need advice for an anti-gun girlfriend who feels mace is enough.

Lord Grey Boots

I'd give her a print out of Tamara's real life use of pepper spray, when it didn't work, and Tamara had to shove a Glock 20 up the predators nose.

MeekAndMild

I think I'd be tempted to tell her to go in peace then not call her again. Remember that if you have children together they will inherit some of her anti survival tendancies. While politics comes and goes Darwin is always right in the end.

Dennis if you don't mind tonight, would you post next Tuesday's closing prices of Microsoft and McDonalds? Also it would be nice to get an early line on next year's World Series winner. :)

fix

It's a good idea to remember that weapons of this type are not designed to be fight stoppers. They are designed to buy time. Can she run fast? If so, teach her to spray and run immediately. If she's slow, teach her to spray...count to 5 and follow up with a few kicks and an elbow or two, while screaming her head off. The better choice is running, but victims that fight back tend to send attackers looking for a new line of work. If indeed she's the "fightin' type" get her a spring loaded baton and teach her to use the spray to buy time to pull the baton and start wailing on him...

MitchSchaft

Sorry, MeekAndMild, but that is not an option and I believe Darwin to be full of **** in the fist place:). But, thanks for the helpful reply... :rolleyes:
Fix, that is a better way to look at it. She is definately a fighter. But, I'd rather she run. I will definately bring that point up next time we have this discussion.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Very strange = I'm gettin e-mail posts that bruels is posting at 6:18PM mountain time & I'm not getting anything here at CO/MST local .... whatever ... seems we still have a "unhooked" time sinch, at the least ... & tamara's has never posted at all, that I can see/read ... who can say as to this discussion/TFL's hosed for this timeframe ......

... in any event, & to date ) ... (for what I can read/see) ...
latest I could see was that MitchSchaft's GF was way uncomfortable with "hurting" someone attacking, but "OK" with (maybe - again this thread's gone to the dump re linearity) .... w/"spraying" somebody" .....

MitchSchaft,

Sounds like, from her current standpoint, best "you" can hope for is for her to spray 'n run - you know the drill (& please, x'plain it to her, best you can - over 'n over) ... it won't "save" her, but it is about the best you can have for her - at her level of "conditioning."

... after reading my last -= a ton was lost ... what's happening with TFLs whathave you ... ?

No flames, but it has taken a ump lately ....

.....................................:confused:

'course, you knew that, & sory for the extra bandwidth .... :(

ghillieman

DONT BE DUMB, GET A NEW GUN AND A NEW GIRLFRIEND!! IF YOU DONT YOU"LL ONLY HAVE PROBS DOWN THE ROAD. WHEN YOU GET MARRIED TO AN ANTI-GUNNER FOR A SPOUSE IT IS A CURSE... GIRLS MAY COME AND GO BUT MR COLT STAYS YOUR FRIEND FOR LIFE

MitchSchaft

Just to let you know, she was a stricted vegetarian when we first started dating. One day she came up to me and said she was craving some McDonald's chicken nuggets. We went to McDonald's and she ate a 20 piece all by herself. Nowadays she likes eating steak and the whole nine yards. There is hope, my brotha.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
labgrade - Everything seems OK with the time/date thing in the last 24 hours or so. Tamara's experience with pepper spray appeared long ago and far away and was never in this thread. Here's her experience in her own words: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48610

GHILLIEMAN: Perhaps you missed the part where MitchShaft inferred that he cares about his girlfriend and wants what is best for her. I really don't think that DUMPING HER would be a prudent action with this in mind.

Zander

She even told me once that if she gets attacked/killed then it's meant to be and it was her time.
With all due respect [and acknowledging that her comments were some time ago], I've found that such expressions are usually lies.

The most die-hard "pacifist" is likely to fight like a cornered dog when her very existence is threatened.

It sounds like your GF is making progress. You might want to expose her to such excellent treatises as Jeffrey Snyder's "Nation of Cowards" wherein the moral imperative of defending oneself is discussed.

And don't ever let her forget that some self-defense "weapons" require usage at contact distances in very questionable circumstances.

Good luck...and congratulations on your persistence. There's obviously something about this woman that inspires you to keep trying. :cool:

Thairlar

I think that patience and understanding go a long way to helping someone become comfortable with something they're unfamiliar with. Handing someone a gun to defend themselves with when they're not confident or comfortable with it probably isn't the best idea. If someone attacks her, she's showing that she's nervous and he says "You don't want to do that. If you give me your purse no one has to get hurt," as he holds a knife, will she hesitate or will she pull the trigger? If it's the latter, it's probably okay but she needs training to build confidence. If it's the former, she's probably not ready mentally to carry.

MitchSchaft

Oh, I know she was lying when she made that statement. She's also not anywhere near a pacifist. A couple weeks ago someone tapped her bumper by mistake while at a standstill in traffic and she got out of the car and went berzerk. The guy didn't even get out of his car:D . I'm still not sure why she made that statement, but she has definately changed her mindset concerning that. Just like with the chicken nuggets situation. She also doesn't allow guns in the house. Well, my hunting shotgun has been sitting in plain view for a week and she hasn't said a word. She'll probably say something when she gets mad at me for something(taking out the garbage, cleaning up, blah...).

MitchSchaft

Thanks for the reply, Thairlar. I don't intend for her to carry a firearm any time in the near future. I would just like her to get rid of that "I can control any situation" attitude. She's very headstrong and once she gets an idea in her head it's hard to get it out. If not impossible, so it seems. Patience is definately the key in this situation.

Jeff OTMG

Dennis, you can imagine my surprise when I saw you a post about your anti-gun girlfriend. Being a bit public with your indescretion don't you think? ;)

MeekAndMild

Mitch, good luck.

BTW Darwin's first law is if your parents died before they had children then you won't have children either. ;)