National Match EBR

SR420

M14 EBR-RINM-SEI

IMAG0024.jpg

SR420

Not that I care, but....

Per EBRbuilder @ TACOM RI:

"The National Match version will be for use during competition in national Matches.
Right now we are working with the USAR Marksmanship Unit and have built four of them so far.
We are working to get the EBR certified as a service rifle since we have fielded more of them that M24s and M110s combined. "

kraigwy

Set up right, meaning irons and proper trigger weight it can be used in NRA HP matches. It could be used as a Match Rifle, but not Service Rifle.

FoxtrotRomeo

This is almost the exact same idea I had and am saving up for.

Set up right, meaning irons and proper trigger weight it can be used in NRA HP matches. It could be used as a Match Rifle, but not Service Rifle.

I beg to differ. The M21 started out as an NM M1A and like the lil sweetie that started this topic, they added a scope and this and that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M21_Sniper_Weapon_System

That sweet lil honey is basically an M21A1 SWS (My model designation, not the military's.).

kraigwy

Service Rifle rules ref M14/M1A

6.2.2 U.S. Rifl e, Caliber 7.62mm, M14
The rifl e must be a rifl e that was issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or a commercial
rifl e of the same type and caliber. M14 rifl es must be chambered for
the 7.62mm cartridge and comply with the following specifi c requirements.
(1) Stock dimensions must be no more than 2 inches wide at a point immediately
to the rear of the front band, no more than 2.5 inches wide at the
front and rear of the receiver, and have a continuous taper from receiver
to front band. The width at the receiver may be carried through to the butt
plate.
(2) To improve operation, the spindle valve may be locked in the open position
and the gas cylinder plug may be altered by making an axial hole in
the center that is approximately 1/64” in diameter.
(3) The hinged butt plate may only be used in the folded position.
(4) The M1 Garand butt plate may be used as a substitute for the standard
M14 hinged butt plate.
(6) Magazine capacity may not exceed 20 rounds. All M14 or similar commercial
rifl es must be used with full-length 10 or 20 round capacity magazines.
Magazines with a maximum capacity of 10 rounds may be used,
provided the length of the magazine box is the same as the standard
service 20-round magazine.
(7) Vented barrel extensions with the same external dimensions as the M14
fl ash suppressor, but without the bayonet lug, may be installed. A muzzle
brake designed to reduce recoil is not permitted.
(8) The rifl e must comply with external and stock dimensions given in the
table below.
table below:
Ref. Maximum allowable dimensions
(1) Depth immediately behind stock ferrule 3 ¼”
(2) Depth at front end of trigger housing bedding pads 4”
(3) Depth at front toe of pistol grip 6 ⅛”
(4) Depth at toe of stock 8”
(5) Distance from rear of magazine (inserted and
locked) across top of magazine release to toe of
pistol grip
Not less than
6 ¼”
(6) Width at front end of trigger housing bedding pads 2 ½”
(7) Total length from tip of suppressor to butt plate 45

4EVERM-14

They are beautiful rifles but they're not BASIC infantry rifles. National Match Course shooting is a place to refine the fundamentals of shooting with rifles of minimal accessories. Yes rifles can be modified internally but must maintain their traditional appearance. Matches will be organized to take full use of tacticool equipment but the tradition of the Rifleman with basic equipment infantry arms is the core of shooting the National Match Course with the Service Rifle.

David

SR420

I'm setting my rifle up as my personal SASS and I don't plan on shooting in any matches that don't recognize the M14 EBR.

FoxtrotRomeo

I'm setting my rifle up as my personal SASS and I don't plan on shooting in any matches that don't recognize the M14 EBR.

Amen.

Traditional looking stock or not, the old dog now has a new trick. People need to just accept the inevitable.

"The only thing constant, is change." Obama's change is even constant. Constantly bovine anal excrement. :)

You won't hear me complain about the no scope rule but the traditional stock rule is now kinna stupid with the emergence of the EBR stock.

Even the USMC DMs are giving up the fiberglass stocks for the EBR stocks.

And so will I. I like that the EBR stocks just plain allow you to do more with a classic and time proven design. It's like plastic surgery on your wife, if you can afford it and she wants it, I doubt you're gonna say no. lol

bow, chicka wow wow. lol

basic equipment infantry arms

This is like NASCAR still running stock looking cars on carburetors instead of full injection like the rest of the modern world (which NASCAR still does). If it was truely basic infantry arms it would be ARs in 5.56/.223 and not M1As and M1 Garands. Those haven't been standard (aka basic) issue in a while now.

