Need extra mags for Springfield 1911 45

L. Boscoe

I have a good shooting Springfield tactical 45acp 1911k, and want to buy 3
additional mags. Rather than pay $50 ea, it seems a lot of folks offer 45 mags
in the $25 range.
Question: whose will fit my pistol??:cool:

They will all fit. The question is whether or not they will work.

1911s can be finicky about magazines. A magazine that functions perfectly in my 1911 may not function in yours. Brands worth a try are Check-Mate, Metalform, Ed Brown (probably made by Check-Mate), and Mec-Gar.

TunnelRat

I have had good luck with Wilson Combat magazines in my Springfield Armory 1911s. You can find them on sale occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Watson

They are all SUPPOSED to. I have a couple of MecGar 9mms that do well, I would expect their .45s to be good. And they are less expensive than most.

jmhyer

Other than the factory mags that came with my Springfield Loaded, I have only purchased Wilson Combat 47 series and Wilson Combat ETM mags. Not the cheapest, but also not too expensive (IMHO). They have been flawless.

RickB

All mags (McCormick, Mec-Gar, Metalform, Wilson, Check-Mate) have worked in my guns, so I haven't had to limit myself to a magic mag for reliable function.
I like Check-Mate's extended-tube 8-rounders, with hybrid feedlips.
I fed my Range Officer with those mags.

Rob228

I wasn't a huge fan of McCormick magazines and I don't know why I never had any feeding issues. I think I just don't like the style of follower.

The majority of my magazines are Wilson, either the 47D or the newer model they came out with, can't remember the name but I think it had the word "extreme" somewhere in it.

The MecGar magazines that came with my S&W 1911 are probably my favorite.

DaleA

Hmmm...and I SEEM to remember old G.I. mags going for $1 each or a baker's dozen for $10 at gun shows in the 1960's.

But then, as has been said many, many times, the memory is the second thing to go as you get older.

L-2

Here's a thread from another forum which has been posted for 10+ years now, discussing what the "best" 1911 mags are:
https://www.1911forum.com/threads/best-1911-mag.344509/

The thread was locked in 2017 after ~513 posts. I suspect most of the mags are still being made and available. There may have been one or two new mag models since 2017, but unsure about that.

I've got four 1911s, all different brands, right now. I use various brands of magazines: Tripp Research "Cobra mags", unmarked Checkmate, Wilson "47D"*, Chip McCormick "Power Mags"*, Kimber (welded base)*.

*I've generally replaced the mag springs & followers in these with Tripp Research "Super 7 Upgrade Kits".
https://www.trippresearchinc.com/super-7-upgrade-kit/
These kits do drop the capacity from 8 to 7. I generally use these mags at the range and Usually carry with an 8-round, either Checkmate or Tripp Cobra mag loaded, with a 10-round Wilson mag as a spare. All these mags are 100% reliable in my four different 1911s.

I didn't wait for the Wilson or Chip McCormick mag springs to wear out, but prematurely replaced those parts with the Tripp upgrade kits just so they'd all be the same. I run ~20 mags and keep them fully loaded all the time for my convenience (less to do when going to the range).

The only mag I own which I wouldn't carry is an ACT-MAG brand which doesn't drop freely due to the front of the mag body developing "bumps" or "ripples" for some unknown reason, like soft metal.

I like the Wilson-Combat brand, btw, because if there is some type of problem with the mag bodies, Wilson will replace the mag if you mail back the problem mag with a note describing the problem. I think I've only done this twice for the feed lips spreading out too far.

The Kimber (regular 7-round-welded-base) and Wilson 47D mag springs seem to get too weak for reliability sooner than the others in my unscientific judgement. I generally only buy and use mags with replaceable base-plates, except for that one Kimber mag I've got (probably my oldest mag body). These baseplates help me seat the mags as all my 1911s currently have magwells attached. I know some folks like the flush fitting, welded-on base-plates, but I'm not one of them.

Last edited:
I've generally replaced the mag springs & followers in these with Tripp Research "Super 7 Upgrade Kits".
These kits are excellent. I replace OEM springs with the appropriate Tripp springs when necessary.

I generally only buy and use mags with replaceable base-plates, except for that one Kimber mag I've got (probably my oldest mag body). I know some folks like the flush fitting, welded-on base-plates, but I'm not one of them.
I like the removable basepads also for two additional reasons. One is they are not welded on so they don't suffer from broken welds resulting in the base plate falling off. Two is ease of disassembly for cleaning.

For compact frame 1911s being carried concealed I will use a welded base mag but it will be backed up by 8 round full size mags.

reynolds357

I have a good shooting Springfield tactical 45acp 1911k, and want to buy 3
additional mags. Rather than pay $50 ea, it seems a lot of folks offer 45 mags
in the $25 range.
Question: whose will fit my pistol??:cool:
All I use are Shooting Star mags.
Out of the 30 + different 1911 I have had,only one didn't like them. In all honestly, It didn't like any mags.

L. Boscoe

Need extra Mags for Springfield 1911 45

Ok, fyi Springfield's own mags are offered at $50.
I got 3 Wilson's they seem to be a good consensus choice

TunnelRat

Ok, fyi Springfield's own mags are offered at $50.
I got 3 Wilson's they seem to be a good consensus choice

Wow really? It’s been years since I bought Springfield magazines for my Range Officer, but they were way less than that. That’s nuts to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk