but you can't go up.

They were/are good guns. Back in the day, I had two or three of them, can't remember which now. I know I had two, a Speed-Six with a 2 3/4" barrel, and a 4" stainless steel Security-Six, but I seem to remember a blue 4" Ssecurity-Six in there somewhere too. I traded/sold them off, lost the SS one to my ex when we split up and she claimed it as "her gun." Oh well, I had others.

When Ruger stopped making them, and bought out the GP-100, I stopped buying Ruger centerfire guns and haven't bought one to this day. I just never cared for the GP for some reason.

Now to the OP: That's a nice one you got there. Sort of a shame it's been refinished, but they were made to worked. Lord only knows what it may have looked like before. Now you don't have to worry about hurting the finish, although Rugers were always pretty tough in that department.

If you can find a T-grip for it, it will help those grips a lot. We used to joke when Ruger went into business he bought one tree to make grips from...and he was still using it. If I couldn't find a T-grip, I'd just get a set of Pach's for shooting.

Last edited:

krimmie

I bought my SS back in 82-83, it was stolen in 2007, then got it back in 2013. It was returned with some minor pitting near the muzzle, but overall in great shape. The original rounds in the gun when it was stolen was also returned to me....plus a bonus Haitian flag.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442836686.664792.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442836721.945883.jpg
Here it is today with the original wood grips.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442836789.408319.jpg

Tipper1

Ruger Security Six

I just purchased a Ruger Security Six 4" barrel SS
S/N: 154-475XX. I can't find what year it was manufactured. I would also like any information about it.
Thank You

b.thomas

I got lucky with a 1982 stainless w/6" barrel, .357 mag about 4-5 years ago..............tight action with hardly any turn line on the cylinder.
Great shooter too............:D

Whirlwind06

I finally got to the range last weekend, the duracoat created a tolerance stack that basicly make impossible to shoot DA. Once I got it home, I took a scraper to the back of the frame, the front and back of the cylinder. I also have left empty carriages in it and I dry fire it a few times a week.

Gus90

Thats a nice looking gun, it is a shame they refinished it. I have been looking for one of those in keeper condition for years. Too bad they are going up in price now.