P-990

This is like NASCAR still running stock looking cars on carburetors instead of full injection like the rest of the modern world (which NASCAR still does). If it was truely basic infantry arms it would be ARs in 5.56/.223 and not M1As and M1 Garands. Those haven't been standard (aka basic) issue in a while now.

Walk the line at a Highpower match sometime, in Service Rifle it IS ARs in 5.56/.223, with a smattering of the dinosaur rifles here and there. Of course we are using rifles based on the 20" A2 and A4 pattern, not the M4 carbine pattern. But the mouse guns dominate the sport.

As to the OP's rifle, very nice looking setup. But as mentioned already, it's not National Match. It is a nice shooting precision rifle though. And that is good in its own right.

FoxtrotRomeo

Walk the line at a Highpower match sometime, in Service Rifle it IS ARs in 5.56/.223, with a smattering of the dinosaur rifles here and there. Of course we are using rifles based on the 20" A2 and A4 pattern, not the M4 carbine pattern. But the mouse guns dominate the sport.

As to the OP's rifle, very nice looking setup. But as mentioned already, it's not National Match. It is a nice shooting precision rifle though. And that is good in its own right.

I had heard they were allowing the ARs in. I was just going by the rules dude posted above about the stock thickness.

As for the A2 and A4 patterns, I can see how that'd work. A2 are still being used standard issue (At least at the opening of the OIF and OEF) and the A4s are obviously standard equipment for the USMC.

He prolly bought it as an M1A "National Match" from SA. The original stock would work, but he changed the stock out.

So if that's the case. It is, but it isn't NM. It's an NM by name but until he reinstalls the dinosaur stock, it's not fit to compete so it's not NM.

He can shoot with me anytime. :)

P-990

He prolly bought it as an M1A "National Match" from SA. The original stock would work, but he changed the stock out.

So if that's the case. It is, but it isn't NM. It's an NM by name but until he reinstalls the dinosaur stock, it's not fit to compete so it's not NM.

He can shoot with me anytime.

Oh, I'm not saying he's unwelcome to come shoot with us anytime either. Just a matter of terminology of what the item at hand is.

Like when somebody shows off their new ".22 target rifle" and you get a picture of a 10/22. Sure, it's a .22, and it's a rifle, but it ain't a "target" gun in the context of most competitive shooters, if you understand what I mean.

And the NRA has written rules to accomodate the M-110 as a "Service Rifle" as long as used with iron sights. But the CMP still only allows M-1 Garands, M-1A/M-14 types and AR-15A2/A4s. The rules to allow the A4 variant are fairly recent still, within the last 5 years as I recall.

P-990

kraigwy,

Believe me, I say "dinosaur rifle" tongue-in-cheek! ;) I also refer to my AR as a rat rifle and a mouse gun. Bolt gun at our local matches are stick-shifts. You can probably see how this goes... :D

FoxtrotRomeo

Those dinosaur rifles still work. Got me my distinguished badge. Shot some good 1000 yard scores too.

Oh I went with "dinosaur" with love trust me. I love me an M1A that's all there is to it.

Myself and a Vietnam Vet used to talk shop about the M14/M1A all the time. He wanted one of the Scout models. I like the full length models.

jrothWA

Service rifle is now a joke...

what weight is the M16's used by the AMU, Marines, etc? No where near what the issued rifle is.

Go back to original intent, everyone draws same ammo, loads the second mag from the belt ( since we now can be in position, before the targets rise)

I enjoy showing up to a NMC match with my M1 in 7.62, I have fun! Also renews my "supporter" card.

azredhawk44

jroth is totally right.

These 20+ pound "service rifle" AR-15's with lead in the buttstock, free-floated (but only HIDDEN free-floating... not a visible float-tube!:rolleyes:) and deliberate lead-weighted handguards, and non-standard 1/4MOA click rear sights and 4MOA wide front sights are NOT service rifles.

I'd like CMP to get into the habit of providing SERVICE ammunition for matches, too. Declare it will be an M193 match, or M855 match, and give all shooters the necessary rounds from a lot the match director provides.

Then make all rifles come in under a 10 pound weight limit. With 1MOA rear sight adjustments and 8MOA front posts, like a standard service rifle has.