Need all you P22 Owners plz

What was your experience with the Walther P22?

• Positive

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Negative

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

HKFan9

I was thinking about buying a cheap .22 auto for the sole purpose of fun, plinking, extending range time, and practicing double taps. My SW model 17 isn't really great for practicing double taps.

I know Ruger's and Brownings are usually the Favorite, I don't want other suggestions, just interested in the P22 at the moment.

Shadi Khalil

I bought my little bro a P22 has been flawless since day one. You will here alot of pot metal talk, which is all true. It made from some inferior metal and my dealer even told me it had a 10,000 round life. It's accurate enough but I would have prefered fixed sights, espeically on such a small gun. Decocking requires you to manually lower the hammer, something I really dont like doing. It does however have a firing pin block so if you must decock it, you can do so safetly. The hammer slipped out my thumb once and slammed home on a live round, saftey was on so yes, the firing pin block works. The trigger, IMO is teribble and two thousand rounds later I havent seen much improvement. For what I paid, something like $275 I think it was worth it....

oh yeah, the firing pin block allows you to safetly dry fire, another bonus IMO.

Last edited:

kristop64089

I am on my second P22(sold the 1st one) I absolutley love it. My trigger in DA is long(as expected), but the SA isn't too bad. It has actually smoothed out quite a bit(lot's o' dryfirin') They may be made of inferior metal, but they are cheap enough, and they are just 22's. Besides the mosquito, there aren't many hammer fired, polymer options.

AND the barrel is threaded, so with the right adapter, they will EASILY accept a "can"

joehorner

22 plinker

Try and find a used Ruger Mark 11 in any length bull barrel. I have one and it is just down right fun. They can be a challange to take apart and clean,but worth it. I have had mine for years and will not give it up. I understand the Mark 11 is better than the new Mark 111

kristop64089

I know Ruger's and Brownings are usually the Favorite, I don't want other suggestions, just interested in the P22 at the moment.

Obviously you're new here, but that is the normal response when the P22 is brought up.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
MK III is just the loaded chamber indicator, magazine safety interlock, safety lockable version. I did away with the LCI and mag safety on mine...
Many MKIII are winning bulles eye competitions... I belong to gun talk forum for my MKIII info.
I almost bought the P22 but price was as much or more than my MKIII .22/45 5.5 inch bull barrel with adjustable sights. No pot metal but the .22/45 is limited to a poly frame and non replaceable grips. Shoots like a dream and that is stock without the volq. sear which is a great help I hear.
GTF link...
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/ great pics on all mods. and simple and deep stripping...
Brent

Dingoboyx

P22 is agreat little gun

Only problem some people have is if they have big hands, the grip is fairly short, although I am told you can get grip extending mags. If you get a new one, you might find it missfeeds a little at first, until it "runs in". Mine has done about 1000 rounds now and cycles perfectly.

Go the P22

Google search the "P22 Bible" worth looking at and keeping for future reference

Muzza

mrt949

Have One Use It For Point Shooting Practice For My M@p C 40 Sw .cheap To Shoot .likes Federal Bulk 550.

Motownstan

I love mine, work well with CCI Stingers, Mini Mags, Velocitors, Federal bulk. Easy to remove slide, some people think it's hard to re assemble, But after doing it a couple times I could do it with my eyes closed. I've got about 800 rounds thru only a couple FTF's with some cheap Winchester ammo.

chris in va

I voted 'positive' but it was my friend's gun.

It fired everything just fine with no malfunctions save for the usual bad primer.

One thing though, there's a LOT of fragile plastic on the gun. The front sight fell off, and the plastic takedown levers snapped off.

Ozzieman

I really like my P22, I even have large hands. To me it fits my hands better than a PPKs and the little thing is a blast to shoot.
For a 22 plinker I prefer a Ruger but for training someone new to guns, this gun is a lot better since its much closer to most carry autos today.
The gun overall has been flawless in over 400 rounds of stingers until I trashed one magazine from accidentally dropping it on concrete.
Would I suggest the P22 to others?
If the gun is the size that fits your hands and you want a fun plinker yes.
If you want a target 22, no.
I like the P22 enough that when they come out with the gun in .380, I will buy one for my wife.

JWT

Go for it. They're not the worlds best made gun, nor the most accurate. But they are about as much fun to shoot as anything I've ever owned. Definitely a plinker rather than a target gun. Mine functions flawlessly on Federal or CCI Blazer bulk pack ammo and that makes it quite cheap to shoot.

Tex S

I voted negative, but I have never actually owned a P22.

My roomate did own one though, and it went back to Walther twice with decocker issues. I cant really remember, but I think he also had issues with low velocity ammo not cycling the action.

It was a real cool pistol but not very reliable.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
In my research i learned of various upgrades making older ones suspect. There are letter/number variations to signify these upgrades/improvements...
I fergit as I was after a used one and was turned off by this. I shopped in March 08 and the used ones were as much as I paid for my MKIII .22/45 I thought would be out of my budget so I went american made... on a quality platform... Have fun in your quest, hope your brother is happy with what ever you get!
Brent

Chris_B

My roomate did own one though, and it went back to Walther twice with decocker issues

Hopefully, he sent it to Smith and Wesson :D

here's a place to get good bad and ugly on the P22

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I love my little P22. Let's see...700 rounds, not a single misfeed yet. Four or five failures to fire, but that's rimfire for you

This is 33 feet with the 3.4" barrel. 10 shots from a rest, then ten shots off-hand. 8-ring is 6" diameter

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Corvettekid

I have had my P22 for about 6 years now. I have about 1500 rounds through it and it has been pretty good up until I tried to feed it Winchester White Box through it. I was ready to send it to S&W but I tried some CCI Regular velocity ammo and it worked perfectly. My wife likes to shoot it at the range when she needs a break from her .38. Mine is pretty accurate and is easy to take apart and re assemble. I have pretty big hands but the back of the grip is adjustable and one of my magazines came with an extension on it. This is about the same size as my Glock 27 but thinner. In fact if I want to carry it in a holster, I use the same one I use for my Glock.

Dingoboyx

Low velocity ammo can cause probs with alot of semiautos feeding

Especially if you have lots of toys on it like the red or green dot sights and things. I saw a post on you tube on a P22 suppressed, he was using LV ammo and it miss cycled every second shot or so. No wonder really, the reduced charge to reduce muzzle velocity hasnt got the grunt to rack the slide. I guess if you wanted to always use LV, there might be a weaker spring available, and in the P22 Bible (google it) goes over slicking the slide to hammer contact. Evidently some P22's have a little bit of an issue with the slide getting lifted as it runs over the cocking hammer, which, coz of the extra friction this causes, can interfere with an clean cycle. you can clean this up without completely disassembling the gun.

On the note of the hand size vs grip length, I was playing with mine just now, I think its fair to say there is a certain intermediate size of hand that the shooter might feel uncomfortable. My hand is fairly big and I find most comfortable to shoot with my little pinky curled under the mag (grip) especially with the stock flat footed mags. The other ones I have bought have a short extention and pinky can go either under or around. If someone were to have a hand just the wrong size (pinky wants to be around the grip, but slips under while firing, and cant get comfortable with pinky curled under) maybe the gun wouldnt suit them. Best try renting one or shoot a mates P22 to see if you like it, before splashing the cash and finding out later :rolleyes: