National Match EBR

kraigwy

I'd like CMP to get into the habit of providing SERVICE ammunition for matches, too.

They use to, or at least when it was DCM. When I started shooting HP and EIC matches. DCM issued the ammo and it had to be used by everyone. The Match also cost a "Dollar" to shoot. Thats how we got more people to shoot the match. Where else can you shoot 50 rounds of rifle ammo for $1.00.

Also back then you couldn't use mats, and you had to load from the person. (the extra mag or clip in rapid fire had to be in a pouch, pocket, etc, and not laid on the ground).

Also 200 & 300 yard rapid fire was 50 & 60 seconds respectively.

I remember one lot of M72 ('06 match ammo) that wouldn't work. Seems like someone at LC forgot to put the flash hole in the brass. I was teaching sniper schools using M1C/Ds at the time as was able to furnish some M-72 so we could shoot the match.

Those were the fun days of Leg Match Shooting.

4EVERM-14

Oh, for the DCM days.
$2.00 match entries,M72, M118 or M852 issued. Couldn't get any better.
It's the gamesmanship of the American shooter trying to improve his performance within the rules that brought about glass bedded actions, heavy barrels and repeatable sights. Past presidents[Clinton] are responsible for the reduction of support for the marksmanship programs we all enjoyed. With no support funds the rules were relaxed to allow handloads and match fees rose to cover costs. And people wonder why Johnny can't shoot.

David

kraigwy

OK I'm gonna beg to differ here:

Under DCM the program was funded by congress, you never knew how much funding you were gonna get per year. We were at the wims of congress.

DCM was strickly military run, their staff was good, but small. Because of the limited staff it took me over a year to get my DR Badge after I got the required points. It took forever to get a rifle from DCM, only a few a year. (and they lost my pistol leg points).

Now, Under CMP, they don't rely on congress. They are self funded by the sales of guns, ammo, etc. Their programs don't depend on the whims of congress, changing from one year to the next.

CMP has vastly expanded their programs (because of the larger staffs). With programs for JRs, CMP vintage rifle and sporter rimfire games, plus the GSM Master Instructor programs which provide instruction in GSM Vintage Rifle, Rimfire Sporter and assistance to the AMUs desinated Marksmanship programs via these Master Instructors.

I liked the DCM program, I don't fault them, but because of the funding by congress, they couldnt provide the programs that the CMP provides today.

P-990

These 20+ pound "service rifle" AR-15's with lead in the buttstock, free-floated (but only HIDDEN free-floating... not a visible float-tube!) and deliberate lead-weighted handguards, and non-standard 1/4MOA click rear sights and 4MOA wide front sights are NOT service rifles.

I'd like CMP to get into the habit of providing SERVICE ammunition for matches, too. Declare it will be an M193 match, or M855 match, and give all shooters the necessary rounds from a lot the match director provides.

Then make all rifles come in under a 10 pound weight limit. With 1MOA rear sight adjustments and 8MOA front posts, like a standard service rifle has.

Ever get your hands on a match prepped M1A/M-14 or M-1 Garand? Even BEFORE the AR, the rifles were lead lined, weighted and balanced at 14-16 pounds. Oh, and they used 1/2-MOA sights too. These are just my observations of being allowed to handle these rifles, having never been given one to fire. These rifles are owned by people who now shoot the mouse guns in competition. And an International-style smallbore rifle will be around 11 pounds all up, and that's a .22LR! (IIRC the weight limit is 5.5-kg)

Thread drift: Most of the shooters I know think the AR-15 is a great thing to the sport of Highpower. It allows smaller statured and young people an opportunity to participate. It is also cheap to feed and maintain compared to the wood-and-steel rifles.

But I am curious how SR420's rifle shoots now. We just have a teaser picture of it mounted on a bench on a nice sunny day!