NBC New York is Shocked to Learn Effect of SAFE Act

OuTcAsT

44 AMP Wrote;
I graduated High School in 75. There was nothing then like today.

Agreed, That was my "era" as well. Another difference was back then, you could walk through the parking lot and it was hard to find a pickup that did not have a gun rack in back with either a shotgun, Rifle, or Bow on it.

Also, many of my teachers carried in school.

Mike1234

I graduated HS in 1979. The worst problems throughout my K-12 years were a few bullies and some pot-heads... and teachers who were so jaded that they'd given up on most students. The latter problem was far worse than the former two and made the K-12 school experience literally unbearable due to total apathy and abuse by those who were supposedly our mentors. I truly hated school from 2nd grade and beyond. That stated, I never once thought of lashing out against others with violence... but I was often suicidal though I never tried anything that drastic. Schools in Lubbbock, TX... not the best for certain.

My son had similar problems in Lubbock and San Antonio public schools. He did well in private schools. Maybe all Texas public schools suck?

Last edited:

Armed_Chicagoan

OuTcAsT said:
Agreed, That was my "era" as well. Another difference was back then, you could walk through the parking lot and it was hard to find a pickup that did not have a gun rack in back with either a shotgun, Rifle, or Bow on it.

Also, many of my teachers carried in school.
But your perception does not match reality, Tennessee's murder rate in 1975 was nearly double what it is today: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/tncrime.htm

1971-1977 were some of the deadliest years in US history.

44 AMP

Staff
Murder rate statistics are a way of looking at how "bad" the times are, but only as "overall", and do not reflect the conditions of specific areas.

A rural low crime area is the reality for the people who live and grow up there. Sadly, so is a high crime urban area, for the people there.

Despite what the overall numbers are, if you were in a good area then, it was good. Lower numbers of murders now means the bad areas aren't as bad as they were, that's about all.

I grew up in northern NY state. Low crime, murder was rare. That was reality. The fact that people may (or may not) have been killing each other by the truck load in NYC (couple hundred miles south) didn't affect my reality at all at that time.

News Flash! It appears that NY residents are soon going to experience another effect of the SAFE Act. It seems Remington is going to move a lot, if not most of its businesses south.