Need suggestions!

smarquez

Since I like spending other peoples money, go for a 6.5 '06. Use .270 brass to make your 6.5 brass.
How is the action rated for pressure compared to a large ring Mauser?
I'm drooling over that action man, I would probably build up another 6.5 x 55 rifle.

oldscot3

From the pic his action appears to be a Husky of the 1640 series. Those actions are tops in my view, they're of the "improved Mauser" design, kind of a cross between a Mauser and Winchester model 70. They came from the factory chambered fro 270 and 30 06, plenty strong for any modern cartridge's pressure.

Aside from the one I mentioned above, I used to own one years ago, an HVA, that had a custom 6.5 Gibbs barrel on it. I blew primers on several loads trying to use load data that came with the rifle. Gasses and pressure were safely contained by that gun.

Preemptive Yes, I know how dangerous...this was several decades ago, before the age of easy information, but even then it scared me how in the dark I was about the data I was trying to use and I gave up on it and sold it. Now I wish I had kept it and just re-barelled it.

Jim Watson

Swedish action ought to be a Swedish caliber but there seems to be a lot of slop between Swedish 6.5x55 specs and American practice on case vs chamber.

6.5x257R is pretty much a 6.5x57 with advantage of common dies and data from its use in Americanizing Arisakas.

6.5 Creedmoor is the current hot item.

emcon5

smarquez said:
.270 brass to make your 6.5 brass.

Tangent, but .25-06 brass is better to use as a base for 6.5-06. To make 6.5-06 from .25-06 all you need to do is neck size, for .270 you also need to trim, as the case is longer (based on the .30-03). Found that out the hard way.

Another thought, .260 Remington. You get most of the benefit of the 6.5-06/6.5-284, with off the shelf Lapua brass, and since you have a long action, you shouldn't run out of room for heavy bullets like the short action folks do. With smaller case capacity, you can still get good performance in a shorter barrel without the battleship muzzle blast.

Lapua also makes 6.5-284 brass, but it was ~30% more expensive the last time I looked.

taylorce1

oldscot3 said:
taylorce1 - I can't quite tell from the picture; what happen to the trigger?

Nothing happened to the trigger, what you see is the trigger shoe sitting off to one side. That trigger is a tang safety Canjar single set trigger. You have to remove the shoe every time you want to take the bottom metal off. When I had the rifle taken apart I opted not to put the shoe back on. I hated that feature of the trigger.

It doesn't really matter anymore anyway when I rebuild the rifle it'll probably just get a Timney trigger. I've since gifted the trigger to Hooligan1 for a 6.5 Creedmoor project he's been working on. He built his 6.5CM on an intermediate length M98 and was looking for a trigger, he asked me what he thought he should go with so I sent him this one to try.

She was ugly, but I saw the bones underneath!

P1000440.jpg

P1000385.jpg

P1000382.jpg

P1000381.jpg

P1000386.jpg

P1000384.jpg

oldscot3

Interesting, that trigger/tang safety is an accessory I've never seen before. If your action is indeed a 1640 series Husqvarna you might not be able to get a Timney. Last time I checked they weren't available even though Timney had (reported) said they were going to produce some. The 1640s aren't standard mauser and triggers don't interchange.

I put a Huber in my rifle.

HiBC

My Husky 5000 has a Canjar,but not a set trigger.

Given that receiver has a "X by 57" length and style mag box not quite full 30-06 length,and its an alloy box,
I myself would not consider anything but Mauser or 06 derived cartridge brass. I say that because I have played that game with the .308 and 7-08 in a Mauser action. I'm not saying it can't be done. I am saying the different case taper has an effect on the cartridge stack in the mag,and can result in headaches. Same with the 6.5 -284. I'm not knocking the cartridge,but why go to exotic ,over diameter,rebated 308 length brass for a near 30-06 length Mauser box? Same with 6.5 Creedmore.
Myself,I'd look at what cartridges are based an brass that the Mauser was designed to run on,rather than cartridges that other folks have been dreaming of building their own rifle for.
At this point,you have eliminated 7 mm and 8 mm. You have 25's,and 25 bullets are limited. So,that leaves 6mm. A 6mm Rem or 6mm Rem AI are possible.
There seems to be some 6.5 interest,with a length rejection of 6.5-06.

OK.I'm listening. The Warren Page 6.5 version of a .257 Ackley Improved,or 7x57 Improved, is the .260 AAR,I suggested already .His "One rifle that will do it all" IMO,this is the straight line answer to the 6.5 dia.You can long seat heavy bulles,and case capacity is about optimal.

You could do the same in a .270 version of a 7x57 AI.

