Needing a new 22LR Bolt Gun

bobn

although I am not a top 22 rimfire silhouette shooter, my savage was costing me knock downs anything past 100 meters. the Kimber does not. hate to say it but it also doesn't feed worth a darn either.
.....Kimber, 540/580 Rem, or Anschutz is what I would get. rather have one good one then 5 or 6 mediocre 22s. jmho.

Ricekila

kinggun01x600_zpsz4pgqhkw.jpg

Last edited:

tangolima

My best shooting 22lr rifle is a Marlin 81, which is bolt action. $75 from a shop's bargain rack.

The 2nd best is a Mossberg 151m, which is semi auto. <$120 from GunBroker.

-TL

Rothdel

Thanks for the Advice

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Read up here a bit and did some research off of the suggestions. Went to my LGS this weekend with a couple of ideas in mind.

They had a decent selection of new and used that would fit the bill. Ultimately went with a Ruger American for one reason and one reason only. New gun that an employee had accidentally destroyed the box and manual on so it was sold as is at a screaming deal.

All in all very happy with my purchase.

cslinger

Good solid choice. I haven't heard of anything bad about the Ruger American Rimfire and it uses the tried and proven 10/22 magazine.

Of course that means you will have to buy a 10/22...........

Which of course will drive you to tinker with it........

Then BLAM!!!! Your screaming deal has turned into a 2nd mortgage turning that perfectly serviceable gun into a electromagnetic sniper .22. :)

Hey don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Seriously enjoy the Ruger American.

ShootistPRS

I have to agree with the Ruger being a very useful gun. My son owns on and he has found a couple of ammo brands that it shoots reliably. If I could get him out to the range more he could maybe out shoot his dad. :)

Bottom Gun

My Anschutz sporters are the most accurate rimfires I have ever used. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for and you will never feel the need to upgrade to something better.
If you shop around, you can usually find some good deals on used Anschutz rifles. You won’t be sorry.

The CZ has a reputation for being very accurate, they look great, and the price isn't ridiculous. Hard to beat. The FS...

Had a Marlin 981T. Loved it.
Replaced with 981TS when they came out.
It shows significant wear in the area the bolt handle rides on the receiver after a few thousand rounds.
Still accurate.
I love the tube feed. 22lr mags are usually quite expensive and easy to lose.

rc

Certifiable Rimfire Nut advice.

You could certainly look for a classic 22 with iron sights that would be in your price range if you have shops in your area that carry used guns. My marlin 880 stainless is a plenty fine rifle but it is not an accuracy champ by any stretch for me as the chamber is more of a sporting configuration. Not sure the new XT marlins are any better shooting but they do have a marksman trigger like savage accu trigger that I don't care for. In the same class is your savage that can be very accurate. There is a little itty bitty suppressor ready model that big 5 sells that would be a great truck gun with a 16 inch barrel BUT savage magazines are CRAP and that one has no sights but other savage models do! Marlin magazines are much better and more trouble free if you look at common complaints. Now another competitor in the price range is the Ruger American Rimfire. Magazines are the best in class and this is the most trouble free in class but only are available in Blue. You can get a standard rifle with rifle sights or a vamint version with heavier barrel and no sights and bigger bolt knob. Look up some of the U tube videos on these. I would suggest you look at the standard rifle with sights, in 16 or 20 inch versions, with or without barrel threads. Now, if you are looking for something that will run circles around the above rifles in accuracy, look at a CZ. I prefer the 452 but the suppressor ready 455 trainer is one I would like to have in 22 LR but there are no open sights on that model. You can also get a "trainer" version of the 452 with great iron sights for under $400 that will scratch your bolt gun itch very well. If you want walnut however, you'll have to find a lux model otherwise the trainer has a birch stock. My trainer is one of the most accurate 22s I have. I can't think of anything more expensive guns with open sights that will serve you better than a CZ 452 trainer. Ruger 77/22s are great guns but accuracy of the 22 LR models can be iffy and they are not worth what the asking price is north of about $450.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/657577257
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658497688
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658147082
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658544590
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658356841

Honorable mention must go to the zastava CZ99/ Remington Model 5 if you can find one. Other great used guns are the Winchester 69 with grooved receiver that can be found used and some of the Remington 541 series guns with rear locking lugs.

Model12Win

The CZ-452 is a tack driver and the Military Trainer comes with an excellent set of iron sights. I'd look not much further.

Geezerbiker

I bought a bolt action Savage .22 for m birthday a few years ago. While it's a fine shooting rifle, it fails to extract all too often...

Tony

Picher

Congratulations on finding a great buy on the Ruger American! It's always nice to find a good rifle at a fantastic price.

Reloadron

Geezerbiker:
I bought a bolt action Savage .22 for m birthday a few years ago. While it's a fine shooting rifle, it fails to extract all too often...

Tony
Fix that puppy. Sometimes just a matter of scrubbing the bolt face and finding dirt or carbon crud under the extractor. Maybe an extractor or extractor spring will get it right and reliable. :)

Ron

godale

I have always been partial to Marlin bolt actions myself. They can be found in used racks at gun stores or pawn shops. I have owned several over the years and still own three. A 981T 22lr and models 783 and 883 in 22mag.

I have never owned a Marlin that wasn't accurate. And I mean half inch groups at 50yards. And don't discount older models like the model 25 I stupidly sold.

I also have a Ruger 77/22 that I had read on the internet that was not a tight grouper but OK for a field gun. That rifle will shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yards that will fit in a dime. CZs are nice but expensive and 5 shot mags are 30 plus bucks. But they are top notch rifles if that's what you are looking for.

Even Marlin semi autos wil shoot very good groups and Marlin made them in the millions. Used ones are easy to find but even bought new Marlins are affordable no matter if a bolt or semi is chosen.

I have a marlin 25 and it's pretty good for the money . I also own a savage and model 60 but when it's time to go get them I am grabbing the old 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk