Need Help with "One Rifle" Decision

November

I'm looking for some opinions on a choice of rifle. I've decided it would be wise to own a centerfire long gun. This rifle will be my only centerfire rifle. It needs to be an all-rounder. Primarily, this will be a SHTF scenario long gun. Otherwise, this gun will be for fun/plinking. Ruggedness, ease of of maintenance (or lack thereof), simplicity, accuracy, ammo availability, etc. are the primary requirements. I'd also like it to be relatively inexpensive ($300-$400), but that's not written in stone. Any ideas?

Jeff Thomas

Based upon that budget, and your criteria, I would suggest you have described an AK. The Romanian SAR-1's, to be exact. If you go that route, examine your purchase before you complete the deal ... quality can be spotty on those rifles, so look it over carefully -- especially the front sight.

I do notice prices seem to be edging up on those rifles.

Buy plenty of mag's ... the East German ribbed seem to work well. Tapco is one source.

Check out www.ak-47.net for good info. Note there are many variety of AK's. The Bulgarian SLR's are a fine choice, but a bit more expensive.

An SKS would be another good choice, depending upon your most important criteria.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards from AZ

Glock4ever

Sounds like you want an AK

Aks are inexpensive and cheap to shoot. They come in various calibres and are very low maintenance - Your best bet is to go with some sort of AK 47 clone, ammo is cheap and mags plentiful. It is plenty accurate for what you want and can definitely be used for plinking/practice. I tried an AK that one of my shooting buddies has - it is definitely fun. The only real hassle is mounting a scope (if you really want one).

yorec

Depends on your planned mode of operation during the perceived SHTF event. If it is just basic defnese with losts of available firepower the above AK Suggestions are just right, though I'd prefer my AR or FN/FAL.

If you want to expand the ability of your rifle IN comparison the the AK though, look for a good bolt action rifle in .308 or .30-06. Something along the lines of a Rem 700. It will do anything the AK will only slower and better. :) Make sure it has iron sights on the barrel, just in case, and get a good scope. Ammo would be readily available in said SHTF scenario and is cheap to get and stockpile now. Also the the gun would be excellent for foraging and current practice (plinking) It would have enough power to be a threat to someone taking cover behind light objects in a bad situation. Sure the AK might be better if you plan to be rushed by a large group of determined attackers in mass, but they would probably get you if you were armed with an AK too. I think even the old bolt gun would give a good accounting of itself if you have fortress like defenses and/or the ability to move quickly and well...

Its the "all around" choice.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
November, if you're thinking of a rifle for a SHTF scenario, you'd better think long and hard about your individual situation. It's pretty much different for a city dweller as compared to rural, for instance.

Probably as important as the weapon are your considerations as to tactics: Solo, or in cooperation with neighbors, for instance. Total breakdown of society (IMO, highly unlikely) or an LA Riots sort of situation.

That said, for the money the AK variants would serve equally well with many others.

$0.02,

Art

dwesson445

FWIW regarding an AK, unless you've got a big raging one for that banana clip, I'd suggest a more "utilitarian" rifle would be an SKS. Generally regarded as more accurate than the AK, and if you get into legal trouble you might not have as much "guilt by association" problem with an "assault rifle".

Personally, I'd suggest a lever action 30-30 if your tastes lean to "classic American", or perhaps a Scout rifle based on the Enfield action if you are a fan of Col. Cooper. You'd have a tough time going wrong with a German or Czech Mauser because of all the aftermarket stuff you can buy. One of the Spanish FR-8s might be a possibility, too. I really like mine except for that frikkin' rear sight thing. My Ishapore Enfield shoots straight as a laser at 200 yards, too. Any of these should cost way less than $200.

However, if I were limited to only one rifle I'd have a hell of a time NOT going with a Garand.

My $.02

Bob Locke

What Art said....

Are you talking about "survival" or "urban renewal" as your particular SHTF scenario? The recommendations you get will have a lot to do with what you'll potentially be dealing with.

If it's "urban renewal", where a lot of lead downrange in a short period is the goal, then an AK or SKS would be my choice.

If you're talking about taking game to feed yourself and your family out in the woods, then a good bolt gun ought to be at the top of your shopping list.

Or, you could split the difference and get a lever gun.

More info from you would help us help you.

November

Thanks for replies so far. Setting would be suburban. Maybe rural also. This rifle would be for defense, hunting, everything. Hope this info helps you guide me. Thanks again.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Something to keep in mind about a bolt-action rifle is that the British competition team scored as well with their Enfields in rapid fire as did the U.S. team with Garands. Camp Perry, some such, back in around 1939/1940. In other words, practice and training.

