Needing a new 22LR Bolt Gun

Rothdel

My wife took my gun. On a recent trip to the range my wife evidently adopted my rifle and told me very clearly it is now hers. So I get to replace it.

I use this mainly for range fun and some light critter hunting around a cabin we own.

I have not been in the market for a 22 bolt gun for sometime so not even really sure whats out there. Other than being 22 LR and a bolt I don't have a ton of requirements here. Would like to stay around or under $300 but not a huge concern. I prefer irons but guessing for a 22 this is pretty standard to find. Don't care much if the gun is magazine, tube, single shot, ect ect ect. Heck as a C&R holder I would even be willing to look at old/surplus rifles if anyone knows of a deal to be had.

Any suggestions or anything I should absolutely stay away from?

I like the ChiCom Mauser 98K lookalike in 22 LR. Easy to use, it's a fun little plinker that is very accurate. I don't know if they're available anymore though.

My favorite is the M-2 Springfield which is a 22 LR built on the '03 action. Good luck in finding one though and if you did, they are pricey.

aarondhgraham

CZ makes some fine rifles,,,

CZ...every day of the week and twice on sunday.....

This is very true.

But, I have a Savage Mk-II that's just as good a performer as my CZ-452 Trainer,,,
It's just not anywhere as pretty a rifle.

Happy rifle hunting.

Aarond

ThomasT

I have always been partial to Marlin bolt actions myself. They can be found in used racks at gun stores or pawn shops. I have owned several over the years and still own three. A 981T 22lr and models 783 and 883 in 22mag.

I have never owned a Marlin that wasn't accurate. And I mean half inch groups at 50yards. And don't discount older models like the model 25 I stupidly sold.

I also have a Ruger 77/22 that I had read on the internet that was not a tight grouper but OK for a field gun. That rifle will shoot 10 shot groups at 50 yards that will fit in a dime. CZs are nice but expensive and 5 shot mags are 30 plus bucks. But they are top notch rifles if that's what you are looking for.

Even Marlin semi autos wil shoot very good groups and Marlin made them in the millions. Used ones are easy to find but even bought new Marlins are affordable no matter if a bolt or semi is chosen.

Reloadron

While I like the new CZ rifles as to bang for the buck I would also consider some of the older guns out there. The Remington 500 guns like the 510, 511 and 512 as well as other 500 series bolt guns. Then the older Winchester bolt guns and the Savage guns. There are some great tack driving older used 22s to be had in your price range. Oh yeah, and not to forget the Marlin rifles. I really enjoy those old 22 rifles.

Ron

10-96

I would have to pitch my vote for either the CZ Military Trainer, or the CZ Ultra Lux. I have both, and for the quality and well, just pure "Ooh-Ahh" factor of the elegantly long barrels, contoured wood, and definite European rake to the comb- they are worth every penny in my humble opinion.

amd6547

If I were looking for a rim fire bolt gun, I think I would buy a Ruger American. The guys over at rimfirecentral seem to love them.
As it is, a Romanian M69 trainer fills that niche for me.

the possum

I've been keeping my eye out for one of the older Remington 500 series rifles as well. They have a strong reputation for outstanding accuracy. I'd love to come across one in a pawn shop for $100- I don't mind external wear and scuffs if the bore is good.

Rothdel-
Have you looked at the Browning T-Bolt? They are a straight-pull bolt, so no worries about scope clearance. And they're so light and elegant. They have a long tapered barrel, and a balance in hand that just exudes quality. Ya really aughtta handle one, if you haven't already.

JWT

CZ 455FS is a very good gun. The action is extremely smooth. They tend to have very nice wood in their stocks. I like the full length Mannlicher style stock, but they make regular length stocks as well. I'd definitely look at the CZs.

Last edited:

Onward Allusion

I usually chuckle when I see the words "need" and "gun" in the same sentence in a gun forum. First world problems . . . :)

Staying under $300 - go for a Marlin - you'll have enough left over for a decent scope for 22LR distances.

ShootistPRS

The Marlin rifles seem to have a reputation for being less finicky about the ammo they like. I have no idea how fussy the CZ rifles are but they have a loyal following. Price wise the Ruger American is very accurate with some ammo but only likes a few different types (like most 22 rim fire rifles). The Marlins and Rugers are about the same cost but there is a lot more accessories available for the Ruger. It can be purchased with a separate butt stock that converts it to a youth stock or a different one for a Monte Carlo stock. It uses the standard 10-22 magazines so you have a lot of choices there.
If the accessories are unimportant to you I would say the for the money the Marlin is likely the best bang for the bucks. Second would be the Ruger American, From there the price goes up pretty fast for new guns. On the used stack there are a lot of choices. I like my Remington 581 for bench work and I use it for 22 silhouette but it is very picky about ammo and it is very light which is not good for off hand shooting. I would prefer a 7 pound 22 for off hand use. (not likely to be commercially available)
Have fun trying all the choices and get one you will like.