New ACR Slam Fires .223 rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserSpot

I'm not concerned about Bushmaster.
You do have a good point, but it could already be too late. If this thread is suddenly locked, it would be safe to assume that the ATF is on the way. IXLR8, you may want to store that defective BCG at an undisclosed location until Bushmaster contacts you.

fishluv

so you suggest hiding the defective firearm from the ATF. LOL

I'll never tell even if you shove bamboo under my fingernails!

I suggest retaining a lawyer and cooperating fully if contacted by the ATF

srkavanagh6621

I personally think you will be ok! its a defective firearm that you are trying to get fixed the heat isnt on you! you asked for opinions to try and resolve your problem I dont see what the problem is! But getting a hold of bushmaster to resolve your problem might be your only option. Good luck!

IXLR8

I think it would be reckless to operate my ACR in a public forum like a range until the problem, if one exists has been identified.

I love Bushmaster rifles. I bought the best one I could find. This is in no way a bash on the ACR, or the company that made it. But if said nothing and someone else was injured, in a similar incident, then I would worry about the legal ramifications.

There is no way that it made it into production with a fault like this. There must be a simple, logical explanation. I look forward to a solution, because I would love to return to the range and squeeze off a few more tight groups.

With the 5.56 ammo it was shooting a nice 1 MOA group. I like 1 MOA groups!

Stay tuned. The explanation will be posted, and everyone can feel more secure about the proper operation of an excellent rifle.

ACR Enhanced IXLR8.jpg
My rifle.

Last edited:

Palmetto-Pride

Have you called Bushmaster or has your no response been from email? Also you may want to contact Bushmaster's parent company Remington.

Technosavant

I think the concern is that the ATF will consider your slamfiring firearm a full auto and nail you to the wall.

However, unless you plan to take your buddies to the range with it and keep it that way, I think you're fine. I'd probably pull the bolt carrier out of it for now just so nobody even thinks to try shooting it due to its unsafe nature.

And while they may not have contacted you back, as I said- most companies do very little contact via email. You do not say if you have picked up the phone and called them- if you haven't, you need to. I can't imagine that you'd not get a RMA (if not a shipping label sent to you) so you can return it for service.

tirod

It's apparent someone hasn't made the effort to call on the phone. Even spending an hour before work and 4-5 hours a day for seven days would result in some sort of contact. Sitting in wait for a response to an email isn't realistic.

If it was your daily driver new from the dealer, would you have emailed them? Not hardly. But it is important enough to bring to the world's attention that your rifle doubles or more with a certain ammo, and phoning the company isn't that important.

I suspect a selective sense of urgency here that has resulted in disparaging a maker more than substantiating responsible reaction to the situation.

So, why haven't you called yet? It's been a week.

IXLR8

Email Communications

There is not a company with any affluence that does not use email as the primary form of communications. With email your comments and the responses that you receive are recorded. There is a paper trail, and a record of all conversations. I work in the oil and gas industry, and receive an average of one phone call a week, however I respond to more than a hundred emails concerning very technical and very important subjects. Bushmaster posted both technical support and a customer service email addresses on their website. Every company I normally deal with, and there are many of them, respond to emails, in a matter of minutes or hours. Perhaps if the website said call us or your problem will not be solved, or email is not accepted, I would have called. Frankly I have had a busy week and did not have time to call. Conversations like this are not the type of information I care to discuss at work, on a phone.

It is reasonable to assume that email is perfectly acceptable form of communications, unless posted otherwise. I sent Bushmaster my s/n, name, address, and phone number. I submitted the information multiple times with my concerns. I offered to wait for a response. In the interest of public safety I posted my concerns in an informative way, with the best supporting information that I have available. My claims have merit, and should have been addressed privately. Bushmaster by omission chose not to do it, not me.

Bushmaster please contact me, all I want is a safely operating rifle. In the absence of communication, I am just trying to act in public safety.

IXLR8

I think the concern is that the ATF will consider your slamfiring firearm a full auto and nail you to the wall.

The ACR is a legally purchased and unmodified firearm. The ATF can inspect it whenever they want.

LaserSpot

The ACR is a legally purchased and unmodified firearm. The ATF can inspect it whenever they want.
Or, you could exercise your fifth amendment right against self-incrimination and refuse to tell them where the BCG is; only you have this right.

I wouldn't want to see this happen again:

At the request of the local ATF agent, the FTB tested the gun a second time using a brand of .223 ammunition known for having sensitive primers. Those tests resulted in intermittent, unregulated, automatic fire and jamming due to hammer-follow, but this time the FTB concluded that, under strict interpretation of the law, the gun’s malfunction did make it a machinegun.

http://www.firearmscoalition.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192

BTW, nice rifle. That scope may be considered cheating, what model is it?

There was info about a very unfortunate AR owner (in WI) who had loaned his rifle to a guy about to visit a range.
I've never had an AR and know almost nothing about them, but from what I remember reading about a year ago, the guy's rifle had a rare problem in the sear (?), and the rifle fired off multiple rounds as if it were a full-auto rifle.

Somebody called the ATF, and at the defendant's trial the ATF prevented a firearm's expert from testifying, which could have demonstrated that such malfunctions are possible, although rare.
The defendant claimed that he never altered the rifle, but was convicted and went to prison in MN. If any of this info is wrong, please correct it.

This also happened here to somebody's AR, and was described to me by a guy who saw the malfunction.

c_jackson

I don't know, men. I've owned a Bushmaster for ten years and have put over 15,000 rounds through it. I know the ACR, I test-fired it when it came out. I also know Hornady and other top-line round manufacturers (Springfield, Black Hills, Remington, Winchester and the like). I'm not calling anyone out on this one, but I don't think the problem lies with Bushmaster. I've stuck my butt on the line with my Snake many a time and, as old as my rifle is, it's never let me down. I think, before we lay blame, we might want to take a look at the story. Many of you top shooters know where I'm coming from. It could be a factory problem, but with that many rounds cycled without a problem, something here doesn't meet muster.

I"m not trying to say anything, I'm just sayin...

Last edited:

Warchild

Many of you top shooters know where I'm coming from. It could be a factory problem, but with that many rounds cycled without a problem, something here doesn't meet muster.
I"m not trying to say anything, I'm just sayin...

What is it exactly that you are saying or not saying? Why be so vague? If you got something on your mind, don't be scared, say it. Was there something about the OP's account that seemed fishy to you or something another poster said that doesn't add up and what experience do you possess that would lead you to the conclusion stated? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Powderman

Suggestion:

Make a photocopy of your sales receipt.

Send this AND a letter describing the problem to Bushmaster, certified mail, with return receipt requested. This will ensure that they get the letter. Heck, I'd even send it Express Mail.

KChen986

Wow, internet lore gets pretty far, doesn't it? Did you guys read the affidavits and indictments? In that case, the AR's selector switch would move to the 'burst' position, and the weapon would fire more than one round then. It was not a simple case of a person getting convicted due to a malfunction.

If you guys don't believe me, I'll try to dig up the .pdf of the files.

Regardless, OP, you should have called Bushmaster a lot earlier.

THORN74

so you suggest hiding the defective firearm from the ATF. LOL

I'll never tell even if you shove bamboo under my fingernails!

I suggest retaining a lawyer and cooperating fully if contacted by the ATF

yes this would be the proper thing to do. From the sound of it, the OP DID NOT modify the weapon in any way. it came from the factory in this condition. Therefore there would be nothing to fear from the BATF. if that is not the case and the OP did modify the weapon some how to induce these slamfires/autofire..... well then yes he has quite a bit to fear for the BATF

Technosavant

There is not a company with any affluence that does not use email as the primary form of communications.

Oh, for Pete's sake...

You've been told MULTIPLE TIMES to call them. You've been told that yes indeed there are companies who don't do customer service items via email- some do, some don't. It is far from rare for an email address to be a general "catch all" one and for the emails to get forwarded to the wrong person and then buried in an inbox.

Call the customer service number!

At this point, the only reason I can think of for you to not pick up the phone and call is arrogance that your way is superior and a silly bullheaded intransigence to actually try something that will work if it isn't your chosen method. Get over yourself and pick up the phone. I've told you this. Others have told you this. You refuse to hear what we're saying.

If you won't take our counsel and make a phone call, there's nothing we can do for you and I hope you enjoy your broken rifle, since you refuse to do what it will take to get it fixed.

krinko

Here's a photo of a Twin Cities 5.56 round that I just chambered in my ACR, using the bolt release.
As you can see, there is a dimple in the primer----my ARs will do the same thing.
I would suggest a call to Hornady might be a better course of action than calling Bushmaster.
I have only 650 rounds through my ACR at this point---all were loaded with the bolt release---and I have had zero malfunctions.
Rounds would be from Lake City, Twin Cities, WCC, Radway Green and PPU.
-----krinko

391738810.jpg

PS> The stuff on the primer is marker ink, I wasn't sure the dimple would be deep enough to photograph.

IXLR8

Here's a photo of a Twin Cities 5.56 round that I just chambered in my ACR, using the bolt release.
As you can see, there is a dimple in the primer----my ARs will do the same thing.
I would suggest a call to Hornady might be a better course of action than calling Bushmaster.
I have only 650 rounds through my ACR at this point---all were loaded with the bolt release---and I have had zero malfunctions.
Rounds would be from Lake City, Twin Cities, WCC, Radway Green and PPU.
-----krinko

The ACR manual says .223 or 5.56. As I previously stated, I did not have any problems with 5.56 ammo. Load up your ACR with your choice of .223 ammo, and give it a try. Just make sure it is pointing in a safe direction...

Call the number?
Press 1 for English
Press 2 to hold indefinitely for for someone in an Indian call center that knows nothing about firearms.
Press 3 to leave a call back number

When was the last time you tried to call a customer support number?

Yes, it is a sweet scope, a Bushmaster 4200 Tactical with FFP Mil-dot sight, mounted with A.R.M.S. quick release mounts. It took 4 shots on an un-borsighted scope to get the first bullseye. If you have not tried the ARMS mounts, they are very sweet, I will never use anything else. I am going to retrofit my other rifles with them.

I wish I could take it to the range with confidence, right know I am a little concerned about operating it.

Today, I will disassemble the BCG and inspect it. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.