Now, I'm not much on the SHTF scenario. CAN happen, but I think low probability. So, I'd focus on a good hunting rifle, and handloading for it.

If deer and smaller will be the game animals, there's no real reason to go bigger cartridges than .243 or 7mm08 range. Lotsa very accurate bolt guns out there: Savage, Ruger, and of course Rem/Win/Sako, etc. I'd say, don't be afraid of a used gun. They commonly come with scope and sling, for about the price of a bare, new, rifle. You can always pull the scope and trade up, if you want.

And I'll give my usual recommendation for a bolt-action .22 for plinking at tin cans and eye-finger coordination.

FWIW, Art

CWL

I'd agree with Art.

Consider a used Rem/Ruger/etc. bolt rifle, probably a light/mountain version with slim composite stock and short stainless barrel. My preference is always for .308 because it is common to find in military & sports rounds. Has great range, accurate, flat-trajectory and can be easily loaded.

SKS' are very good all-purpose lead-sprayers if you want to survive your Apocalypse.

Dave R

I've got both an AK and a bolt-action .308, so I feel qualified to offer an opinion.

The AK is more fun to shoot. Ammo is cheaper, too. Then there is the visual deterrent of the AK, which could be handy if the S hits the F.

If I were worried about a riot, I would rather have the AK.

Of course, in a sniper role, or if I had to be sure to hit something beyond 150 yards, I would take the bolt .308.

November

Thanks again, fellas. Tonight I went and checked out a Remington Model 710 in 270 Win. Comes with a scope and composite stock. The action is anything but slick, but it seemed like a nice rifle. Anyone have info on this rifle and/or cartridge?

grimel

For one I'd never waste money on a 710. For the same money too many good to great used rifles are available.

If the 710 is to your acceptable level of quality, go one step further and find a Mauser 98 in 8x57. The Turkish and Chek models can be found for around $100 (plus shipping and FFL fees). Ammo is dirt cheap (corrosive so be sure to clean it after shooting). Stripper clips are at least as fast as mag changes for reloads, but more ammo can be carried for a given weight of ammo. With a good peep sight (or scope) the 8mm can take any animal in NA a 308 can handle (if you reload it can be in 30-06 factory ammo class).

The last one I had was very accurate (it was a German Mauser) as in under 2" at 100yds with open sights. Buy milsurp ammo for practice and SHTF. Handloads for game. For $400 you could have a good rifle, 1k ammo, and a scope/peep sight. When/if the barrel gets shot out any smith worth the title can rebarrel it to anything from 6mm to 35 Whelen.

My SHTF rifle is a lever 44mag, I can hit out to 200yds with it. It is under 6lbs and under 3ft. Oh, yeah, it is about as easy to reload as possible.

My $0.03 (inflation).

ohen cepel

Not much specifics to go on.

I would look at:
SKS

AK's

Lever guns, 30-30 great common round or maybe a pistol cal you already have.

Or if you want more range and accuracy a solid bolt gun in .308, too many to list.

Landric

Howdy,

How about a CMP Danish M1 Garand? You can get it delivered to your door for $420. It fires the .30-06, one of the most common (if not the most common) hunting round in the US. Its battle proven in WWII and Korea, accurate, reliable, and potent. Its semi-auto, so good for the SHTF (highly unlikey IMO), but it doesn't look "evil" and uses 8-round clips that you can buy by the hunderd for about the same price a 3 or 4 AK mags.

.30-06 ammo is not a cheap, by a long shot, as 7.62x39 ammo, but its of common US manufacture, and should be easy to find at any gun store or discount store. Plus, CMP has some good deals on ammo right now, though they say they will be out soon. Going for ~$100 per 400 rounds for M2 ball.

Sure, you can get 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for that, but the .30-06 is much more potent on deer.

Destructo6

www.odcmp.com is where you'll find all of the information and downloadable forms to get the ball rolling on a government issued M1 Garand. It's a great deal that all US citizens should take advantage.

The AK is a good all round rifle. At typical 7.62x39 ammo prices, you can shoot a lot and get to know that rifle very very well, which would be as important as anything if there's some stress involved. You may not be able to put a round in a flea's ass at 800 meters with an AK, but you probably won't be needing to shoot that far if you're just trying to make it out of Dodge.

litework

Ruger Mini-thirty. 7.62x39 can kill deer sized game. For deer use the factory magazine. For your SHTF scenario, throw in your Thermamold 40 round magazine. You can buy accessories from any catalog (availability). The only thing I changed on my gun is the stock...I opted for a folding stock.