Need some serious sage rifle advice

12-34hom

Try a 243 Ackley Improved or Winchester version.

I would not have any problem taking an elk sized animal at 200 yards or less with any 243 loaded with the proper bullet. Those who say otherwise are fooling themselfs that this caliber won't take larger sized animals.

Its versatility is excellent, shooting bullet weight from 55 thru 100 grains, with the right barrel twist. I reloaded this caliber for over ten years, i would not hunt grizz or brown bear with it, but black bear or feral hogs would be no problem.

Gun wise a Browning BAR in 243 would be the cats meow.. :)

Then find a rifle range, and practice - alot. - it makes all the difference.

12-34hom.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Stock fit: Two things I always check are the length of pull and where the sights are when I mount it to my shoulder.

For the first, I've always held the rifle with my hand on the pistol grip and finger on trigger, with my arm bent 90 degrees. I like the butt pad to barely touch the lower end of my bicep.

Mount any rifle to your shoulder with your eyes closed. When you open them, you should be looking right through the sights or scope. (Works the same for shotguns, too; right down the rib.)

Art

Brooks

Cheap advice

Look up what Plateshooter says on one of the above threads about the Saiga .308. The rifle is advertised by CDNN in SHOTGUN NEWS. It has the reliable stamped Kalashnikov action made by the Russians in Ishvesk by the people who have made them in the millions. For $339 plus FFL fees, S&H and tax you can get a very accurate hunting rifle with a cold hammer forged barrel that is chrome lined and it is politically correct too. The semi-auto action reduces felt recoil.

You can put on a put a PSO-1 (4X) or red dot Kobra sight on it for $130 using the left side mounting rail.

I got my Saiga 7.62x39 last week. Maybe a .308 next.

This is at least an interesting option.

Links below:

www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/
www.eaacorp.com

www.club.guns.ru/eng

45Badger

30.06 or (my favorite) .308 win. The 30.06 has a very wide variety of ammunition available. Light to heavy loads. Will cleanly take any North American game if you do your part (through the lungs, please).

Oakleaf

I would point you to a choice of three - possibly decided by availability in left hand etc.

I have owned each one - though currently have just the latter two.

1. 7mm-08 - this has got to be a classic all-rounder. Performance is excellent - ballistically and thanks to the excellent bullet choice in that calibre. Noted as a light recoiler - as in all things this can be relative. With 145grain loads it is superb on UK stags weighing in at circa 17-20 stone. With 110/120grn it is potent, flat shooting fox medicine. I had a Browning A -bolt Medallion - very easy to carry.

2. .30-06 - another classic one gun arsenal choice. I have a Browning European with Boss. My 4'11" ( no weight to preserve domestic bliss! ) wife uses it with impunity. She's not tough - it just barely recoils. Certainly less felt kick with 165 grn Nitrex factory than 100grn RWS in 243. Boss lets you tune in the rifle. Nothing, genuinely nothing goes outside 1/2-3/4" with it.
However, it is verging on over gunned for light weight critters - if that is your predominant target.

3. 6.5x55 - see other threads on developing loads for my Tikka in this calibre. 129 grn Hornady reloads will take everything you want to hunt in fine style ( on the light weight/ medium side ). 140 grain version of same with cover the low , medium and marginal upper spectrum. 156/ 160 grain loads are classic Scandinavian 'Elk' rounds and perform out of all proportion with their paper ballistics.
Recoil is mild generally - point taken about stock configuration etc. I had a muzzle brake fitted and the stock chopped. The shop fitted a Pachmyer Decellerator - with both fitted the rifle almost had negative recoil! Now just use it with the but pad in place.

Hope this helps.

Brooks

Cooper's advice

Jeff Cooper would surely agree with the Steyer Scout recommendation. He truly believes that it is a quantum leap forward in rifle design. How much does one cost with a proper scope? He acknowledges that it is expensive but well worth it. Cooper is the man.

He also advises that the best thing you can do about recoil is to ignore it.

Question for Oakleaf---1.) If you passed a stone, how many pounds would you lose?

2.) Where in the U.K. can you hunt or shoot?

Oakleaf

Brooks-

1. We have the National Health Service - 'passing ' stones is free!:D

2. Gun law in the UK is very strict and specific. My Firearms Certificate states I may use

a. .22 RF Ruger and Anschultz Rifles & Moderator for Vermin control on lands at GGHGGHG and on any other ground over which I have permission to shoot.

b. .223, 6.5x55 and 30-06 ( note the last ) for deer stalking and vermin control ( note the last ) on lands at GGHGGHG and any other ground over which I have permission to shoot.

The above are heavily paraphrased. However, 30-06 with 180 grain bear claw bullets is great for killing rats in suburban back gardens!!!!:D

Seriously - there are ( for the moment ) still places here - and some of those compare/ compete with hunting grounds anywhere in the world. For how much longer ... ?

ronin308

I think you might be holding rifles completely wrong if they hurt you that much. My fiancee holds them correctly and she shoots my .308 scout rifle without a problem. I can shoot .300 Weatherbys like nothing using these techniques. Here's some tips:

1) Buttplate positioning- put the top of the buttplate right under the bottom of you collarbone. Put the rifle in the pocket of your shoulder. It should actually touch your pectoral muscle. Do NOT put it so high that it will hit your collarbone. The top of the buttplate should barely touch the bottom of your collarbone. Don't forget to keep your elbows out and not at your sides.

2) Pressure- You want to give the rifle a firm handshake. Don't wrestle with it, and don't act like you're playing a violin. Use a firm amount of pressure with your hands and your shoulder. Push the rifle into your shoulder pocket firmly, do NOT push your shoulder into the rifle. But also do not let your shoulder be limp. Don't fight it when it recoils back. If you hold it too tight it will beat you, if you ease up too much, it will beat you.

3) Cheek weld- Keep your cheek nice and snug on the stock. Don't push so hard that you're making your teeth hurt. If you don't hold your cheek snug on the stock, the stock will come up and whap you in the jaw.

Don't forget to not fight the recoil! It won't kill you, it won't injure you! If you have any questions, ask away! I hate when shooters get recoil shy. That's because I was recoil shy from the ages of 10-17 until I figured out how to hold the gun properly. When I was growing up I thought my .270 hurt, and now its like shooting a .22 LR with muzzle jump.

Dan

Last edited:

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Well as a lefty your choices in Bolt rifles are limited while keeping in a reasonable budget. Savage and Remington both make inexpensive lefty bolt rifles in very serious calibers. The 308 or 30-06 favors better on bigger game than the lighter faster 270 (just my opinion I like heavier loads). Recoil can be tamed by shooting more often. There are tons of surplus 30-06 and 308 available to "train" with before you start working up a good hand load. Savage also has the "weather warrior" line in stainless with adjustable muzzle brake in left style. I use a 116 in 30-06 for all my hunting. Bears, elk, deer, antelope, gophers whatever. They all get a big dose of 165gr sierra game king. If I wanted big bear or moose, I'd up gun to a 220 grain bullet, or get a bigger rifle (which I may do yet.)

You also mentioned the Pump action rifles, my dad has hunted with a Remington 760 carbine in 30-06 for years. He's killed deer, elk, antelope and various vermin with it.. and let me tell you something a 300 yard shot is NOT impossible with that "old pump gun." he uses the same load as I do.

Ive never owned a Savage 99 or a Winchester 88, but either one in 308 is a light handy weapon, and they sort of work like a good old marlin lever gun.

Weight is obviously an issue, but if you haven't tried making 500-600 yard shots I'd set yourself up for a more reasonable 300 yards. A good recoil pad and proper stance can make your day at the range far more comfortable. When you actually take a shot at a deer, its dopubtful you'll even notice the recoil. However if you've developed a flich you might miss, anticipating it. So again, practice. Good optics will add to the weight of your rifle, as will bi-pods and other doo-dads. I don't like carrying a lot of extras so I use a GI leather sniper sling for fast stabilization.

Hope the advice helps.