need info about Austin, Texas area

kjm

Houston is only about three hours East of Austin, so on the weekend of the big show, you can just find friends in the area and make the pilgrimage. It is truly a sight to behold and I doubt you can behold it all. Guns, guns, guns, as far as the eye can see. They even have stuff for the less gun-enthusiastic ladies too.

If you can't find it at the Houston Gun Show, it is very likely illegal to own, and some of the stuff I saw there was technically illegal but the guy was hocking it anyway! It's a great place to sell your stuff too. I was walking around with my infant son and had his diapers and bottles in a backpack, and I never went more than 20 yards before another person asked me what I wanted to sell out of the backpack! People go there and have been saving the whole quarter prior to the show so that they can spend the money their wives don't know about (I do!).

Live in Austin. Swim at Barton Springs, go gun shopping in Houston.

I don't think you'll mind most of what is there. Liberals are tolerable so long as you don't plan to spend the rest of your life there. Liberals drive your taxes up and that is intolerable over the long-term.

Glenn E. Meyer

KInd of off - topic for guns but go to:

The new Whole Foods on Lamar - you will not be able to use your IWB after there.

Then go to Book People - a great independent book store - across the street.

Then drive up and stop at McBrides - expensive but a fun browse. Beware of the check out ladies - dragons!!

Then continue up Lamar to Central Market. I was there a couple of weeks ago and bought some fine American Artisianal cheeses and an Extra Aged Appenzeller. Also a high end unfilter Sake.

Then go to Threadgills and have country fried pork chops with cheese grits and greens.

Thus it is a fun place and fattening!

It is also the base, as I mentioned of www.krtraining.com, where you can just train away and lots of competitions from Mike Webb and other outfits.

If I didn't live in San Antonio, I would be happy to live in Austin.

San Antonio is a nice place also but doesn't have the school you are interested in.

IZHUMINTER

Then go to Threadgills and have country fried pork chops with cheese grits and greens.

I usually got the pork chops until I finally tried the pecan-crusted chicken. Now it's all I ever eat...I just vary the sides.

For what it's worth, the Eagle Peak Shooting Range in Leander is $10 for the whole day. It's clean and well maintained, well-lit at night and open year-round. The only shortcoming I've found is that they don't allow FMJ ammo on the rifle line, so I can't shoot cheap Korean surplus through my Garand.

Check 'em out at http://epsr.home.texas.net/

9mmsnoopy

"Austin Texas is a firey pit of HELL with one of the worst colleges you could imagine. However, about 70 miles closer to where you are is a great place where the beer is cold, the women pretty, and the education"

the women pretty? you mean mootilda and amazon woman? in college station joan rivers and rosie odonutonabakedham would be considered hot.

if you should ever for some reason find yourself going to college station you will know that your nearly there when you see sheep start backing up to the fence. baahhh baahhh

almark

For Austin crime statistics check out http://austintx.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm
Also, you may wanna grab a Texas map and check out some of the surrounding suburbs and look em up on http://www.areaconnect.com/state.htm?s=TX

Since you are going into film, UT does sound like the right school for you... I'm not even sure what other colleges offer that degree plan. Also, don't let some of the comments on this thread bother you (mine included)... UT and A&M have a *friendly* rivalry... at least we're supposed to, and all the people I know that take jabs at each other do so in jest. (May wanna watch out for those OU people though ;) ) Anyway, sounds like Austin is the place for you (the food is great too.) Good luck!

TheDutchman

Could no one tell I was joking Jeez. Boofus Cost Plus 10 on my previous post is the place to take CCW its only 80 dollars plus Jim is a Notary Public. Two place allow Class III Stan gun range and Hill Country Rifle Range, the latter has a 350m rifle range

MCIWS

Austin is Fantastic!

I Lived there about a year and LOVED it! The women are beautiful, the weather is bearable, and it is definitely gun friendly. McBride’s is an old and well-stocked gun store, but I found some of the workers to be a little snobby. Oh wait, that’s just about every gun store. Anyway, you will not regret it!

By the way, do you know why Kyle Field (where the Aggies play in College Station) is made of turf?

---So the cheerleaders don’t graze at halftime!