National Reciprocity part Deux

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
No.

The way this law is worded, you would only be allowed to carry in your home State, if you had a permit from your home State.

MLeake

The possible flipside of that...

... is that in states like NY or NJ, if out-of-state folk could suddenly carry more easily than residents, odds are it would greatly ratchet up the pressure on those states' legislatures to reform their permit issue procedures.

It could be uncomfortable explaining to constituents why the guys from Florida and Alabama can carry in NYC, when New Yorkers can't...

karcirate

NYC is a separate area, but carry permits are issued there by the city (once every 15 years or so), so you probably would be able to carry there.

swinokur

The law says STATES have to recognize other states' permits. If NYC has their own permit system, I am not sure they would be compelled to recognize other state permits since they are a CITY.

Mayor Nanny Bloomberg will do everything in his power to prevent it even if it's legal. Guess we'll see.

Part of requiring a state to recognize federal law would include requiring the state to bring local jurisdictions that are under it's purview into compliance.

alloy

Maybe it's a step in the right direction but with the current state of affairs I'd rather not have CCW be another political football for an administration to selectively enforce or not enforce, prosecute or not prosecute, like a few different issues of late.

I feel a little better with the agreement my state has with another, compared to any agreement my state might have with the federal government. Getting "caught" in a state that doesn't want you and your handgun there...it will be a while before I care to take that chance, and expect this federal government to back up the citizen.

JerryM

It seems to me that if the Federal Govt can tell the states that they have to recognize other state's permits, the Feds can tell the states they cannot.

In my view it is a matter of state's rights. I wish all states recognized all permits, but I don't want the Feds to dictate it.

Regards,
Jerry

swinokur

How can FOPA be ok for people if the Feds can tell the states that their gun laws cannot be used if someone is transporting a weapon? But they do. Ifyou have no problem with FOPA 926A, this law should not bother you.

motorhead0922

In my view it is a matter of state's rights.

I hear you Jerry. Amendment 10 severely limits the reach of the federal government to areas specifically mentioned in the various articles. Many, many federal laws are unconstitutional per amendment 10, but have not been successfully challenged (shame on us). However, gun ownership is specifically under federal protection per 2A. I believe therefore that it is unconstitutional for a state or city to restrict firearms in any way. Some federal restrictions are constitutional.