And then there is 8mm brass. .270? .30 ? .338? Might make fine cartridges. .I'm not sure why a person would do all that.You CAN short chamber with a 30-06 reamer and use 8x57 brass necked down.Grind the bottom off 30-06 dies. I think its called the 30 Dunlop.
130 gr .270 cartridges would work in that box,I think.

9 by 57? or .358 or 9.3?? If you think you need one.

You have a push feed bolt,I would not mess with the bolt face/extractor.

taylorce1

Several Smith's have told me you can get a Timney to work, but it isn't a drop in process. It'll take some modifications but they do work, especially since I'll change out cocking piece and go to a M70 style safety. Huber might be an option, and it is a 1600 action. I'll have to find some parts to get a Huber to work.

HiBC said:
You have a push feed bolt,I would not mess with the bolt face/extractor[

I'm pretty sure my bolt doesn't fit the definition of push feed, I wasn't going to change it though anyway.

Last edited:

HiBC

My bad! Obviously,I was wrong. In the initial photo,the damascening on the extractor camo'd the outline so I could not see the claw extractor.
Thanks!(I noted that on the next to last pic,first post.OOPS)

Last edited:

oldscot3

A Husky 1600 series is a sweet action to start with, good luck with your project and I look forward to following your progress.

hooligan1

Trigger is a Canjar, so it has a wide shoe that pins to it after its in the stock.
And I traded him out of it....and its super...Thanks Taylorce1.

hooligan1

Taylorce1, why dont you stop the madness and just send that action to me. Let me figure out what to do with it...:D
Wheres that stock now?

taylorce1

Stock is long gone, sold it for $50 + shipping. I threw it on gunbroker and was surprised what it sold for. More amazing is what I got for the old M8 7.5X Leopold and the rings and bases, it made the action stupid cheap.

std7mag

Taylorce1,

Since your Mauser is already set up for the "standard" or long action, and it were my rifle, I'd seriously be looking at the 35 Whelen.
Of course me liking wildcats I'd probably go the 35 Whelen AI, to help with the head spacing.

I bought an Interarms Whitworth last year. Large ring commercial Mauser action with adjustable trigger, and the safety on the right side of the receiver, Bell & Carlson stock, chambered in 270 Win.

While there is not a thing wrong with the 270 Win cartridge, I'm just not a big fan of it.

I'm waiting for the new barrel from E.R. Shaw. 1&1/2 Shaw contour 24" in 284 Win.

taylorce1

Neither, I forget the name of the rings and bases now but the were PITA to get off the scope. They were not split anywhere except at the base, and you had to spread them like a snap ring to get them off the scope. Didn't want to mess with them again so I sold them off as well.

taylorce1

std7mag said:
Taylorce1,

Since your Mauser is already set up for the "standard" or long action, and it were my rifle, I'd seriously be looking at the 35 Whelen.
Of course me liking wildcats I'd probably go the 35 Whelen AI, to help with the head spacing.

I bought an Interarms Whitworth last year. Large ring commercial Mauser action with adjustable trigger, and the safety on the right side of the receiver, Bell & Carlson stock, chambered in 270 Win.

While there is not a thing wrong with the 270 Win cartridge, I'm just not a big fan of it.

I'm waiting for the new barrel from E.R. Shaw. 1&1/2 Shaw contour 24" in 284 Win.

I've had the Whelen twice, traded one and sold the other off. I'll have a Whelen again someday, but I'd like another on a 1903 action like the last one I sold off. No need for a AI in the Whelen, never once had any headspace problems with the original cartridge. The rifle I really want to try though is a .358 Norma.

You probably feel the same way about the .270 that I feel about 7mm cartridges. I started with the .270 Win and when I tried to make the switch to the .280 and 7mm Rem Mag, neither one delivered on the hype that I had read. There was nothing wrong with how they performed, just that they didn't do anything different in the real world from my .270 Win.

hooligan1

I just finished pillar bedding a model 70 synthetic 7mm rem mag, its the spitting image of the one I have, only not camoed, still black.
Specifically Im going to run 140's and 150's over 3100 fps. Which doesnt really bury my .270 in speed but I like the feel of this rifle when I hunt with it.
The same reason you really like an 03a3 for a 35 Whelen, just feels right.;)

emcon5

You probably feel the same way about the .270 that I feel about 7mm cartridges. I started with the .270 Win and when I tried to make the switch to the .280 and 7mm Rem Mag, neither one delivered on the hype that I had read. There was nothing wrong with how they performed, just that they didn't do anything different in the real world from my .270 Win.

The same can be said for pretty much any modern cartridge developed in the past 100 years (or more). At typical hunting ranges (excluding dangerous game and moose size or larger) any non magnum bigger than ~.243 Win will do the job just fine.